+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A look at our chances of making the playoffs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: A look at our chances of making the playoffs

It's always interesting to read this in retrospect!

One thing I notice, flicking through league tables in this division after 39 games is that 60 points is quite low at this point in the season. It's even more unusual to have a side in 6th on 60 points with a 3 point gap to 7th!

Looking back on my post, I worried about us avoiding defeat to Brentford, Leeds and Preston. 7 points seems to be a reasonable tally from those 3 games, I guess! On paper, our most difficult remaining games are Bristol City and Fulham away, and both have come back after the restart playing quite poorly.

I'm thinking 72 points will be enough for a playoff spot. 4 wins will surely be enough, barring a phenomenal run from a team below us.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It's always interesting to read this in retrospect!

One thing I notice, flicking through league tables in this division after 39 games is that 60 points is quite low at this point in the season. It's even more unusual to have a side in 6th on 60 points with a 3 point gap to 7th!

Looking back on my post, I worried about us avoiding defeat to Brentford, Leeds and Preston. 7 points seems to be a reasonable tally from those 3 games, I guess! On paper, our most difficult remaining games are Bristol City and Fulham away, and both have come back after the restart playing quite poorly.

I'm thinking 72 points will be enough for a playoff spot. 4 wins will surely be enough, barring a phenomenal run from a team below us.
    You have 75 points as the average for the team finishing in 6th.

What is the average for the team finishing in 7th?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    You have 75 points as the average for the team finishing in 6th.

What is the average for the team finishing in 7th?
    No idea. Not 75 points. At a guess I'd say 2-3 points lower. Sometimes 6th and 7th are very close. Sometimes they're not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    No idea. Not 75 points. At a guess I'd say 2-3 points lower. Sometimes 6th and 7th are very close. Sometimes they're not at all.
    Just checked and it's 72.

Hopefully 73 points will be enough for us this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Just checked and it's 72.

Hopefully 73 points will be enough for us this year.
    It won't be 72 this year as the points tally around 6th etc is unusually low. We might even see the side finishing 7th not reach 70 points.

Average 2 points per match and we should make the play offs. The difference this year is that the form book has been reset after the break. We have the advantage of players coming back from injury and the use of 5 subs, a strategy well worked in the last two matches. The team seem more relaxed and focussed. We are certainly on track, at the moment, to better the 10th to 15th I was predicting at the start of the season. 70 to 74 points is doable and might just squeeze us into 6th place.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Average 2 points per match and we should make the play offs. The difference this year is that the form book has been reset after the break. We have the advantage of players coming back from injury and the use of 5 subs, a strategy well worked in the last two matches. The team seem more relaxed and focussed. We are certainly on track, at the moment, to better the 10th to 15th I was predicting at the start of the season. 70 to 74 points is doable and might just squeeze us into 6th place.
    Derby and Preston now need to win 5 of their last 7 to get 72 points. 72 points is going to be enough easily.