+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Middlesbrough v Forest last night = City might have been/might be ??

Middlesbrough v Forest last night = City might have been/might be ??

From what I've seen of Middlesbrough this season they look far and away the least talented side in the Championship. Clunky, stiff, unable to play a flowing game, players needing to take 2 or 3 touches each time. I would say they're very much like City would be without Tomlin, Ralls, Hoillet. I know they have a few players from their academy in their side but when you see those kids at QPR buzzing about the place I can only assume they're playing in Middlesrough's first team because they're cheap.

Forest aren't a Fulham. They don't even play as slickly as Huddersfield, or Stoke, but they're effective. Solid defence, get up the pitch in as few passes as possible, have a high energy rate/tempo, hard working, reasonably skilfull midfield, and good championship strikers. All things which City could aspire to with probably 4/5 good, sensible signings. To get to the stage of a Fulham, Leeds or WBA would take 2/3 yrs and a huge amount of money, but to become a solid workmanlike, dangerous side like Forest, challenging in 4th place, wouldn't be impossible..

Re: Middlesbrough v Forest last night = City might have been/might be ??

With a good team spirit and a few new signings we could be a top six side no problem

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    From what I've seen of Middlesbrough this season they look far and away the least talented side in the Championship. Clunky, stiff, unable to play a flowing game, players needing to take 2 or 3 touches each time. I would say they're very much like City would be without Tomlin, Ralls, Hoillet. I know they have a few players from their academy in their side but when you see those kids at QPR buzzing about the place I can only assume they're playing in Middlesrough's first team because they're cheap.

Forest aren't a Fulham. They don't even play as slickly as Huddersfield, or Stoke, but they're effective. Solid defence, get up the pitch in as few passes as possible, have a high energy rate/tempo, hard working, reasonably skilfull midfield, and good championship strikers. All things which City could aspire to with probably 4/5 good, sensible signings. To get to the stage of a Fulham, Leeds or WBA would take 2/3 yrs and a huge amount of money, but to become a solid workmanlike, dangerous side like Forest, challenging in 4th place, wouldn't be impossible..
    I'd say that, certainly since the January transfer window closed, that "honour" goes to Hull, but, from what I've seen of Middlesbrough, they will have been relegated on merit if they do go down.

Also, with regard to Fulham, I see them as a solid, workmanlike Forest type team this season - take their centre forward away and they're pretty ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'd say that, certainly since the January transfer window closed, that "honour" goes to Hull, but, from what I've seen of Middlesbrough, they will have been relegated on merit if they do go down.

Also, with regard to Fulham, I see them as a solid, workmanlike Forest type team this season - take their centre forward away and they're pretty ordinary.
    Yes, I think that about Fulham, without Mitrovic they would be a middling Championship side, I don’t really rate their defence and keeper. I’m surprised Harry Arter hasn’t been as influential for them as I thought he would be at this level - but they are the most likely play off winners ( Leeds and West Brom will finish top two). As for Forest they do counter attack well , the most successful “workmanlike” sides this season are Preston and Blackburn, neither have particularly outstanding individuals but are tough well organised Championship teams and one or the other will probably grab the last play off place as they seem to be doing it better than we are

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    With a good team spirit and a few new signings we could be a top six side no problem
    We're not too far away at the moment, but by god, the football is generally dull. I saw some of that game last night and wasn't that impressed by either side.