+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cameron Coxe released.....

Re: Cameron Coxe released.....

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    the harsh truth of modern day football such a cut throat business

with the ever decreasing numbers of young pros failing to make the grade coming through the ranks is there any point in academys these days with the money spent on them ?
    It was harder 20 or 30 years ago, no u23 teams which seems to me like an extension of youth team football and seems to allow clubs and afford young pros more time to develop, although that doesn't seem to be working at our club. It used to be to years YTS, a player was called in half way through the second year and basically told that if they didn't do something special in the final 6 moths of their contract then they were out. If a player made the grade then they were given a pro contract at 18 (in 1990 that was £125 per week) and they then trained with the first team and played for the reserves until they were deemed good enough. No messing about, it was down to the young player to impose himself on the manager and coaching staff. Young players learnt on the job against seasoned Pros.

I've not been convinced of the value of a reserve set up. Brentford dont bother and look where they are.
    On the other hand Swansea Town have done well with their Cat 1 status.
    Best of luck to the youngsters released. I suspect a couple of them have clubs lined up already.

yeah that was years ago tuerto but modern day clubs spend a small fortune to make a pro football and 99.8% fail

to me that's not value for money . no fancy academys back then

to me we should we should regional our talented young players not attaching them to football clubs to all our 4 associations rather trying to make a kid spend years in an academy with no or little chance of making the grade

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    yeah that was years ago tuerto but modern day clubs spend a small fortune to make a pro football and 99.8% fail

to me that's not value for money . no fancy academys back then

to me we should we should regional our talented young players not attaching them to football clubs to all our 4 associations rather trying to make a kid spend years in an academy with no or little chance of making the grade
    It's always been the case. out of my age group only two players made the grade, Damon Searle and Nathan Blake, in the year below it was Nathan Jones, they all went on to have full careers, that was three out of about 35 lads, actually not a bad return. I really think that if a player is good enough and they have decent coaches then they'll make the grade and end up where their ability and character allows them. I think that players can be over coached into something bland and generic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It's always been the case. out of my age group only two players made the grade, Damon Searle and Nathan Blake, in the year below it was Nathan Jones, they all went on to have full careers, that was three out of about 35 lads, actually not a bad return. I really think that if a player is good enough and they have decent coaches then they'll make the grade and end up where their ability and character allows them. I think that players can be over coached into something bland and generic.
    What about players that are good enough but don't have the discipline and work ethic to succeed? There must be plenty of them.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    What about players that are good enough but don't have the discipline and work ethic to succeed? There must be plenty of them.
    loads mate, in my experience it was the players who worked hardest who ended up making the grade, the ones who made sacrifices. Plenty out there with ability and natural talent, it means nothing if you don't work hard.

Let’s hope they all have a sell on clause like bale

No offence mate but a completely different era.

Plus, we were in the dungeon then. We weren’t an established top half championship club with money thrown at transfers.

loads mate, in my experience it was the players who worked hardest who ended up making the grade, the ones who made sacrifices. Plenty out there with ability and natural talent, it means nothing if you don't work hard.
    I guess that's something you can't coach. Although, it seems these days senior players are much more serious about their health and fitness and concentration levels and imagine that the young players see what it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    No offence mate but a completely different era.

Plus, we were in the dungeon then. We weren’t an established top half championship club with money thrown at transfers.
    None taken, sorry for being a bit thick, but apart from the observations you've made, what is the point that you're making?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    If these lads are 20/21 then as a mate said ‘if they were that good they would be playing regularly by now’

Only Coxe has got near out of that lot and unfortunately it didn’t work out.

Seems harsh and I’d expect it was a tough decision for him, but better for these lads to know sooner rather than later and now the next year or 2 will get the chance to step up and make an impression.

Good luck to these lads .
    Totally agree Tim, I don’t think it does lads any good hanging around too long when they’re in their early 20s. In fact in a perfect football world I want to see players of 18/19 in the first team. In the big picture 22 & 23 year olds, if they haven’t made it by then at their club, should be let go. It doesn’t really matter if they make it big later, all that proves is that they weren’t a good fit at their original club. And it follows that we pick up players in their mid 20s who weren’t perfect fits at their previous clubs, Etheridge, Mendez-Laing etc, players who’d been shown the door in their younger days by clubs at our level or higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    In morrisson we trust.
    New broom etc. Start from scratch. Football is not about sentiment.
    I'm going to withhold my trust for a bit longer than about a fortnight and one game in charge. That said, I'd be surprised if Steve Morrison had a great deal to do with the decision to let these players go.

I say that because back in the days when our Development team consisted mostly of home grown players, you'd get the odd trialist who playing for the team from about the end of February onwards (Semi Ajayi was one of them). Invariably, these were players who had been told by the clubs they were contracted to that they would not be getting a new deal in the summer and so they were quite happy for them to play for other sides in the hope they would impress them enough to be taken on permanently. It was similar with the Academy team - usually around this time of year there would be a change in the make of of the team as younger players came in and the ones told they would not be offered pro deals dropped out.

As for those released, I watched Connor Davies in a Welsh Youth Cup Final when I believe he was just fifteen and he definitely had something about him, but he's been out on loan at Weston. It was originally for a season, but I notice he came on as a sub in the Under 23s' last game, so maybe it was ended early. Getting a loan to play a season in senior football at seventeen strikes me as pretty impressive, so I'm a little surprised he has been released, but I'm not really surprised about the others.

Sadly, this includes Cameron Coxe. Looking at it from the club's perspective, I do feel that decisions about releasing young players should be made no later than the expiry of their first professional contract and this is the situation that Coxe finds himself in. However, I go back to when Wales were invited to compete in the prestigious Toulon Under 20 tournament in 2017 where they acquitted themselves well in getting five points from their three group matches. All of the games were televised live and you only had to listen to the commentators to learn that Coxe was one of the best Welsh performers in each game - this in a squad which included Joe Rodon, George Thomas, Tyler Roberts, Dan James and Chris Mepham.

Coxe played in the manner of a modern, attack minded full back full back in those games and also did so in the Academy games I saw him play, but, to some extent with the under 23s and to a large extent in the first team, he was deployed more defensively.

You can say that, unlike so many, Coxe at least had the chance to play some first team football, but, given the general level of performance in cup matches in recent years, all four of the games he played were occasions where it would be very hard for any young player to impress. Unfortunately, despite senior players being just as culpable as he was, Coxe could be faulted for his part in at least two of the goals conceded in the games against Carlisle and, as mentioned earlier, the writing was on the wall for him when Dion Sanderson was signed - when I think back to Cameron Coxe's time at Cardiff, I'll remember that the first team just weren't playing to his strengths when he got his, limited, opportunities.

Best of luck to all of those who have been let go.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Watch - in typical Cardiff City irony - as these players go on to big things!
    Really ? That does happen occasionally in football . The reality is we won’t be looking at any of them in 3 years time thinking what is wrong with our youth system .

If however, this exceptional circumstance does occur, I do expect a torrent of posts in true Cardiff City fashion crying about our poor perception of players abilities .

I watched Cardiff playing Chelsea a couple of years ago , Loftus Cheek was playing and he was exceptional . Their lads were light years away from ours . Even at the youth now it’s all about the money . The rich clubs plunder the poorer clubs for their talent . We are left with the dross .

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm going to withhold my trust for a bit longer than about a fortnight and one game in charge. That said, I'd be surprised if Steve Morrison had a great deal to do with the decision to let these players go.

I say that because back in the days when our Development team consisted mostly of home grown players, you'd get the odd trialist who playing for the team from about the end of February onwards (Semi Ajayi was one of them). Invariably, these were players who had been told by the clubs they were contracted to that they would not be getting a new deal in the summer and so they were quite happy for them to play for other sides in the hope they would impress them enough to be taken on permanently. It was similar with the Academy team - usually around this time of year there would be a change in the make of of the team as younger players came in and the ones told they would not be offered pro deals dropped out.

As for those released, I watched Connor Davies in a Welsh Youth Cup Final when I believe he was just fifteen and he definitely had something about him, but he's been out on loan at Weston. It was originally for a season, but I notice he came on as a sub in the Under 23s' last game, so maybe it was ended early. Getting a loan to play a season in senior football at seventeen strikes me as pretty impressive, so I'm a little surprised he has been released, but I'm not really surprised about the others.

Sadly, this includes Cameron Coxe. Looking at it from the club's perspective, I do feel that decisions about releasing young players should be made no later than the expiry of their first professional contract and this is the situation that Coxe finds himself in. However, I go back to when Wales were invited to compete in the prestigious Toulon Under 20 tournament in 2017 where they acquitted themselves well in getting five points from their three group matches. All of the games were televised live and you only had to listen to the commentators to learn that Coxe was one of the best Welsh performers in each game - this in a squad which included Joe Rodon, George Thomas, Tyler Roberts, Dan James and Chris Mepham.

Coxe played in the manner of a modern, attack minded full back full back in those games and also did so in the Academy games I saw him play, but, to some extent with the under 23s and to a large extent in the first team, he was deployed more defensively.

You can say that, unlike so many, Coxe at least had the chance to play some first team football, but, given the general level of performance in cup matches in recent years, all four of the games he played were occasions where it would be very hard for any young player to impress. Unfortunately, despite senior players being just as culpable as he was, Coxe could be faulted for his part in at least two of the goals conceded in the games against Carlisle and, as mentioned earlier, the writing was on the wall for him when Dion Sanderson was signed - when I think back to Cameron Coxe's time at Cardiff, I'll remember that the first team just weren't playing to his strengths when he got his, limited, opportunities.

Best of luck to all of those who have been let go.
    I might have been in the minority of one , but I actually liked what I saw from Coxe in patches .
    Despite my previous post , I wouldn’t be surprised to see him making a living playing football at some level .

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Totally agree Tim, I don’t think it does lads any good hanging around too long when they’re in their early 20s. In fact in a perfect football world I want to see players of 18/19 in the first team. In the big picture 22 & 23 year olds, if they haven’t made it by then at their club, should be let go. It doesn’t really matter if they make it big later, all that proves is that they weren’t a good fit at their original club. And it follows that we pick up players in their mid 20s who weren’t perfect fits at their previous clubs, Etheridge, Mendez-Laing etc, players who’d been shown the door in their younger days by clubs at our level or higher.
    👍

I don't think so, can't see a reason why the club would keep them on until the end of the season if they have no future at the club. Get rid of them, thank them for their services and lets start getting better players in. It also gives these lads a head start on finding another club. As for CC, maybe the writing was on the wall for him already, he had two chances to impress in the FA cup and he bombed, simple as that.
    Can you imagine being a young player hoping to impress and finding yourself on the field with older professionals who have been told to throw the game. It would hardly fill you with confidence.

Cameron Coxe:

On my limited viewing of his first team performances I always felt he would have been a little better suited to being a rwb in a sweeper system. That said my feeling was that he'd be most at home playing on the right of a midfield-four. It didn't strike me that he was a pure defender.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Well, if that's true about the club blocking loans four times, he has a right to be upset - I'm struggling to think of an argument as to why they should do that if he wasn't going to be playing for the first team

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    That's why I think it's unfair to suggest they're moving on because they're not good enough. I would imagine that, with notable exceptions aside, so many youth players either make it or don't on basis of being in right place at right time. This lot would have had a much better chance if Harris had been our manager two years ago and yet those aged two years younger are potentially being asked to learn in yet another new system that it may have come too late for some of them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I might have been in the minority of one , but I actually liked what I saw from Coxe in patches .
    Despite my previous post , I wouldn’t be surprised to see him making a living playing football at some level .
    But at what level?

Apparently we tried to get him a loan to a League Two club in the summer, but they didn't think he was good enough defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Well, if that's true about the club blocking loans four times, he has a right to be upset - I'm struggling to think of an argument as to why they should do that if he wasn't going to be playing for the first team
    It seems a bit of an odd thing to claim. Wouldn't the club be arranging the loan themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    It seems a bit of an odd thing to claim. Wouldn't the club be arranging the loan themselves?
    His father is bound to stick up for him. Can’t fault that really, although not sure about the half naked twitter photo 😂

Shame for the lad, it’s fine lines really , a couple of breaks could have gone the other way in the cup games and he’d have had a contract...but he won’t be the first or the last.

Hopefully it opens the door for another lad to come through.

I think Coxe has been shabbily treated. He obviously has/had potential. The goal in the home game v Carlisle was not totally his fault, Morrison had two opportunities to clear and the 'keeper flapped at a cross. He certainly is a decent footballer. But a number of City youngsters have left and found careers at a lower level before coming back up, Tom James and Tom Lockyer (who has also played for Wales). Aron Wildig has played in the lower levels of the FL for 10 years, and Semi Ajayi did well after he left us (although he did not come through our youth system). But there again others like Their Wharton and Tommy O'Sullivan disappeared. I quite liked Coxe and I am sure we'll see him fixed up next season (and then sold on for a hefty fee).

I was surprised when I saw these details, but to be fair its does give players who are being release a chance to go on trial elsewhere and earn a contract for next season with another club, as a poster above states. So what does seem harsh could in fact be very beneficial to those young players.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    No, I don't think so, clubs could have made enquiries about him with a view to taking him on loan and were turned down.