+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who should I vote for?

Re: Who should I vote for?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Just had my voting papers. Had more or less decided on Keir, but Lisa is getting a lot of thoughtful support on here. Really not sure now.
    Decisions decisions.
    I have just voted - Keir as second choice! Went for Dawn Butler for deputy - sensible and principled.

I'm almost certain it will be a Keir Starmer and Angela Rayner win though.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I have just voted - Keir as second choice! Went for Dawn Butler for deputy - sensible and principled.

I'm almost certain it will be a Keir Starmer and Angela Rayner win though.
    Agreed. I’m voting Nandy and Rayner. I think Rayner will win by a mile. Starmer likely to win the leadership but I reckon Nandy will do better than expected and finish a strong second.

Just had my voting papers. Had more or less decided on Keir, but Lisa is getting a lot of thoughtful support on here. Really not sure now.
    Decisions decisions.

I rejoined the party so that I could vote. Fully intended to back Starmer but he comes across as corporate. Nandy did show some personality in the debates I watched. There is a cheeky sense of humour there. It’s going to be needed up against Johnson.

Keir
    Rebecca
    Lisa

Going to be between 1 and 3, but cant choose. Please help
    What do you fancy changing your user name to? Keir, Rebecca or Lisa?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Kier has no charisma

Sadly modern politics is about image and personality

Nandy has charisma , image and personality

And shes a moderate , which is vital

Labour is never going to win a majority with a left of centre candidate , we have to go back to blair for our last period of office and he was a tory in a labour suit ....the first few years were good but then his true colours showed up

If we can get someone like nandy to appeal to the middle ground , which wins the election , then we might have a chance of a labour minority or coalition labour led government

But after the loss of all those seats to the krankies in Scotland, I cant see a majority led labour government in my lifetime ......and that's with a decent leader like nandy in charge

Tony Benn, skinner , kinnock , all great speakers but all mouth and no trousers

This country has sadly lurched to the right and the labour party must hit the middle ground if it's to have any chance

Rebecca long bailey would kill us off completely
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    What do you fancy changing your user name to? Keir, Rebecca or Lisa?
    My deputy vote is def going to Dr Rosena. She's lovely. My user name may very well change to that as well.

Really interesting the support Lisa is getting on here. But is she strong enough to ward of the evil forces of the right wing print media for the next 4 years and take Labour forward. Still not convinced.
    Is Keir a safe pair of hands? Not sure.

Keir Starmer seems most ready to recognise that people who voted Blair but would never vote Corbyn and people who voted Corbyn but would never vote Blair are both needed for Labour to win. Think Nandy is closer to understanding this than RLB but am concerned Nandy would discard too much of what Labour has sought to do recently when, in my opinion, 60-70% of it or so was actually very good.

Considering how this government seems more interested in spending big on another bridge that will never happen, wish to challenge judges who recognise UK law is still important and challenge funding of those who report on them more fairly rather than anything else and easy to conclude a Labour government is needed perhaps now more than ever. Whoever you feel has best chance of delivering that should be voted for.

Really interesting the support Lisa is getting on here. But is she strong enough to ward of the evil forces of the right wing print media for the next 4 years and take Labour forward. Still not convinced.
    Is Keir a safe pair of hands? Not sure.
    Starmer is a safe pair of hands and I do wonder whether Nandy will cope with the onslaught of the right wing press. However she has something about her that might appeal to your average voter.

Kier has no charisma

Labour is never going to win a majority with a left of centre candidate , we have to go back to blair for our last period of office and he was a tory in a labour suit ....the first few years were good but then his true colours showed up

If we can get someone like nandy to appeal to the middle ground , which wins the election , then we might have a chance of a labour minority or coalition labour led government

But after the loss of all those seats to the krankies in Scotland, I cant see a majority led labour government in my lifetime ......and that's with a decent leader like nandy in charge

This country has sadly lurched to the right and the labour party must hit the middle ground if it's to have any chance

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Keir Starmer seems most ready to recognise that people who voted Blair but would never vote Corbyn and people who voted Corbyn but would never vote Blair are both needed for Labour to win. Think Nandy is closer to understanding this than RLB but am concerned Nandy would discard too much of what Labour has sought to do recently when, in my opinion, 60-70% of it or so was actually very good.

Considering how this government seems more interested in spending big on another bridge that will never happen, wish to challenge judges who recognise UK law is still important and challenge funding of those who report on them more fairly rather than anything else and easy to conclude a Labour government is needed perhaps now more than ever. Whoever you feel has best chance of delivering that should be voted for.
    Absolutely. My one and only criteria is that person is capable of holding this awful government to account and make Labour electable again.

Keir
    Rebecca
    Lisa

If RLB, Labour might as well put its head between its legs and kiss their arse goodbye,

if you like a gamble, then LN.

To play it safe KS is the obvious but dull choice.

No vote for me this time, but would probably had a gamble with LN, it's about time Labour broke the mould of (same old, same old).

In 2017 Corbyn managed a hung parliament against all odds against a party that wanted a mandate to deliver Brexit. If the country rejects left wing policies, then this wouldn't have happened. In fact, in policy only surveys, where people are surveyed solely on policies, Labour's more left wing proposals are generally more popular.

Brexit became the overwhelming issue of the 2019 election. Johnson, for some unfathomable reason, seems to be popular. With which demographic? I'm not sure. Those without IQs.

Let's not believe the country has lurched rapidly to the right, which caused the general election result. A lot of voters have unwittingly elected a rather far right party and will soon realise the mistakes they've made. The whole issue of left/right has been magnified by the media to the point where anything left of centre is portrayed as derogatory. Enough people lap that up. The left need to do more to challenge that, not meekly surrender and become more right.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    In 2017 Corbyn managed a hung parliament against all odds against a party that wanted a mandate to deliver Brexit. If the country rejects left wing policies, then this wouldn't have happened. In fact, in policy only surveys, where people are surveyed solely on policies, Labour's more left wing proposals are generally more popular.

Brexit became the overwhelming issue of the 2019 election. Johnson, for some unfathomable reason, seems to be popular. With which demographic? I'm not sure. Those without IQs.

Let's not believe the country has lurched rapidly to the right, which caused the general election result. A lot of voters have unwittingly elected a rather far right party and will soon realise the mistakes they've made. The whole issue of left/right has been magnified by the media to the point where anything left of centre is portrayed as derogatory. Enough people lap that up. The left need to do more to challenge that, not meekly surrender and become more right.
    I dunno Eric. The manifesto wasn’t popular this time around. It was seen as highly unaffordable. Labour need to be much more aggressive. They need a much more streetwise shadow cabinet. They also need to make sure they have a better chance of winning in the future. When they were last in power they should have reduced the voting age to 16. It needs to be a manifesto pledge next time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I dunno Eric. The manifesto wasn’t popular this time around. It was seen as highly unaffordable. Labour need to be much more aggressive. They need a much more streetwise shadow cabinet. They also need to make sure they have a better chance of winning in the future. When they were last in power they should have reduced the voting age to 16. It needs to be a manifesto pledge next time around.
    And a streetwise chancellor

The last one was an idiot

I would go for Rachel Reeves

Although I'm sure there will be conservative voters who will be insulted by your post, I can't think many conservative voters wanted a home secretary who previously lost their government role after colluding with another nation in secret and has previously supported return of the death penalty, or to lose Sajid Javid as Chancellor so quickly due to political in fighting (sparked by an unelected official) or the Prime Minister to be asked whether he agrees that people of colour are less intelligent. Not sure if it's a lurch to rapidly to the right in terms of political ideas but definitely in terms of being more authoritarian and less liberal - which is not the mindset of majority of the UK.

Corbyn spoke from a position which is seen as completely normal in Europe as if it could be/should be completely normal in the UK. It should be possible to keep that while also recognising majority are, weirdly, more comfortable with wasting billions on trident than Corbyn/those on the left are. Can Nandy do that? Can RBL do that?

Keir
    Rebecca
    Lisa

Couldn't give a fcuk as your party are antisemetic, terrorist sympathisers. Not to mention a bunch of a55eholes 😊. So glad you had the biggest hammering for 85yrs....And your namesake still hasn't fcuked off 😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Talksport View Post
    Couldn't give a fcuk as your party are antisemetic, terrorist sympathisers. Not to mention a bunch of a55eholes ��. So glad you had the biggest hammering for 85yrs....And your namesake still hasn't fcuked off ����
    So if you don’t give a **** why have you posted on this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Talksport View Post
    Couldn't give a fcuk as your party are antisemetic, terrorist sympathisers. Not to mention a bunch of a55eholes 😊. So glad you had the biggest hammering for 85yrs....And your namesake still hasn't fcuked off 😂😂
    I'll put you down as undecided.
    😀

Interesting that is the first stupid post. Must be one of those 'without IQs' that Eric referred to earlier.

The manifesto never became an issue this time around. Issues other than Brexit were given little media attention for starters and virtually all talk I saw in the run up was about Brexit. Left leaning Labour supporters talked about policies but this seemed not to matter. I occasionally saw posts showing Tory promises to lift austerity and that they were going to spend this and that, all unaccounted for, but people didn't seem to care. The psyche with a lot of the people is that Labour overspend and the Tories don't. That's bullshit and needs challenging, but Labour will receive little help with this.

In 2017, it was Labour's manifesto that did a lot to claw back a massive deficit in the polls.

When Labour lost in 2010, Harriet Harman took it that Britain wanted to move towards the right and that Labour should be slightly more conservative. It lost votes in 5 years.

Labour need to be a broadly centre left party that challenges the Tories. It needs to challenge the establishment, not try and be a part of it just to have power.

Because he hasn't got anything better to do. Take a moment to think how awful his life must be for that to be fun, it's sad really.

The manifesto never became an issue this time around. Issues other than Brexit were given little media attention for starters and virtually all talk I saw in the run up was about Brexit. Left leaning Labour supporters talked about policies but this seemed not to matter. I occasionally saw posts showing Tory promises to lift austerity and that they were going to spend this and that, all unaccounted for, but people didn't seem to care. The psyche with a lot of the people is that Labour overspend and the Tories don't. That's bullshit and needs challenging, but Labour will receive little help with this.

In 2017, it was Labour's manifesto that did a lot to claw back a massive deficit in the polls.

When Labour lost in 2010, Harriet Harman took it that Britain wanted to move towards the right and that Labour should be slightly more conservative. It lost votes in 5 years.

Labour need to be a broadly centre left party that challenges the Tories. It needs to challenge the establishment, not try and be a part of it just to have power.
    The main criticism of the 2019 Labour Manifesto that I have seen through polls is that it was overloaded. Individual policies were mainly popular. That was even more true in 2017. In fact the Tory Manifesto (although very light on detail) adopted a lot of 2010 and 2015 Labour pledges - along with the general move away from the cult of austerity. The 3 main problems with the 2019 Labour campaign were too many pledges (in part made possible because the Tories were making their own un-costed promises up on the hoof), Corbyn himself (an older, less energetic and much more slandered figure than in 2017) and a garbled Brexit position. On top of that the Tories caught up in the social media war and they had a leader that is somehow teflon where May was toxic.

Brexit was the main problem!

However, the political debate has moved a long way from the end of Brown/Blair or even Milliband. Corbyn and those around him have blown up the centre-right consensus and made possible what was impossible only 10 years ago. They failed - and that must not be downplayed - but they did a lot of things I want the new Labour leader to build on. Long-Bailey will probably do that. Starmer claims he will (and has doubled down on that with his 10 pledges), Nandy seems to be enjoying trashing the last 5 years and shows no interest in preserving the good stuff. She is a mixture of Blairite Labour and post Brexit populism - the freshness is attractive but the contents of the package less so.

The main criticism of the 2019 Labour Manifesto that I have seen through polls is that it was overloaded. Individual policies were mainly popular. That was even more true in 2017. In fact the Tory Manifesto (although very light on detail) adopted a lot of 2010 and 2015 Labour pledges - along with the general move away from the cult of austerity. The 3 main problems with the 2019 Labour campaign were too many pledges (in part made possible because the Tories were making their own un-costed promises up on the hoof), Corbyn himself (an older, less energetic and much more slandered figure than in 2017) and a garbled Brexit position. On top of that the Tories caught up in the social media war and they had a leader that is somehow teflon where May was toxic.

However, the political debate has moved a long way from the end of Brown/Blair or even Milliband. Corbyn and those around him have blown up the centre-right consensus and made possible what was impossible only 10 years ago. They failed - and that must not be downplayed - but they did a lot of things I want the new Labour leader to build on. Long-Bailey will probably do that. Starmer claims he will (and has doubled down on that with his 10 pledges), Nandy seems to be enjoying trashing the last 5 years and shows no interest in preserving the good stuff. She is a mixture of Blairite Labour and post Brexit populism - the freshness is attractive but the contents of the package less so.
    Good read.

There is a lot to build on. I accept that Corbyn wasn't that popular in the end, a man destroyed by his own dithering as well as by the media. That doesn't mean his policies weren't popular.

There's one thing I like about RLB - she has an ability to show how her politics is a positive thing. I think that's huge. All too often people are swayed by simplicities, not manifestos or policies. "Get Brexit Done" won the Tories the election. Labour should have gone with "Boris - have you thought about this?". Trump had Make America Great. Perhaps that was the 3-word location code when he stood in his bathroom with morning glory.

Kier has no charisma

Yes, the election was lost in this order
    Brexit
    Corbyn
    Manifesto

The whole thing could not have been handled worse by Labour. Handed victory on a plate to Teflon man.

Certainly Labour has moved to the left from the Blair/Brown days, but interestingly the Tories policies have also moved to the left in a number of instances. Although you would never think it with Cummings at the helm.
    Somehow has to keep its left credentials pure, but appearing middle of the road(wolf in sheepskin clothing). Becky is a bit too obvious with her leanings, perhaps Keir appears a bit more reasonable, but still having the right credentials. I dont want any prospective leader trashing the past, which Lisa has been doing.

Starmer is a safe pair of hands and I do wonder whether Nandy will cope with the onslaught of the right wing press. However she has something about her that might appeal to your average voter.
    Lisa Nandy seems like a genuine person .
    Hopefully that something about her will see her home .
    I know we shouldn’t vote for a particular candidate by their gender, or the colour of their skin .
    Labour needs a female leader .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Lisa Nandy seems like a genuine person .
    Hopefully that something about her will see her home .
    I know we shouldn’t vote for a particular candidate by their gender, or the colour of their skin .
    Labour needs a female leader .
    I agree with that. Nandy has fire. Starmer is about as passionate as Sludge after a kebab.