+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tomlin effect

The Tomlin effect

This is his involvement this season.

Sheff Wed (h) - late equaliser. 1 point gained.
    Millwall (a) - assist in a 2-2 draw. 1 point gained.
    Charlton (a) - scored as part of a recovery from 2-0 down to draw 2-2. 1 point gained.
    Forest (a) - assist for the winner. 2 points gained.
    Barnsley (h) - goal and an assist in a 3-2 win. 3 points gained.
    Brentford (a) - assist in a defeat. Nothing gained.
    Leeds (a) - important goal and an assist in the equaliser as we come from 3-0 down to draw. 1 point gained. Felt like 3.
    Sheff Wed (a) - assist in a 2-1 win. 2 points gained.
    Birmingham (h) - assist in a 1-1 draw. 1 point gained.
    West Brom (h) - scored the winner. 2 points gained.
    Luton (a) - scored the winner. 2 points gained.
    Huddersfield (a) - assist in a 3-0 win. 0 points gained.

I make it that Tomlin has been vital in gaining us an extra 16 points this season. That's the difference between us being 10th and 21st and level on points with Wigan. I make it that he has either scored or produced an assist in 10 of the 17 league games he's started since Harris took over. Of the 25 league goals scored under Harris, he's had the last or penultimate touch in 12 of them.

Re: The Tomlin effect

You could argue this for loads of teams and it could put us back in 10th..

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    You could argue this for loads of teams and it could put us back in 10th..
    Indeed.

I think what it also does is highlight how much he's likely to be missed for however long he's out of action. There's no obvious candidate to step up to the plate, there's no winning formation or player lurking in the wings to make the difference.

Forest fans are saying the same about the loss of Samba Sow

Further to my stats from last night, here are more to prove how important Tomlin has been.

In his last 3 substitute apperances, Tomlin has scored a winner and 2 equalisers.

In the 7 games where Tomlin has not even been in the squad, we've won 1, drawn 2 and lost 5, scoring only 7 goals and failing to score 3 times. Conversely, we've only failed to score 4 times when he's taken part.

We've managed a goal every 52 minutes that Tomlin has been on the pitch. When he hasn't been on the pitch we've managed a goal every 96 minutes.

With Tomlin we've won 1.56 points a game. Without, we've won 1.1 points a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Further to my stats from last night, here are more to prove how important Tomlin has been.

In his last 3 substitute apperances, Tomlin has scored a winner and 2 equalisers.

In the 7 games where Tomlin has not even been in the squad, we've won 1, drawn 2 and lost 5, scoring only 7 goals and failing to score 3 times. Conversely, we've only failed to score 4 times when he's taken part.

We've managed a goal every 52 minutes that Tomlin has been on the pitch. When he hasn't been on the pitch we've managed a goal every 96 minutes.

With Tomlin we've won 1.56 points a game. Without, we've won 1.1 points a game.
    Do you ever have time for a good old fashioned wank ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    1.3 wanks a day with Tomlin in the side.
    0.95 a day when he doesn't play.

Yes, but I have to fill the other 23 hours, 59 minutes and 30 seconds in a day.

He's not the Messiah! He's a good footballer who stands out in a team of plodding dross. He decided to turn it on this season when his contract was due up and won a new contract on the back of his performances. I wouldn't have given him a new contract, and he has been anonymous in a lot of games. But he has mad a difference and does stand out from the rest of our players, which goes to show how decidedly average our squad is.

I know we are six points from the Play Offs and have had some great results, and some awful ones, but how bad must be those teams who are below us. We moan a lot on here but thier message boards be a great read. Planet Swamp is always good for a laugh, all the players are crap, the manager is a joke etc. Every player who plays for Swansea is world class apparently, until they leave and then they become rubbish.

I think we all know we are bang average and it's a fight to get in to the Play Offs, this week is hugely important for us and going to be harder with another player missing.

Two straight wins could put us right back in the mix

A team always makes a late charge into the play offs

Why cant it be us ?

Why cant it be us ?
    Ability. It's as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    That's what they said to Wimbledon when they beat the scouse gits at Wembley

They said sod that , rolled up their sleeves and got stuck in

Team spirit and a big pair of balls will win over poncey football every time

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    He's not the Messiah! He's a good footballer who stands out in a team of plodding dross. He decided to turn it on this season when his contract was due up and won a new contract on the back of his performances. I wouldn't have given him a new contract, and he has been anonymous in a lot of games. But he has mad a difference and does stand out from the rest of our players, which goes to show how decidedly average our squad is.

I know we are six points from the Play Offs and have had some great results, and some awful ones, but how bad must be those teams who are below us. We moan a lot on here but thier message boards be a great read. Planet Swamp is always good for a laugh, all the players are crap, the manager is a joke etc. Every player who plays for Swansea is world class apparently, until they leave and then they become rubbish.

I think we all know we are bang average and it's a fight to get in to the Play Offs, this week is hugely important for us and going to be harder with another player missing.
    I think that there is a lot of truth in this along with the original post.

Tomlin is a decent player in a team of mediocrity playing football that is awful to watch.

He HAS been the difference on plenty of occasions this season and I think that we are about to find out that without him we are going to see some very ‘challenging’ performances.

I really hope that I’m wrong though.

Two straight wins could put us right back in the mix

A team always makes a late charge into the play offs

Why cant it be us ?
    Given our goal difference, we've got 7 points to make up already. We're looking for a bare minimum 7 wins out of 12, preferably 8, and hope other teams slip up.

I'm not saying that's impossible, but we've done nothing this season to suggest we're capable of that form, especially now the source of half of our goals is injured for several weeks.

Firstly, we concede too many goals. Still. We keep starting games too slowly. For us to have any chance, we need to score the opening goal in virtually every game between now and the end of the season. That's unlikely.

How did Warnock's "up and at 'em" approach work? How did that team score goals? It wasn't through any decent football. We scored either scrappy goals by winning 2nd, 3rd, 4th balls in the box (desire) and by Hoilett, Mendez-Laing, Camarasa and Murphy scoring world class efforts. Strikers were there to fight for the ball. This season, the number of worldies scored by anyone other than Tomlin have been hardly any. Paterson, in recent times, has been in the right position in front of goal, but he's not going to go on a hot scoring spree. None of our strikers are capable of it because they're not good enough Championship strikers. They've done as well as they could ever hope to have done given their limitations.

7 of our next 9 games are against teams above us in the table. Of our previous fixtures against thost 7, we've won 1. It's fine having a blood and thunder attitude, but we need more than that. We probably need 5 wins from 7 games against teams above us. It's all well and good being optimistic and aiming high, but I would be seriously surprised if we managed that.

We cannot afford another performance like yesterday for the rest of the season. Odds suggest we'll have another 2.

I believe we will fall short. In fact, I'm not confident of a top half finish now Tomlin is crocked. Think what you want of the stats, but they show as much that Tomlin has carried the team to a degree, but also demonstrate the deficiencies of the rest. Tomlin hasn't been putting in a series of masterclasses. He's just been better than any of our other midfield/attacking options.

Take away our only creative player and match winner and expect a mid-table team to keep beating playoff challengers just by having a 'never say die' attitude? I'll have whatever you're smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I think that there is a lot of truth in this along with the original post.

Tomlin is a decent player in a team of mediocrity playing football that is awful to watch.

He HAS been the difference on plenty of occasions this season and I think that we are about to find out that without him we are going to see some very ‘challenging’ performances.

I really hope that I’m wrong though.
    That's exactly how I see it.

Paterson behind Glatzel worked better than Ward behind Paterson.

mightht be worth giving that a go again, but the signs seem to suggest Glatzel will be gone in the summer. Strange as (for me, I know you've all got your own opinions) he was showing glimpses of a decent player when the ball wasn't above his head, scored a really good goal in the cup which would have boosted his confidence, then was nowhere to be seen.

Paterson behind Glatzel worked better than Ward behind Paterson.

mightht be worth giving that a go again, but the signs seem to suggest Glatzel will be gone in the summer. Strange as (for me, I know you've all got your own opinions) he was showing glimpses of a decent player when the ball wasn't above his head, scored a really good goal in the cup which would have boosted his confidence, then was nowhere to be seen.
    If we're going into next season with any of our current strikers leading the line then we've got problems.

Glatzel does show glimpses of a decent player. So do the others. None of them do it enough, with consistency, or demonstrate they're good enough for a promotion seeking side. We lamented often enough over Kenneth Zohore during our promotion season, but he was far and above anyone we currently have.

If we're going into next season with any of our current strikers leading the line then we've got problems.

Glatzel does show glimpses of a decent player. So do the others. None of them do it enough, with consistency, or demonstrate they're good enough for a promotion seeking side. We lamented often enough over Kenneth Zohore during our promotion season, but he was far and above anyone we currently have.
    It's a tough one, you can argue they've all been given a run but have we used them all correctly? People can point at gpg or gpm etc to go for or against players but we use the same style with 3 strikers that all probably prefer to play a different way, they're brought in and out of the team, it's hardly ideal is it.

It's a tough one, you can argue they've all been given a run but have we used them all correctly? People can point at gpg or gpm etc to go for or against players but we use the same style with 3 strikers that all probably prefer to play a different way, they're brought in and out of the team, it's hardly ideal is it.
    The fact there's no general consensus whatsoever from our fans about our strikers says a lot. You've been committed to backing Glatzel, fair enough, but hardly anyone is saying the same thing. You might be right, most others might be wrong. I just find it hard to accept that, for the tens of thousands of City fans out there, I don't hear of anyone touting for Glatzel, not even ex pros that now pass as pundits.

If he had half of the talent of Zohore, I think City fans would have given him more backing. If he was an exceptional player, I could accept an argument that says we should play to his strengths. As it is, he's definitely not Premier League quality and he's shown that whether he is top half Championship quality is open to debate. If he is half as good as you say he is, he'd have more to his game and be better at adjusting when the team needs to perform in a certain way. Any notion of building a team around Glatzel to accommodate his strengths is nonsense, given he hasn't done enough to prove he's good enough and worth it.

The fact there's no general consensus whatsoever from our fans about our strikers says a lot. You've been committed to backing Glatzel, fair enough, but hardly anyone is saying the same thing. You might be right, most others might be wrong. I just find it hard to accept that, for the tens of thousands of City fans out there, I don't hear of anyone touting for Glatzel, not even ex pros that now pass as pundits.

If he had half of the talent of Zohore, I think City fans would have given him more backing. If he was an exceptional player, I could accept an argument that says we should play to his strengths. As it is, he's definitely not Premier League quality and he's shown that whether he is top half Championship quality is open to debate. If he is half as good as you say he is, he'd have more to his game and be better at adjusting when the team needs to perform in a certain way. Any notion of building a team around Glatzel to accommodate his strengths is nonsense, given he hasn't done enough to prove he's good enough and worth it.
    I don't think he's particularly great, but I defend him as I don't think he's had enough game time where we play his type of foot, when we do he looks decent, but I suppose he needs to be able to adapt and force his way into games, hence my first assessment of him probably not being particularly great.

I liked his goal in the cup, how many do we score like that? His link up with Tomlin.

I don't think he's particularly great
    So he's not the answer. Sorted. Neither is Paterson, Ward, Bogle, Vassell. Sadly, there's no sign of Tan wanting to spend money on a good striker, so we're lumbered with mediocrity.

So he's not the answer. Sorted. Neither is Paterson, Ward, Bogle, Vassell. Sadly, there's no sign of Tan wanting to spend money on a good striker, so we're lumbered with mediocrity.
    He's not used enough in the right way to be the answer, no.

So how come you know the right way and nobody else does?

Can I just get something straight, to ensure I haven't confused matters?

You've spent the last few weeks saying that results don't particularly matter and that you want a change of approach and different way of playing. I don't totally agree, but once the playoffs are unlikely, yes, go for a change.

In order to get that change, we need quite a change in personnel. We don't have the players to play a better passing game and have the ability to trouble defences. I don't think anyone would disagree here.

You see Glatzel as someone with promise, providing we play the game that suits him. That means ripping apart this team and bringing in a load of new players as clearly the players here don't play that game. Again, you know this and welcome new faces and a different approach.

So you want to change everything to suit a player that has shown, according to you (who is backing him) occasional glimpses of talent and who scored one lovely goal against another team's reserves in the cup? Is this right? These are the crumbs on which you cling?