+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cameron Coxe released.....

Re: Cameron Coxe released.....

If football is so brutal then shouldn't Warnock have left far earlier than he did for failing to promote and successfully develop a single youth player? It's only now that club is raising questions about his transfer spending but we'll never know how much of that £100 million we could have saved if any of these were given a run of three games on the bounce at some point within the past three years. For Warnock you could also read Trollope, Slade, OGS, MM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    So it's the system and level we perform at that is a contributory factor in a lack of youth development? I completely agree with you about the U23s, although joining the first team at 18 wouldn't have been easy although it could enhance a players chances as well.
    In my opinion yes. As a championship club without cat A status we haven’t the got the very best 18,19,20 year olds in the game and as a football club we’ve gone with signing ready made senior pros.

Had we been a League 2 club without the transfer budget we’ve enjoyed for the best part of a decade I have no doubt more lads would have been given more of a chance. After all, there’s quite a few ex Cardiff lads plying their trade in the lower leagues.

So it's the system and level we perform at that is a contributory factor in a lack of youth development? I completely agree with you about the U23s, although joining the first team at 18 wouldn't have been easy although it could enhance a players chances as well.
    It’s not meant to be easy. My cousin come through Swansea’s system and was August birthday so was 15 nearly 16 when he started his YTS with Swansea and moved to digs down there. He signed his first pro contract at 17 and made his first team debut at 18. He played over 100 games by the time he was Cameron Coxes age and got a move to the championship when he was 22.

His eldest son was with Cardiff until he was 21 and didn’t get a sniff of the first team. He went to Merthyr then another Southern Prem side but just fell out of the game. He doesn’t play football anymore not even local level. I think under 23s just prolongs the agony for some of these kids who were never going to make it. Its not preparing them for men’s football either in my opinion. He’s middle son is 19 and now with our under 23s and has been on the bench without playing once and travelled with the first team a couple of times. I don’t know if he’s one of he 8 released, I think he might have another year as he’s only first year pro. However his father was playing league football at his age so he’s got to be looking to go out on loan next season if he’s going to have any chance of making it. Another year at 19/20 in the under 23s will be another year wasted in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    think i posted this a few years ago but so apt even today

the side of academys no one talks about .it s a mugs game

http://www.parikiaki.com/2015/08/par...e-talks-about/
    Jesus. Reading the comments is depressing.

Is it not the case that if you have the talent and the work ethic you will make it? Surely these kinds of players are few and far between and valuable commodities?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Is it not the case that if you have the talent and the work ethic you will make it? Surely these kinds of players are few and far between and valuable commodities?
    He’s not exactly Trent Alexander Arnold!

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    It’s not meant to be easy. My cousin come through Swansea’s system and was August birthday so was 15 nearly 16 when he started his YTS with Swansea and moved to digs down there. He signed his first pro contract at 17 and made his first team debut at 18. He played over 100 games by the time he was Cameron Coxes age and got a move to the championship when he was 22.

His eldest son was with Cardiff until he was 21 and didn’t get a sniff of the first team. He went to Merthyr then another Southern Prem side but just fell out of the game. He doesn’t play football anymore not even local level. I think under 23s just prolongs the agony for some of these kids who were never going to make it. Its not preparing them for men’s football either in my opinion. He’s middle son is 19 and now with our under 23s and has been on the bench without playing once and travelled with the first team a couple of times. I don’t know if he’s one of he 8 released, I think he might have another year as he’s only first year pro. However his father was playing league football at his age so he’s got to be looking to go out on loan next season if he’s going to have any chance of making it. Another year at 19/20 in the under 23s will be another year wasted in my opinion.
    I know that it isn't easy, i was with CCFC for 6 years, didn't get a pro contract, played for the reserves.

He’s not exactly Trent Alexander Arnold!
    I wasn't referring to anyone specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Watch - in typical Cardiff City irony - as these players go on to big things!
    I’d love it judging from some of the cut-throat responses on here.

The amount of quality players that would never have made it after having bombed in two games.

I wonder what sort of insight SM could have got after being here for a few weeks.

County will be rubbing their hands.

Ofcourse it wont be so brutal, they've proved themselves to be able performers at this level over a period of years, they have history to back them up, that's how it works. Most of those Experienced pros would've been in the position Coxe and co were in at some point, it's not like they haven't gone through the process. The brutal bit comes when it's contract renewal time.
    If there is one single thing which illustrates how the approach to youth development has changed at Cardiff City over the past few years, it's the question Binge Thinking asked on here a few seasons back. Apologies to Richard if I've got this wrong, but it was along the lines of what happened in just six games at Cardiff City in the twentieth century, but in all but two matches during 2014/15 I believe it was? The answer was City played a league game without a single Welshman in their squad.
    I watched City sides I rate as a lot better than this one finish higher in the old Second Division in the 60s and 70s than we are currently in the Championship with a nucleus of Welsh, mostly home grown, players in the team, so the line about younger players not being able to break through because the standards are so much higher these days does not wash with me. Similarly, during the time you were at the club, there were always locally born youngsters graduating into the first team, so, brutal or not, a teenager on City's books could believe there was a way of making it into your local club's senior team because there were plenty of others who had done so.
    This has gradually stopped happening in the last decade and the current under 18 team would have been less than ten when the last player to break through and nail down a regular place in the first team was given his debut and, even then, most of Joe Ralls' development years were spent at Farnborough Town.
    It seems to me that one of three different things, or maybe a combination of two or all three, have happened since Ralls' debut in 2011. Either, the Academy talent spotters are doing a poorer job than their equivalents did since we played our first Football League games in 1920. City have always struggled to attract the very best local talent, so, again, the line that the best youngsters all go to the big clubs with category One Academies doesn't wash with me - we were always able to produce young talent that would come into the first team and, in many cases, improve it. Second, despite all of the money thrown at it, there is a poor standard of coaching at the Academy which hinders, rather than helps, the development of talented youngsters - there is always good representation from Cardiff in Wales age group sides all the way up to Under 19 level, something which makes me favour option two over option one. Finally, managers are less willing to take a risk on youth because, by and large, the Cardiff way has become to throw money at potential selection issues by giving them funds to spend on a series of players who have come here with, being charitable, mixed results.
    I daresay there has been some pressure from above on managers for instant results which has contributed to option three as well, but my feeling is that it is options two and three that are most relevant when it comes to the failure, and it has been a total failure over the past five or six seasons, of our Academy when it comes to what should be its primary function.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If there is one single thing which illustrates how the approach to youth development has changed at Cardiff City over the past few years, it's the question Binge Thinking asked on here a few seasons back. Apologies to Richard if I've got this wrong, but it was along the lines of what happened in just six games at Cardiff City in the twentieth century, but in all but two matches during 2014/15 I believe it was? The answer was City played a league game without a single Welshman in their squad.
    I watched City sides I rate as a lot better than this one finish higher in the old Second Division in the 60s and 70s than we are currently in the Championship with a nucleus of Welsh, mostly home grown, players in the team, so the line about younger players not being able to break through because the standards are so much higher these days does not wash with me. Similarly, during the time you were at the club, there were always locally born youngsters graduating into the first team, so, brutal or not, a teenager on City's books could believe there was a way of making it into your local club's senior team because there were plenty of others who had done so.
    This has gradually stopped happening in the last decade and the current under 18 team would have been less than ten when the last player to break through and nail down a regular place in the first team was given his debut and, even then, most of Joe Ralls' development years were spent at Farnborough Town.
    It seems to me that one of three different things, or maybe a combination of two or all three, have happened since Ralls' debut in 2011. Either, the Academy talent spotters are doing a poorer job than their equivalents did since we played our first Football League games in 1920. City have always struggled to attract the very best local talent, so, again, the line that the best youngsters all go to the big clubs with category One Academies doesn't wash with me - we were always able to produce young talent that would come into the first team and, in many cases, improve it. Second, despite all of the money thrown at it, there is a poor standard of coaching at the Academy which hinders, rather than helps, the development of talented youngsters - there is always good representation from Cardiff in Wales age group sides all the way up to Under 19 level, something which makes me favour option two over option one. Finally, managers are less willing to take a risk on youth because, by and large, the Cardiff way has become to throw money at potential selection issues by giving them funds to spend on a series of players who have come here with, being charitable, mixed results.
    I daresay there has been some pressure from above on managers for instant results which has contributed to option three as well, but my feeling is that it is options two and three that are most relevant when it comes to the failure, and it has been a total failure over the past five or six seasons, of our Academy when it comes to what should be its primary function.
    Bob, i don't know why we aren't producing good young players. It could be the set up, coaching or individuals within the coaching set up or our last four or five managers and the remit that they had to work from.

Our youth set up started to ramp up and become more Professional when a bloke named Gavin Tait was brought in and was given the freedom to re-structure things, he would've been responsible for picking out Aaron Ramsey, James Collins, Joe Ledley and Chris Gunter at a very young age and brought in Earnshaw. He left the club to go to Sunderland and he now works for the FA. His young Protege, Matty Crocker took over the reigns and developed all four of these players, he was an apprentice with the club but never made the grade (From Llanedeyrn) He was doing some fantastic work with the youngsters alongside Neil Ardley who left for AFC Wimbledon. Crocker ended up working for the FA and was in charge of all age groups below senior England national team in the implementation of coaching and education, apparently he was instrumental in the success of the u17s world cup win. He's now at Sothampton (Director of Football operations) who have a fantastic history in producing young talent (they don't employ mugs) maybe we just haven't employed the right people.

How can you compare the set up now to 50/60 years ago? Even 20-30 years ago.

Football is now a global game, especially the Premier League and the Championship is getting there too. There’s all manner of different internationals playing in the league. All the best clubs in this division have players from all around the globe and most have foreign managers too.

Cardiff City alone have players who are from Germany, Canada, Philippines and the Caribbean. Weve had all manner of different nationalities in the last decade.

Expecting to have a load of local lads coming through when we are playing Championship football mixed in with the odd Premier League season is wishful thinking I’m afraid.

Merthyr are in the 7th tier of English football and barely have any local lads playing for them.

Football is now a global game, especially the Premier League and the Championship is getting there too. There’s all manner of different internationals playing in the league. All the best clubs in this division have players from all around the globe and most have foreign managers too.

Cardiff City alone have players who are from Germany, Canada, Philippines and the Caribbean. Weve had all manner of different nationalities in the last decade.

Expecting to have a load of local lads coming through when we are playing Championship football mixed in with the odd Premier League season is wishful thinking I’m afraid.

Merthyr are in the 7th tier of English football and barely have any local lads playing for them.
    I don't think that anyone is expecting a load of local lads coming through, a lad from anywhere would do!

Thanks for that justification of the often pointless and over extravagant spending during the period since we stopped.developing our own first team players. All of this spending in the new global game has produced what? Seems to me we've always been a natural second tier club that has enjoyed the occasional spell in the top flight, but we used to be able to make those First Division stays last longer than a single season. For the last five years or so, we've used the new horizons offered by the global game to put together sides which tend to play in a very British, antiquated, way while spending far more on youth development than we did to run an Academy which doesn't produce first team players or make us money in the transfer market.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thanks for that justification of the often pointless and over extravagant spending during the period since we stopped.developing our own first team players. All of this spending in the new global game has produced what? Seems to me we've always been a natural second tier club that has enjoyed the occasional spell in the top flight, but we used to be able to make those First Division stays last longer than a single season. For the last five years or so, we've used the new horizons offered by the global game to put together sides which tend to play in a very British, antiquated, way while spending far more on youth development than we did to run an Academy which doesn't produce first team players or make us money in the transfer market.
    It’s got us two promotions to the Premier League.
    Had we thrown in all these young players that we’ve produced it would probably have been two relegations as the players who have done through our system that have made a career professionally have mainly done so in the lower leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I’d love it judging from some of the cut-throat responses on here.

The amount of quality players that would never have made it after having bombed in two games.

I wonder what sort of insight SM could have got after being here for a few weeks.

County will be rubbing their hands.
    Mate he's almost 21 and has been under two different regimes now, you can't say with any certainty that it was Morrison's decision so cut that out.

People really overestimate our academy players, I get we're crying out for young local lads playing for the first team but it doesn't mean we should hang on to players in the hope they come good.

Not a single player we have released in the past 10 years has gone onto better things, the only academy prospect who has done anything of note is Matando and we had no choice in that one. As long as our academy is cat 2 we won't much of note

Just seen a rumour on Twitter that he's signing for Merthyr. Not a great move unless it's just to get games between now and the end of the season.
    https://twitter.com/BluebirdsPast/st...094413829?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Just seen a rumour on Twitter that he's signing for Merthyr. Not a great move unless it's just to get games between now and the end of the season.
    Shop window and game time you'd imagine, but you never know!!

Edit. More than one released, so there is also the possibility it's another. Mind you I doubt they'd do the suspense act if it wasn't coxe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    It's Danny Williams I think - on loan.

https://www.merthyrtownfc.co.uk/news...s-the-martyrs/

No mention of Cameron Coxe on their website.

Why do Swansea manage to bring on young players some from our own traditional area.We need to hoover up all the talent that is out there the same as they do. Nobody will convince me that the kids in England are any better than the kids in Wales. We have to put a lot more into it and will get rewarded in the long term. The trouble is we have had a stringof mangers come here with no time for the kids as they need the seasoned proven pros. Its a bit short sighted imo.
    At least Harris seems to be looking toward some youngsters and i hope in the coming weeks we will see a few more given a chance
    but investment in youth has to be our way forward.
    i hope Steve Morrison does well but if not to hell with political correctness and get Bellamy back. Make or break.
    If Wales can produce excellent rugby players we can do the same at football at CARDIFF it just needs the right system of doing it.
    copy Swansea if we have to.

If Wales can produce excellent rugby players we can do the same at football at CARDIFF it just needs the right system of doing it.

or copy the rugby system...you might not like the sport but they do produce

Quote Originally Posted by valley boy View Post
    Why do Swansea manage to bring on young players some from our own traditional area.We need to hoover up all the talent that is out there the same as they do. Nobody will convince me that the kids in England are any better than the kids in Wales. We have to put a lot more into it and will get rewarded in the long term. The trouble is we have had a stringof mangers come here with no time for the kids as they need the seasoned proven pros. Its a bit short sighted imo.
    At least Harris seems to be looking toward some youngsters and i hope in the coming weeks we will see a few more given a chance
    but investment in youth has to be our way forward.
    i hope Steve Morrison does well but if not to hell with political correctness and get Bellamy back. Make or break.
    This why we need a Director of Football to bring everything together.
    Managers come and go and at the moment we’re just governed by the manager’s philosophy, which for me, is the tail wagging the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    This why we need a Director of Football to bring everything together.
    Managers come and go and at the moment we’re just governed by the manager’s philosophy, which for me, is the tail wagging the dog.
    At the moment we are governed by our ex managers philosophy and transfer policy.

At the moment we are governed by our ex managers philosophy and transfer policy.
    And will be for a few windows yet.