+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who would you keep? Who would you get rid of?

Re: Who would you keep? Who would you get rid of?

Neil Etheridge - Keep
    Alex Smithies - Keep
    Matthew Connolly - Go
    Joe Bennett - Keep
    Sean Morrison - Keep
    Aden Flint - Go
    Curtis Nelson - Keep
    Ashley Richards - Go
    Souleymane Bamba - Go
    Will Vaulks - Keep
    Leandro Bacuna - Keep as holding mid only
    Joe Ralls - Keep
    Josh Murphy - Keep
    Marlon Pack - Go
    Nathaniel Mendez-Laing - Keep
    Junior Hoilett - Go
    Robert Glatzel - Go
    Isaac Vassell - Go (what was the point of this signing?)
    Callum Paterson - Keep
    Lee Tomlin - Keep
    Gavin Whyte - Go
    Danny Ward - Go

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Agree with you.
    I don’t think that they are entirely useless and couldn’t be used as squad players but if the objective is to get promotion and you take Leeds and WBA (or even Fulham or Notts Forest) as the benchmark, I think Ralls and Morison are probably of an inferior standard. The championship has improved since our last promotion and it’ll probably get slightly better next season.

This also goes for the manager. Billic and Bielsa are top managers. Harris is nowhere near the same quality as these guys and that could be a bigger negative than the quality of the squad.

On paper, with the core squad and current management, I’d be amazed if we got an automatic spot. We might have enough for the play offs but even that will be a stretch imo, especially considering the current transfer policy, which will rely on loanees and the odd few million pound signings.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I don’t think that they are entirely useless and couldn’t be used as squad players but if the objective is to get promotion and you take Leeds and WBA (or even Fulham or Notts Forest) as the benchmark, I think Ralls and Morison are probably of an inferior standard. The championship has improved since our last promotion and it’ll probably get slightly better next season.

This also goes for the manager. Billic and Bielsa are top managers. Harris is nowhere near the same quality as these guys and that could be a bigger negative than the quality of the squad.

On paper, with the core squad and current management, I’d be amazed if we got an automatic spot. We might have enough for the play offs but even that will be a stretch imo, especially considering the current transfer policy, which will rely on loanees and the odd few million pound signings.
    The championship has improved! Are you joking us? This is the worst championship I can ever remember. Standard nowhere near as good as it used to be. Can't think of one team in this league that looks good.

Some of these players are going backwards fast. Bennett as an example. But at least Joe Ralls came on and showed a pit of passing ability last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    The championship has improved! Are you joking us? This is the worst championship I can ever remember. Standard nowhere near as good as it used to be. Can't think of one team in this league that looks good.
    Leeds looked the part against Arsenal. They are bottlers, but they are a quality side. WBA are a good team. Fulham are good. They have some big players. The championship is now able to attract elite players and managers. The more traditional english style of play will become less and less effective.

Don’t know what it says about us if the standard as poor as you make out anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    You were doing so well 'til you got to Murphy

really i got to bennett and gave up

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    During the close season, there needs to be a spring clean if the club is to progress. We're not a side that's on the brink of the playoffs. We're realising how ordinary we are. Here's the squad. Who would you keep? I've given my thoughts, but please do your own!

Neil Etheridge - Keep
    Alex Smithies - Keep
    Matthew Connolly - Go
    Joe Bennett - Keep
    Sean Morrison - Keep
    Aden Flint - Go
    Curtis Nelson - Keep
    Ashley Richards - Go
    Souleymane Bamba - Go
    Will Vaulks - Keep
    Leandro Bacuna - Go
    Joe Ralls - Keep
    Josh Murphy - Keep
    Marlon Pack - Go
    Nathaniel Mendez-Laing - Go
    Junior Hoilett - Go
    Robert Glatzel - Go
    Isaac Vassell - Go
    Callum Paterson - Keep
    Lee Tomlin - Keep
    Gavin Whyte - Go
    Danny Ward - Go
    You lost me at Bennett.

Keep

Etheridge
    Smithies
    Vaulks
    Hoilett
    Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Keep

Etheridge
    Smithies
    Vaulks
    Hoilett
    Tomlin
    Too optimistic. Just keep Etheridge and Smithies. And Vaulks as we need at least one outfield player.

on what i've seen
    I'd keep
    Ralls
    tomlin
    both keepers
    adomah
    sanderson

maybe,just maybe
    pack
    vaulks
    morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    During the close season, there needs to be a spring clean if the club is to progress. We're not a side that's on the brink of the playoffs. We're realising how ordinary we are. Here's the squad. Who would you keep? I've given my thoughts, but please do your own!

Neil Etheridge - Keep
    Alex Smithies - Keep
    Matthew Connolly - Go
    Joe Bennett - Keep
    Sean Morrison - Keep
    Aden Flint - Go
    Curtis Nelson - Keep
    Ashley Richards - Go
    Souleymane Bamba - Go
    Will Vaulks - Keep
    Leandro Bacuna - Go
    Joe Ralls - Keep
    Josh Murphy - Keep
    Marlon Pack - Go
    Nathaniel Mendez-Laing - Go
    Junior Hoilett - Go
    Robert Glatzel - Go
    Isaac Vassell - Go
    Callum Paterson - Keep
    Lee Tomlin - Keep
    Gavin Whyte - Go
    Danny Ward - Go
    Etheridge - let go. Would generate cash and a good profit which the club will need this season

Bennett -as above and he is often a weak link in defence by drifting out of his position

Bacuna - little choice but to keep as too expensive to get rid of thanks to Messrs Warnock

Murphy - let go for same reason as Etheridge plus he is too inconsistent in his application of an undoubted talent

Glatzel - keep as will be better with a better quality midfield behind him if we can recruit one

Whyte - keep as May develop and fill the space created by Hoilett moving on

Ward - keep unless we get in a proven striker ( which will be difficult to do) to replace

Agree with your other player views

Quote Originally Posted by Since62 View Post
    Etheridge - let go. Would generate cash and a good profit which the club will need this season

Bennett -as above and he is often a weak link in defence by drifting out of his position

Bacuna - little choice but to keep as too expensive to get rid of thanks to Messrs Warnock

Murphy - let go for same reason as Etheridge plus he is too inconsistent in his application of an undoubted talent

Glatzel - keep as will be better with a better quality midfield behind him if we can recruit one

Whyte - keep as May develop and fill the space created by Hoilett moving on

Ward - keep unless we get in a proven striker ( which will be difficult to do) to replace

Agree with your other player views
    All depends on what people are offering.

Looks to me like we’ve been trying to sell Etheridge for the past 2 windows but not got a deal. Worrying thing is according toTransfermarket he’s in the last year of his contract at the end of this season

The only ones the club can really deal with, with certainty are the ones out of contract.

Bogle, Richards, Connolly all go

Ward stay , but I’d expect he will move unless we make a really good offer and I don’t think that is possible or justifiable.
    Shame actually as that will leave us with just the injured Vassel and the struggling Glatzel.
    And of course, Paterson

Club needs to start thinking about players out of contract in 2021 now.. Nelson, Mendes- Laing , Etheridge , Hoillet, Bennett, Cunningham

Who gets extensions out of that lot ?

Probably time for Hoillet and Bennett to move on, they are probably all for sale at the right price though

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    All depends on what people are offering.

Looks to me like we’ve been trying to sell Etheridge for the past 2 windows but not got a deal. Worrying thing is according toTransfermarket he’s in the last year of his contract at the end of this season

The only ones the club can really deal with, with certainty are the ones out of contract.

Bogle, Richards, Connolly all go

Ward stay , but I’d expect he will move unless we make a really good offer and I don’t think that is possible or justifiable.
    Shame actually as that will leave us with just the injured Vassel and the struggling Glatzel.
    And of course, Paterson

Club needs to start thinking about players out of contract in 2021 now.. Nelson, Mendes- Laing , Etheridge , Hoillet, Bennett, Cunningham

Who gets extensions out of that lot ?

Probably time for Hoillet and Bennett to move on, they are probably all for sale at the right price though
    The main issue as I see it is that the club has a real need for a Director of football who can impose an identity on how we play and recruit the players to fit into that system, likewise future coaches/managers

Otherwise we have the same issue resurfacing every time we change the manager, players bought in by one manager not wanted or rated by the new guy in position who brings he's own players in until he leaves and so the cycle continues.

A good coach will get the best out of the squad he inherits adding one or two per transfer window..

For the record I have little confidence in Harris being able to do anything else other than position us as a mid table team.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    The main issue as I see it is that the club has a real need for a Director of football who can impose an identity on how we play and recruit the players to fit into that system, likewise future coaches/managers

Otherwise we have the same issue resurfacing every time we change the manager, players bought in by one manager not wanted or rated by the new guy in position who brings he's own players in until he leaves and so the cycle continues.

A good coach will get the best out of the squad he inherits adding one or two per transfer window..

For the record I have little confidence in Harris being able to do anything else other than position us as a mid table team.
    Good post.

Tomlin.

The rest can hop it :)

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post

Our esteemed boardroom would probably bring in Warnock as DoF