+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the closest anyone is to the Coronavirus at the moment

What's the closest anyone is to the Coronavirus at the moment

Degrees of separation, confirmed cases only.

I'll go first

My girlfriend's workmate's boyfriend's workmate's housemate's got it (that Swansea case.)

5 degrees, minus 1 because I live with my girlfriend: 4 points

Re: What's the closest anyone is to the Coronavirus at the moment

I read about someone having it.

Not sure but this is good news for some worried about having to isolate https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51738837

I'm very suspicious about it all, and feel that it's a cause of distraction for something as yet identified.

If I get it, I'm sure it'll be no worse than the one time in my life that I had flu (proper flu, none of this heavy cold nonsense).

Bloke in work didn't come in Monday.
    He'd been up the club on the weekend one of his mates had been to Italy woke up Sunday with a cold and called up to be checked out.
    He didn't have it so he's back in work

I know Delmbox and have had a pint with him.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I know Delmbox and have had a pint with him.
    In Berlin as well, Germany & Italy, where it first reared its head in Europe, teamed up together in WW2. Do I get any points?

Media appears to be on a mission to bombard us with coronavirus scare stories in spite of no British residents from a total population of 67 million having died from it.

The Spanish Flu outbreaks in the UK during 1918 killed between 225k-250k and infected a quarter of the population (11 million citizens). There's many recollections to be found of perfectly healthy people at breakfast who were dead by teatime, their faces having turned a bluey colour while gasping for breath. The first wave did little damage, the last, from October to December, killed most.

I wonder why it’s spread so much in Italy but not here? Why Italy? Also, told to buy hand sanitizer but it’s sold out everywhere so how can this be done?

In Berlin as well, Germany & Italy, where it first reared its head in Europe, teamed up together in WW2. Do I get any points?
    You get 5 points

You
    Me
    My girlfriend
    Her workmate
    Her workmate's boyfriend
    His housemate's workmate

Great game this, I'm buzzing

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    You get 5 points

You
    Me
    My girlfriend
    Her workmate
    Her workmate's boyfriend
    His housemate's workmate

Great game this, I'm buzzing
    I am top of the league, say I am top of the league!!!!

I am top of the league, say I am top of the league!!!!
    The fewer points the better Steve

There are about 15 or so known cases in my city in basque country. It’s going to kick off here big time. It’ll just start spreading and there’ll be a few hundred with a week or two probs. It’s spread rapidly wherever it’s been.

I’m actually feeling a bit grotty and wouldn’t be surprised if I had it. A lot of my students are doctors in the local hospital, which is where the outbreak is centered.

Apparently it’s just like having a normal flu though for most people.

Matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I wonder why it’s spread so much in Italy but not here? Why Italy? Also, told to buy hand sanitizer but it’s sold out everywhere so how can this be done?
    It’ll reach you sooner or later. There’ll probably be a load of cases in the uk too before the year is out.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    I'm very suspicious about it all, and feel that it's a cause of distraction for something as yet identified.

If I get it, I'm sure it'll be no worse than the one time in my life that I had flu (proper flu, none of this heavy cold nonsense).
    The virus spreads quickly. Quicker than any other virus has.

You and most of us here will probably be ok if we get it. But you'll need some medical attention and time off work, and if thousands of others are simultaneously ill then that's bad news for everyone as it makes everything more difficult. And you might give it to your elderly parents or grandparents who aren't as robust as you.

If a clamour in the media gets people to think a bit more seriously about handwashing for a while, it seems a price worth paying.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Media appears to be on a mission to bombard us with coronavirus scare stories in spite of no British residents from a total population of 67 million having died from it.

The Spanish Flu outbreaks in the UK during 1918 killed between 225k-250k and infected a quarter of the population (11 million citizens). There's many recollections to be found of perfectly healthy people at breakfast who were dead by teatime, their faces having turned a bluey colour while gasping for breath. The first wave did little damage, the last, from October to December, killed most.

Hey Organ, over on the politics board you kept saying that we'll all be fine because only East Asian people had died.

But now we'll all be fine because no British residents have died from it.*

*Not true, but I assume you're not counting the death as it was caught from the cruise ship.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Hey Organ, over on the politics board you kept saying that we'll all be fine because only East Asian people had died.

But now we'll all be fine because no British residents have died from it.*

*Not true, but I assume you're not counting the death as it was caught from the cruise ship.
    Where shall I begin...

I haven't been able to go back to work for 6 weeks. Every time I go outside I HAVE TO wear a mask. Each time I enter and leave a public building I have to use my phone to scan a QR code, they also use a laser thermometer to measure your temperature.
    You cannot pay for anything using cash, they won't handle it, it has to be electronic payment (Wechat app).
    If you're lucky to find a restaurant/diner that's open, you cannot sit inside, takeaway only.
    Some cities restrict movement by allowing just one family member to go outside once every 3 days. They can monitor your movement because every apartment block has security guards who will instruct you to scan the QR code when entering or leaving.

People over here that don’t have health insurance have to pay to see a doctor. Unless they set up free clinics in NYC and other big cities in the US it’s going to explode over here. 11 deaths in the US so far.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    The fewer points the better Steve
    Are you Alexander Armstrong or Richard Osman?

Just back from a weeks holiday in Costa Adeje, Tenerife. Stayed a few 100 yds from the isolated hotel. We had a great time out there and couldn't believe the texts we were receiving from back home concerned about us.nobody gave a shit out there and we all just got on with our holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post

More people died from Spanish 'flu than the both World Wars..

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    Just back from a weeks holiday in Costa Adeje, Tenerife. Stayed a few 100 yds from the isolated hotel. We had a great time out there and couldn't believe the texts we were receiving from back home concerned about us.nobody gave a shit out there and we all just got on with our holiday.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there are more fatalities in the UK from people dying of stress worrying about it, than people actual getting infected by it and dying..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    More people died from Spanish 'flu than the both World Wars..
    That is simply not true!

Spanish Flu: best estimate of deaths is between 17 and 50million (the most recent study in 2018 states 17 million)
    World War I: between 20.5 and 22million
    World War II: between 70 and 85million

The scary thing about the Spanish Flu was the fact that most fatalities were younger people (under 65). The virus mutated and turned people's own immune system against them, so the healthier you were, the more chance of dying. Hence lots of 20-30 year olds unfortunately dying.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if there are more fatalities in the UK from people dying of stress worrying about it, than people actual getting infected by it and dying..
    Yes this is true. More people will die of heart disease and diabetes this year than of coronavirus. But hardly anyone dies from a plane crash yet when one happens it's always on the front pages. So it's not simply about how many die and nothing else.

For media attention, it's also the novelty and Hollywood storyline. That's what's got people interested, not the death rate.

If the virus spreads quickly, as it probably will, then people are affected in all sorts of ways. Hospitals will be swamped, so standard procedures like knee operations will be postponed for months. All manner of services will be affected by staff being off sick. This is how everyone's lives will be affected. I don't know why so many just look at the death rate and no further.