+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brains selling off 40 pubs.

Re: Brains selling off 40 pubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Who cares, does anybody ever drink that shite?
    I love real ale , but cannot say anything good to about there their current batch of ales , sadly Coffee one is their future .

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    SA Gold is a lovely drink.
    It used to be wonderful as was Dark , something has happened to is brewing process and taste

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    It used to be wonderful as was Dark , something has happened to is brewing process and taste
    Sad to hear that. Probably more chemicals in the recipe now to help the beer keep longer?

I did shifts behind a bar in a Valleys social club as a nipper (16 year old) and my boss was a Cardiff boy. He had Brains Dark and SA on tap. SA was a decent pint although I was strictly lager tops then. Dark was an acquired taste mind.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Some of these must be outside Cardiff as I’m struggling to find 40 !!!!!

Fox (rumney)
    Royal Oak
    Clifton
    Tavi
    Crwys
    Flora
    Cottage
    Goat Major
    Napier
    Canton
    Butchers
    Maltsters
    Fox (Whit)
    Heath
    Butchers (llandaff)
    Tregaron
    Coopers
    Trowbridge ?????
    Wolfs Castle
    Birchgrove
    Three Arches
    Three Elms
    Albany
    Kitty Flynn’s
    Fairwater
    Romilly
    Halfway
    One in Whitchurch????

That’s about 29
    Haven't they got a few pubs scattered about West Wales?

Think there's a Brains in Newquay?

I live down West. There are 3 Brains nearby. In fact I am in the Grove in St David's as we speak.
    Wouldnt be surprised to see this one go as a premier inn will be opening in a matter of months which will take much of the b&b trade.
    In Mid Wales I use the Dovey Arms and White Lion, Bala. Both are busy and will stay.
    I have commented before that Brains are not investing in their estate. All the pubs I've mentioned could do with upgrading.
    Ps they sold the Angel in Narberth a few months ago after telling all and sundry they were going to refurbish it. Seems like big change of strategy, cash flow issues perhaps?

Sad to hear that. Probably more chemicals in the recipe now to help the beer keep longer?

I did shifts behind a bar in a Valleys social club as a nipper (16 year old) and my boss was a Cardiff boy. He had Brains Dark and SA on tap. SA was a decent pint although I was strictly lager tops then. Dark was an acquired taste mind.
    yes Dark was a very nutty taste then , think it was cheaper than SA though and it was truly a skull attack beer, it is very sad to say I avoid the Brains pubs if I can

yes Dark was a very nutty taste then , think it was cheaper than SA though and it was truly a skull attack beer, it is very sad to say I avoid the Brains pubs if I can
    Your not alone....madness to stop serving Guinness

Late 80s to early 00s used to regularly visit The Canadian in Splott. Great pub and great people on there. Most Brains pub I've been to now seem quite antiseptic in comparison.

Late 80s to early 00s used to regularly visit The Canadian in Splott. Great pub and great people on there. Most Brains pub I've been to now seem quite antiseptic in comparison.
    The Albany has died a death in the last five years too

The Canadian, was in Pearl Street, ROATH

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    The Canadian, was in Pearl Street, ROATH

Always thought it was near Splott

In my defence, I'm a stupid valley boy who was always a little under the influence going in there.

My faux pas.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    The Albany has died a death in the last five years too
    All local pubs seem to be dying on their arse due to a myriad of reasons. The days of the 'local' seem to be gone and I don't see there ever being a return of them. Changing society I suppose?

They let The Bowl Inn in Lower Almondsbury, near Bristol, go downhill before selling it on.
    I think they tried to be like Fullers, but never achieved the scale.

All local pubs seem to be dying on their arse due to a myriad of reasons. The days of the 'local' seem to be gone and I don't see there ever being a return of them. Changing society I suppose?
    If you can't drink at home and you can't drink in the pub, then where can you drink?

The pontygwindy in caerphilly is brains I think

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    If you can't drink at home and you can't drink in the pub, then where can you drink?
    Is this a riddle?

Is this a riddle?
    Camping

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    Dark
    SA
    Black
    Barry Island IPA

They brew some fantastic beers.
    Apart from the Barry IPA I think brains’ offering is pretty poor. With the craft market flourishing I think brains’ days are numbered

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    It is and it’s crap

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Your not alone....madness to stop serving Guinness
    It’s not if it’s a destination pub as it goes against its other beers. Their problem is their product relatively poor and brand is outdated. Are they food focused or a wet pub? I’m not sure what the brains pubs are.

Tiny rebel serves some wonderful stuff and not a branded drink on site. I would go to say it’s Stay Puft is one of the best porters I’ve tried. If it’s good enough people will drink it.

Wetherspoons has nailed the one category while the craft sectors nailed the other side

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The only pint I'll drink in a Brains pub. Only it's not Brains it's Buckleys !
    It is named after the Rev James Buckley but brewed by Brains - surely? Otherwise why is there a Brains logo on the bottles and why does the Brains website claim credit? If I have misunderstood your post feel free to whoooooosh!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    It is named after the Rev James Buckley but brewed by Brains - surely? Otherwise why is there a Brains logo on the bottles and why does the Brains website claim credit? If I have misunderstood your post feel free to whoooooosh!
    Brains bought out Buckleys about 20 years ago.

SA Gold is a lovely drink.
    It is when it’s fresh. Most of the times I’ve had it, it tastes stale and full of line cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    It is when it’s fresh. Most of the times I’ve had it, it tastes stale and full of line cleaner

Tis true. It's a problem with some pump drinks. They need regular pulling.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    It is and it's crapp(ISH). The Lewis Arms in Tongwynlais is a Brains pub too.