+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Flights to Baku

Flights to Baku

Can anyone share their details on flights to Baku for June. Which airports are you flying from, how many stops and rough costs? Would really appreciate anything as struggling to get sensible options. Thanks

Re: Flights to Baku

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Worcester View Post
    Can anyone share their details on flights to Baku for June. Which airports are you flying from, how many stops and rough costs? Would really appreciate anything as struggling to get sensible options. Thanks
    I guess it depends on how flexible you are. If you can get there a few days before the first game, and then wait until a few days after the Turkey game- flights will be reasonable. However, if you want to get in and then out, Friday and then the following Thursday- you can do it for just over £500 return with 1 stop either way. (when I last checked, which was 2/3 weeks back). In via Istanbul. Back via Moscow.

I paid about £460 with Etihad but I have a 12 hour stopover in Abu Dhabi on the way over

480 with Emirates stop over of around 6hrs

My son is going from Heathrow via Franfurt with Lufthansa. £650 when he booked but that was weeks ago so price may well have changed by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I paid about £460 with Etihad but I have a 12 hour stopover in Abu Dhabi on the way over
    4 hrs there on the way back from KL was enough for me there. Not much to do in transit. Good luck with 12hrs.

We're doing the Swiss game only, these are our flights (off the top of my head)...

Stansted to Istanbul Thursday night / Friday morning around midnight (Pegasus)
    Istanbul to Baku late Friday morning, land in Baku around 14:20 (Azerbaijan Airlines)

Same return route Monday, starting in Baku at around 07:30 departure and then landing into Stansted around 17:30 on Monday afternoon. Roughly a four hour stopover in Istanbul both ways, £360 return.

When we went to the qualifier we went Manchester > Kiev > Baku (Ryanair and Ukrainian International), longer stopover in Kiev, around six hours both ways, that was around £300 return.

A reminder to those who have an Armenian stamp in their passport: you may not be allowed access to enter Azerbaijan.
    I did the visits the other way around a few years ago (and via Georgia as the border between Az and Ar is closed) but, fortunately, I have a second passport.

Thanks for all your responses. The 'best' I have found - trying to balance cost and duration is a 2 stop for £500 return via Vienna and Istanbul. Takes about 13 hours overall. In on the thurs / fri back the following thurs, taking in both games. And experience!!

Thanks for all your responses. The 'best' I have found - trying to balance cost and duration is a 2 stop for £500 return via Vienna and Istanbul. Takes about 13 hours overall. In on the thurs / fri back the following thurs, taking in both games. And experience!!
    Do you have a hotel?

I booked one but won't travel now, have kept it just in case, cancel in May if not needed.

When I went in November the hotels in city centre were dirt cheap, around £40/night B+B, twin room. Same hotel for the Euro's is £145/night! Feck that!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
    Do you have a hotel?

I booked one but won't travel now, have kept it just in case, cancel in May if not needed.

When I went in November the hotels in city centre were dirt cheap, around £40/night B+B, twin room. Same hotel for the Euro's is £145/night! Feck that!
    I do thanks. Booked the 'football' hotel near the ground. It's for a week and a rip off but hey ho!!

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    My son is going from Heathrow via Franfurt with Lufthansa. £650 when he booked but that was weeks ago so price may well have changed by now.
    Same route and me and my son 👍

Via Berlin ( stay 1 night), and Izmir. £385.