+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gary Neville talking about VAR just now..

Gary Neville talking about VAR just now..

".. bring the fans along on the journey..". " It will add to the fan experience..".

Slowly me and football are drifting apart..

Re: Gary Neville talking about VAR just now..

VAR is becoming dangerous to football .
    It’s really is ruining the game . Yet I thought it was great in the last tournament I watched it in .
    Poor management . Very very poor management , imagine football was brought down by VAR ..

Modern football is rubbish and plastic

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    VAR is becoming dangerous to football .
    It’s really is ruining the game . Yet I thought it was great in the last tournament I watched it in .
    Poor management . Very very poor management , imagine football was brought down by VAR ..
    Football's becoming entertainment. When Neville starts referring going to watch football as "the fan experience". I think of Superbowl. The media already calls attack 'offence'..

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Modern football is rubbish and plastic
    Best day out in years at Luton. Two bang average sides but noise, loads of banter, close to the pitch and players, you could feel you were at a game - plus a great little ground which will sadly be soon gone..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Best day out in years at Luton. Two bang average sides but noise, loads of banter, close to the pitch and players, you could feel you were at a game - plus a great little ground which will sadly be soon gone..
    God I miss Hereford away

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    God I miss Hereford away
    Was that close to Mothercare?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Was that close to Mothercare?
    When I was active there was a mothercare in every town

And I was always nearby

I think its the way VAR is deployed in the Premiership.

The referee should go and look can decide himself not rely on third party ,he is nearer the event .

The rules also need to be changed to help with clarity of the VAR decision , like Wenger's proposal that offside is when the whole of the body is off , not a foot .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

The referee should go and look can decide himself not rely on third party ,he is nearer the event .

The rules also need to be changed to help with clarity of the VAR decision , like Wenger's proposal that offside is when the whole of the body is off , not a foot .
    ...you don't get it do you?
    If you apply the Wenger law there will still be an offside line.

There's much that's wrong with VAR but the worst is that decision making is taken out of the hands of the ref. He, and he alone, should have the ability to view an incident again at pitch-side and make the decision. However, allowing faceless people sitting in front of a bank of monitors to make decisions is laughable. Moreover waiting 2 mins for a decision shows the surreal nature of the process. The sight of a goal not being given because of a VAR incident, 1/2 min earlier, as this weekend is ludicrous. If the incident can't be deemed, "a clear and obvious mistake," from viewing the incident in 30 secs at normal speed at pitchside then it should stand.

I get the impression these faceless people are a means to give a decision the way the Football Establishment want it to go if the ref hasn't. Add to that the continual tinkering with the Laws of the Game and the ever increasing interpretation of them and you end up with the mess football is in. "Laws are to be applied and not interpreted," as Frank Burrows oft said. And now, to cap it all, Wenger wants to bring in a 10 cm latitude for offsides. The authorities have brought it all on themselves and have dug themselves into an abyss.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    I was surprised someone as smart as Wenger suggested it. We'd just get attackers seemingly miles offside but played on by their trailing foot. It wouldn't solve anything, just change the type of controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I was surprised someone as smart as Wenger suggested it. We'd just get attackers seemingly miles offside but played on by their trailing foot. It wouldn't solve anything, just change the type of controversy.
    If a player has the ability to trail his foot while creating a goal-scoring opportunity, good luck to him.

Completely and utterly this^^^

The referee may still make a decision, which in many people's eyes will be the wrong one, but at least it will be HIS decision, the referee's decision since time immemorial, not some faceless "expert" a hundred miles away.
    A monitor pitchside like in the WC.

People would not only respect this but be more accepting of it.

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    Ta my wife just explained the rule to me , however I think the point is the offence would be more visable to the eye and accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    If a player has the ability to trail his foot while creating a goal-scoring opportunity, good luck to him.
    That doesn't make sense, I'm afraid. The creating player isn't the one who's offside.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It means this. In this (quickly) doctored photo, Sterling would be onside.

480.jpg

The referee should go and look can decide himself not rely on third party, he is nearer the event.
    That's what they do in the Bundesliga.

Graham Souness suggested it first, weeks ago

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Having to amend a number or rules - to allow a system that was allegedly brought in to ensure the existing rules were correctly applied, strikes of madness. Anyway it's Neville's language that irks me. I think it illustrates just how little those in high places - including ex-players - really understand what the real supporter gets out of going to follow their team.

I posted a couple of days ago re. the gaps in the stands at Prem league games. There were loads at Arsenal yesterday. PL especially is a generally boring 'product', hyped up for 90 minutes by the commentators..

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Then I'm surprised someone as smart as Wenger is copying a silly suggestion from Souness.

Then I'm surprised someone as smart as Wenger is copying a silly suggestion from Souness.
    Lardy is smart, Wenger and Souness are stupid. We should be honoured to have such greatness in our midst

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Having to amend a number or rules - to allow a system that was allegedly brought in to ensure the existing rules were correctly applied, strikes of madness. Anyway it's Neville's language that irks me. I think it illustrates just how little those in high places - including ex-players - really understand what the real supporter gets out of going to follow their team.

I posted a couple of days ago re. the gaps in the stands at Prem league games. There were loads at Arsenal yesterday. PL especially is a generally boring 'product', hyped up for 90 minutes by the commentators..
    So true. The version of VAR we saw in the last World Cup was not perfect, but it was far superior to the current shambles in the Premier League - surely any sane person looking at the Burnley v Bournemouth match this weekend would have to conclude that what we're seeing this season is a deeply, flawed and farcical system. We're getting towards the end of the season now and if I were involved with a club in danger of being relegated from the Premier League, I would be thinking that my team's fate could be decided on the final day of the season by what someone hundreds of miles away watching endless replays to try and find a way to disallow a goal we just scored decides - given the money at stake, I would say there is a very strong chance that we'll see a legal challenge to a VAR decision over the summer.

I share these thoughts ^^

These people in Stockley Park (is it?).
    Accountable to nobody and could well themselves have placed a load of spread bets, the outcomes of which could be decided on their decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I share these thoughts ^^

These people in Stockley Park (is it?).
    Accountable to nobody and could well themselves have placed a load of spread bets, the outcomes of which could be decided on their decisions.
    They might be faceless to us, but they're still going to be accountable. For all its faults, I don't think VAR is a cover for betting fraud!