+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Being Welsh

Being Welsh

The only time I can say I am patriotic in any way is when I watch the welsh national football team play

Most of the time I find a lot about wales very embarrassing, the annual binge drinking festival that is the six nations , the media overkill surrounding that event , the dreadful articles about ten things to be proud about to be welsh every weekend in the western mail newspaper all that crap about cool cymru, sexy welsh and social , the faux trendy media set , dreadful tv , radio wales

I love cardiff city though but only support them because my english father and half irish mother decided to have it off when my old man worked at BP chemicals port Talbot

Re: Being Welsh

Sludge bach, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Sludge bach, I agree.
    Ta mush

Oh no that's jack talk , sorry

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Ta mush

Oh no that's jack talk , sorry
    No, 'mush' is acceptable, as is 'butt'.

The only time I can say I am patriotic in any way is when I watch the welsh national football team play

Most of the time I find a lot about wales very embarrassing, the annual binge drinking festival that is the six nations , the media overkill surrounding that event , the dreadful articles about ten things to be proud about to be welsh every weekend in the western mail newspaper all that crap about cool cymru, sexy welsh and social , the faux trendy media set , dreadful tv , radio wales

I love cardiff city though but only support them because my english father and half irish mother decided to have it off when my old man worked at BP chemicals port Talbot
    What is it about the Welsh and self esteem?

You find Wales and the Welsh embarrassing? Jeez, you're full of generalisations.

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post

You find Wales and the Welsh embarrassing? Jeez, you're full of generalisations.
    I find a lot about our country embarrassing yes , it's beautiful but to hear and listen to the complete crap coming from the media is cringeworthy

Most of us are welsh because our parents snagged here and no more

If my old man and old dear got it together in Devon I would be an exeter city fan

The biggest generalisations come from the media and from the outside image we as a country portray ourselves as

Someone saying I am proud to be welsh mun , whilst supporting an english football club like liverpool , makes a complete mockery of patriotism

There is just as much pride , and that's not a lot , in being from guildford or Norwich

Have you ever lived outside of Wales Sludge?

Probably happens in every country in the world.

You seen Americans online?

This.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I'll answer that one. He lived in Bradford for a while. He'll tell you it was while pursuing his brilliant academic career at their university. In truth, that was where he was first employed as an assistant bog cleaner (AKA deputy sanitary engineer, according to his spin). He was sacked from that role for reasons he's unwilling to divulge, but it's safe to assume they were unsavoury. He didn't mind too much about getting the elbow as "it was a shitty job, anyway" as he acknowledges. Whilst there he learnt many phrases (such as: fancy a nobbing, love? and get your drawers off) in both of the local lingos, Urdu and Punjabi.

He returned to Wales claiming to have degrees in everything from biophysics to flower arranging. It was then he joined the Cowbridge Young Conservatives, begun parting his hair down the middle and use words such as gosh and ghastly at every opportunity. He's remained a rotter ever since.

I've never understood the lack of confidence the Welsh have in ourselves as a nation. Thankfully that seems to be changing slowly, but its genuinely bizarre

I wish we were more like Ireland and Scotland in our self confidence as a nation

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I've never understood the lack of confidence the Welsh have in ourselves as a nation. Thankfully that seems to be changing slowly, but its genuinely bizarre

I wish we were more like Ireland and Scotland in our self confidence as a nation

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Manchester , oxford , bradford , bridgend

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

I dont think it means jack shit

The irish and Scottish are so proud of their nation hardly anyone speaks Gaelic

In wales the proportion of mother tongue speakers is far higher

Does that makes us a proud nation

I would say no because when it comes to sport most of these so called patriotic welshmen support Manchester United, Liverpool and other english clubs

Patriotism is all rather embarrassing really , none more evident than in wales , it's so fake

Welsh people voting for a far right tory government ? Wheres the patriotism in that

I find the line about Wales being a nation of poets and musicians a curious one. It's total nonsense, of course. Wales was historically never any more of a musical nation than any other part of the UK. A Welsh massed choir won a prestigious choral competition, one that the best singers from around South Wales were selected. No other choirs took part, but it didn't stop the media suggesting Wales was a land of song. Wales, a country going through huge changes, cashed in on this and male voice choirs became popular. Early rugby popularity started in a similar way. Wales got much of its late 19th century identity from the English media. There's an irony.

Welsh rugby was brought to us by the pit workers from the west country , immigrants who moved here to work

The game seen as our national game was in fact the game of England

In wales football ruled the roost before the locals grabbed the ball off their english work mates

International

One thing that gets me is all this having all signs in two lanbuages. What is the extra cost and burden that places on public finances? Its a complete waste of money that could serve better being used for other things

You've posted some absolute dross on this message board, but this is right up there with the worst of it. Slowly morphing into full on WUM.

International

One thing that gets me is all this having all signs in two languages. What is the extra cost and burden that places on public finances? Its a complete waste of money that could serve better being used for other things

International

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    You've posted some absolute dross on this message board, but this is right up there with the worst of it. Slowly morphing into full on WUM.
    Thats not very nice. lol

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    One thing that gets me is all this having all signs in two languages. What is the extra cost and burden that places on public finances? Its a complete waste of money that could serve better being used for other things
    You're right. This is Wales, sack the English words off and spend the money on hospitals

International

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    You're right. This is Wales, sack the English words off and spend the money on hospitals
    Exactly right. I don't expect to see names in Welsh when I'm in Kent or somewhere, or abroad, why should they expect to see english here?

That's not finding being Welsh embarrassing.

That's finding WalesOnline embarrassing.

I'm not patriotic, being born in wales was the easiest thing i've ever done, i don't see myself as any different to any other person who has to graft from any part of the UK. My country of birth doesn't come into it, it doesn't matter. I find the over zealous flag waving embarrassing wherever someone is from and the parochial stereotypes trotted out by the media and lapped up by people who seem to think that they have to behave in a certain way is a bit defeatist if we're looking to progress and change certain perceptions about Wales.

Wales is quite a poor country, it has never recovered from the decimation of heavy industry and manufacturing and successive governments on all sides have done little in order to create real jobs for people in the poorest areas. Education levels aren't great either, plenty of bright, young hopefuls have to leave Wales in order to realise their ambitions.

What would make me proud is well paid jobs and hope for the young people of this country, real investment, excellent education and training and better infrastructure. If all else fails i suppose i can wave my flag.