+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brains selling off 40 pubs.

Re: Brains selling off 40 pubs.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    The Canadian, was in Pearl Street, ROATH
    NO, it wasn’t.

That street is Adamsdown.

The only people who list that area as Roath, are estate agents to make the properties sound more desirable than Adamsdown/Splott.

Anyone who lives in the area, will tell you the council list the area as Adamsdown on the council tax bill.

I have relatives who live on Newport Road near Richards Terrace. All that part of Newport Road and Richards Terrace up, is Adamsdown as well.

Yet, the opposite side of Newport Road on the other side just up from the funeral home to town is listed by the council as Plasnewydd (Roath).

In fact the Libs are trying to get the council to do away with using the term Plasnewydd, and use Roath as everyone knows the area.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Your not alone....madness to stop serving Guinness
    Guinness is lovely

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    It is and it’s crap
    Yes when driving past it's not the most eye catching of pubs, does it have a banjo player in a rocking chair ?

I've yet to stop and enter?

It is when it’s fresh. Most of the times I’ve had it, it tastes stale and full of line cleaner
    I had a one in the Cornwall last year that tasted like vinegar. I've never had such a foul pint.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Guinness is lovely
    I know, I only drink it out and the 5 closest pubs to my house all stopped serving it a few years ago, all Brains pubs, now we have a brains Black instead. It’s terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I know, I only drink it out and the 5 closest pubs to my house all stopped serving it a few years ago, all Brains pubs, now we have a brains Black instead. It’s terrible.
    Guinness was always my favourite drink. Just out of interest, how much would you expect to pay for a pint these days in the city centre? I think I was paying about GBP2.95 the last time I drank it back in Cardiff (2003)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    NO, it wasn’t.

That street is Adamsdown.

The only people who list that area as Roath, are estate agents to make the properties sound more desirable than Adamsdown/Splott.

Anyone who lives in the area, will tell you the council list the area as Adamsdown on the council tax bill.

I have relatives who live on Newport Road near Richards Terrace. All that part of Newport Road and Richards Terrace up, is Adamsdown as well.

Yet, the opposite side of Newport Road on the other side just up from the funeral home to town is listed by the council as Plasnewydd (Roath).

In fact the Libs are trying to get the council to do away with using the term Plasnewydd, and use Roath as everyone knows the area.
    Whatever !!!!!!

BUT YOU’RE WRONG

Born and brought up 200 yards from there and it’s ROATH

All my old places from some 20 years ago were brains

Lewis Arms in Ton
    Ty Nant in Morganatown/Radyr
    Kings arms in Pentyrch
    Creigiau inn in.. well Creigiau

Thought they were all amazing but I was an 18 year old kid. If these closed they’d be almost no pubs in this pocket of Cardiff north

Whatever !!!!!!

BUT YOU’RE WRONG

Born and brought up 200 yards from there and it’s ROATH
    Are you saying that he's completely wrong about the council listing that area as Adamsdown on the Council Tax bills?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Are you saying that he's completely wrong about the council listing that area as Adamsdown on the Council Tax bills?
    YES

All I can say is that things must have changed since I decided to virtually knock drinking on the head in 2012 after being told I had to take Warfarin every day for the rest of my life! I don't miss beer anywhere near as much as I expected to, but, without that instruction to take Warfarin, I know that I would still be drinking today and Brains beer would have to have deteriorated an awful lot in the last eight years for me to not to want to have it as my beer of choice, just like it was for about thirty five of the forty years when beer and pubs were a large part of my life.
    I gravitated towards Brains Bitter as my favourite, but liked all of the beers Brains produced except for that awful lager they marketed in the 70/80s called Faust I think it was - if ever a name accurately described a beer that was it!
    I've not had a pint for more than eighteen months, but I've tended to have one or two a year since 2012 and when I do, I always drink Brains if I can - that said, the last pint of bitter I had, in the Vic, wasn't great so maybe Brains beers are declining in quality?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    It is named after the Rev James Buckley but brewed by Brains - surely? Otherwise why is there a Brains logo on the bottles and why does the Brains website claim credit? If I have misunderstood your post feel free to whoooooosh!
    Def a Buckley beer - scroll down to 'beer brands' :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brains...ry#Beer_brands

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    All I can say is that things must have changed since I decided to virtually knock drinking on the head in 2012 after being told I had to take Warfarin every day for the rest of my life! I don't miss beer anywhere near as much as I expected to, but, without that instruction to take Warfarin, I know that I would still be drinking today and Brains beer would have to have deteriorated an awful lot in the last eight years for me to not to want to have it as my beer of choice, just like it was for about thirty five of the forty years when beer and pubs were a large part of my life.
    I gravitated towards Brains Bitter as my favourite, but liked all of the beers Brains produced except for that awful lager they marketed in the 70/80s called Faust I think it was - if ever a name accurately described a beer that was it!
    I've not had a pint for more than eighteen months, but I've tended to have one or two a year since 2012 and when I do, I always drink Brains if I can - that said, the last pint of bitter I had, in the Vic, wasn't great so maybe Brains beers are declining in quality?
    For someone in their late teen/twenties in Cardiff in the 1970's or 1980's the only beer you could get was Brains. Everyone raved about it. It was only when you got to visit another place - usually in England - and tried some of their beers, you realized Brains wasn't all it was cracked up to be. I always though Brains Dark was a practical joke by the Brewery - make the most unpalatable drink imaginable, give it a rich heritage, and sit back and enjoy !!

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    For someone in their late teen/twenties in Cardiff in the 1970's or 1980's the only beer you could get was Brains. Everyone raved about it. It was only when you got to visit another place - usually in England - and tried some of their beers, you realized Brains wasn't all it was cracked up to be. I always though Brains Dark was a practical joke by the Brewery - make the most unpalatable drink imaginable, give it a rich heritage, and sit back and enjoy !!
    I tasted many beers from all over the country and liked a lot of them, some to the extent that I would gladly have drunk them regularly if they had been available in Cardiff. I agree Brains Dark was a bit Marmite like and I was certainly not as keen on it in my middle age, but I'd still rate Brains bitter as my favourite and Brains in general the best, by a mile, available to drink in Cardiff in the period 70s to 2000s when I did most of my drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    All my old places from some 20 years ago were brains

Lewis Arms in Ton
    Ty Nant in Morganatown/Radyr
    Kings arms in Pentyrch
    Creigiau inn in.. well Creigiau

Thought they were all amazing but I was an 18 year old kid. If these closed they’d be almost no pubs in this pocket of Cardiff north
    The Ty Nant is Brains second busiest pub (mostly food). Second to Old Arcade.

Quote Originally Posted by Culver Blue View Post

Is that the “Old Arcade” with the ZERO hygiene rating ????

Filthy dirty, grubby hole !!!!

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The Three Elms on Whitchurch Common is a Hungry Horse (Greene King, I think)
    The one in Trowbridge is The New Bridge,
    Cross Inn (Rumney)
    Highfields
    Culverhouse Cross
    Tafarn Treganna
    The Roath Park
    The Retreat
    Old Arcade
    City Arms
    The Railway
    Royal Exchange, Llandaff North
    Ty Mawr
    Duke of Wellington
    Hollybush, Pentwyn
    Can’t think of any more but I’m sure there’s a few.
    The Cambrian Tap on the corner of St Mary's Street and.... C****y L**e

Makes sense I guess, it’s the only pub in the whole of Radyr

How do you define the word "busiest"? The Three Arches has the highest takings figures for all Brains pubs.

It is when it’s fresh. Most of the times I’ve had it, it tastes stale and full of line cleaner
    Not so lovely stuff then.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    We’ll blow me down, The Roath Carlylian Club, The Roath Labour Club & The Roath Cons were in Adamsdown all along

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    The Cambrian Tap on the corner of St Mary's Street and.... C****y L**e
    It’s under Kitty Flynn’s

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    We’ll blow me down, The Roath Carlylian Club, The Roath Labour Club & The Roath Cons were in Adamsdown all along

Thank you Steve

These pen pushers in their ivory towers, trying to change history

Is that the “Old Arcade” with the ZERO hygiene rating ????

Filthy dirty, grubby hole !!!!
    Aye - but I've never known anyone go there for food if I'm honest. Good for horse racing tho'

Aye - but I've never known anyone go there for food if I'm honest. Good for horse racing tho'
    Ya, looks like the horses left their manure on the floor, ready for collection