+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the closest anyone is to the Coronavirus at the moment

Re: What's the closest anyone is to the Coronavirus at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Yes this is true. More people will die of heart disease and diabetes this year than of coronavirus. But hardly anyone dies from a plane crash yet when one happens it's always on the front pages. So it's not simply about how many die and nothing else.

For media attention, it's also the novelty and Hollywood storyline. That's what's got people interested, not the death rate.

If the virus spreads quickly, as it probably will, then people are affected in all sorts of ways. Hospitals will be swamped, so standard procedures like knee operations will be postponed for months. All manner of services will be affected by staff being off sick. This is how everyone's lives will be affected. I don't know why so many just look at the death rate and no further.
    That's not a fair comparison. Whilst air travel is statistically the safest, a crash kills 100s in an instant.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    That's not a fair comparison. Whilst air travel is statistically the safest, a crash kills 100s in an instant.
    Well that's it, it's spectacular. So is a new virus sweeping through the world. In fact, a plane crash would probably make the front page even if everyone survived. It's not just how many die.

Coronavirus won't kill millions, but it's got potential to badly interfere with lives if it spreads like it did in South Korea. Reporting on every new case is probably a bit much, but in general I'd say it's a good thing that we are made aware to improve our hygiene and stop it spreading so far while we still can.

I live in Wales and one person in Wales has been diagnosed with it.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Yes this is true. More people will die of heart disease and diabetes this year than of coronavirus. But hardly anyone dies from a plane crash yet when one happens it's always on the front pages. So it's not simply about how many die and nothing else.

For media attention, it's also the novelty and Hollywood storyline. That's what's got people interested, not the death rate.

If the virus spreads quickly, as it probably will, then people are affected in all sorts of ways. Hospitals will be swamped, so standard procedures like knee operations will be postponed for months. All manner of services will be affected by staff being off sick. This is how everyone's lives will be affected. I don't know why so many just look at the death rate and no further.
    Knee operations?? Hope Tomlin isn’t affected.

But all this talk of the media building it up etc doesn't acknowledge the fact that the media are reporting things that ARE happening.

California, Florida and Washington HAVE declared a state of emergency

Big sporting events ARE being cancelled

Countries ARE closing down schools

Yes it's a great story for the media and some people probably are running wild with it but there is a big problem which could get a lot worse before it gets better. Essentially suggesting that it's fake news is a bit silly when experts are agreed it's on the tipping point of being a pandemic which could cause a hell of a lot of disruption

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Where shall I begin...

I haven't been able to go back to work for 6 weeks. Every time I go outside I HAVE TO wear a mask. Each time I enter and leave a public building I have to use my phone to scan a QR code, they also use a laser thermometer to measure your temperature.
    You cannot pay for anything using cash, they won't handle it, it has to be electronic payment (Wechat app).
    If you're lucky to find a restaurant/diner that's open, you cannot sit inside, takeaway only.
    Some cities restrict movement by allowing just one family member to go outside once every 3 days. They can monitor your movement because every apartment block has security guards who will instruct you to scan the QR code when entering or leaving.
    Also, 6 points for this

My daughter has a weak immune system and respiratory system.

This is managed by vaccinations against flu, strep, pneumonia etc.

There is nothing to protect her from this apart from isolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    My daughter has a weak immune system and respiratory system.

This is managed by vaccinations against flu, strep, pneumonia etc.

There is nothing to protect her from this apart from isolation.
    And that's why everyone needs to play their part, rather than "if I get it, I'll be fine"

Despite having purchased flights I won't be boarding the plane to Milan tomorrow as the Inter and Atalanta games I was going to see this weekend won't be taking place in front of a crowd.

I think the media coverage of it is probably right in comparison to other world events. If a terrorist attack kills a 3 thousand people then it gets mass coverage and dominates politics for the foreseeable.

Hopefully the death rate is kept at a minimum, as even with flu which kills hundreds of thousands a year there's no getting away from casualties.

Clearly the major impact for the majority will be the economic and social cost which brings its own problems.

People are on trolleys most weeks so the NHS is going to be in a lot trouble also.

I don't see how it is slowed down without forcing closure of buildings, cancellation of events, suspending travel and isolating people.

Off topic I was stunned to find out that 9 million die from hunger or hunger related illnesses each year.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I am top of the league, say I am top of the league!!!!
    Second ain't bad. Just sack Warnock before Xmas and you'll stay up

There is a theory that we are all 6 degrees of separation max from each other

My work colleague's girlfriend knows people who have worked with the Deloitte London case. So what's that - 4 degrees of separation?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I am top of the league, say I am top of the league!!!!
    Champions Leagues spot lets hope the final isn't held in Iran

First case confirmed in Cardiff

Can't believe it. OMG Dettol KILLS coronavirus THEY KNEW ALL ALONG.

First one today from Cardiff. Wonder which part he lives?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    First one today from Cardiff. Wonder which part he lives?
    Splott

Lets be fair if the media and government said nothing that would be wrong .

I am happy with the frenzy , as long as its teaches the dirty fecks who dont wash their hands after the toilet ,and there is many of them

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Splott
    Fluwater

It's ok, Jemma from my old maths class has shared it on Facebook that there's another case in Wales.

THANKS JEMMA

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyBluebirds View Post
    My work colleague's girlfriend knows people who have worked with the Deloitte London case. So what's that - 4 degrees of separation?
    Yep, 4 points, top of the leaderboard. Although now that there's a case in Cardiff it's been thrown wide open

Got to be 3 or less to impress now surely? After adz rightly pointed out the 6 degrees of separation.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Got to be 3 or less to impress now surely? After adz rightly pointed out the 6 degrees of separation.
    If someone steps up to the plate with 3 degrees then great, up until then 4 is winning

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    If someone steps up to the plate with 3 degrees then great, up until then 4 is winning
    Like Liverpool winning the CL after an early penalty. CL trophy is great no doubt but it was a pretty shit win. If you catch my drift.