Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
So it's the system and level we perform at that is a contributory factor in a lack of youth development? I completely agree with you about the U23s, although joining the first team at 18 wouldn't have been easy although it could enhance a players chances as well.
It’s not meant to be easy. My cousin come through Swansea’s system and was August birthday so was 15 nearly 16 when he started his YTS with Swansea and moved to digs down there. He signed his first pro contract at 17 and made his first team debut at 18. He played over 100 games by the time he was Cameron Coxes age and got a move to the championship when he was 22.

His eldest son was with Cardiff until he was 21 and didn’t get a sniff of the first team. He went to Merthyr then another Southern Prem side but just fell out of the game. He doesn’t play football anymore not even local level. I think under 23s just prolongs the agony for some of these kids who were never going to make it. Its not preparing them for men’s football either in my opinion. He’s middle son is 19 and now with our under 23s and has been on the bench without playing once and travelled with the first team a couple of times. I don’t know if he’s one of he 8 released, I think he might have another year as he’s only first year pro. However his father was playing league football at his age so he’s got to be looking to go out on loan next season if he’s going to have any chance of making it. Another year at 19/20 in the under 23s will be another year wasted in my opinion.