+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: shelves looking empty -- how long could you survive with whats in your cupboards

Re: shelves looking empty -- how long could you survive with whats in your cupboards

So much for the "Blitz Spirit", first sign of a problem and we go mental...

Re: shelves looking empty -- how long could you survive with whats in your cupboards

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    https://youtu.be/FV8tciBFpCI

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    The TV series Foyle's War threw many spanners in the rosy wartime reminiscing. Food hoarding and looting was widespread, spivs like Private Walker's character in Dad's Army did a roaring trade and strikes, though illegal, were commonplace with miners and dockers being especially keen to boost their pay. The national crime rate was 60% higher in 1945 than it was at the outbreak of war in 1939.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Ive just had a chat with my fellow footy coach about the shelves being empty, he had gone to get something for tea last night and noticed it aswell

for me, if you are going to eat it / use it and it had a good shelf life, then it makes no difference to buy a few extra now, he said its crazy what people do, but I asked " who are crazy ? ? ? the people who will be eating or the people who are saying, people are stupid and we shouldnt do anything and will be potentially hungry " ? ? ?

as i said, we always have well stocked cupboards, but thats due to me and in the past at times having little money, so when we had money, we stocked up

but back to the question, how long could you eat with the food you have in your house, i think it'll be interesting to see what people can do
    **** me, you are stupid. The harm of you buying extra in and of itself isn't a problem. The harm comes when 1000 people are doing it. Then, the dominoes have started to fall.

I have 2-3 days of fresh food, and I don't buy tinned crap, or dried pasta because it is shit. If I am sick, I'll order online. If I am not, I'll go to the shop when they have stocked up again. You went to Tesco to get cheese, sweetcorn and a tomato. You came out with loo roll, boxes of pasta and other stuff. You are crazy, and selfish in equal measure. Why are you panicking? What is about to happen? Let's tackle this stupidity head on.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    **** me, you are stupid. The harm of you buying extra in and of itself isn't a problem. The harm comes when 1000 people are doing it. Then, the dominoes have started to fall.

I have 2-3 days of fresh food, and I don't buy tinned crap, or dried pasta because it is shit. If I am sick, I'll order online. If I am not, I'll go to the shop when they have stocked up again. You went to Tesco to get cheese, sweetcorn and a tomato. You came out with loo roll, boxes of pasta and other stuff. You are crazy, and selfish in equal measure. Why are you panicking? What is about to happen? Let's tackle this stupidity head on.
    I thought that tinned tomatoes are healthier than version of the same tomatoes that take time to wend their way to us.

Rational irrationality. Absolutely bonkers. But I'm not seeing it at all. Ive been to a butchers, cornershop and two small supermarkets this morning for various errands. I wasnt looking for bog roll or hand sanitiser but the shelves were full

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I thought that tinned tomatoes are healthier than version of the same tomatoes that take time to wend their way to us.
    They can be. Ditto a lot of frozen stuff. And not sure if he thinks egg pasta is superior to dried pasta or if he thinks they are both shit. Ive some sympathy for the argument that they are both shit, but to choose one over the other on the grounds of quality is a bit wonky.

The biggest take away from this a the moment is that people have had to be reminded about their personal hygiene!!!

I always call into Lidl on Fridays on the way home from work 2GI rolls and some chicken and today has been no different, I didn't notice any shortages other than all the hand gels were no more at the checkouts, I usually get one for the next week in work as i always have a bottle on my desk, 49p previously, looking on amazon couple of nights ago £5 a bottle was being asked, when getting my rolls it occurred that, you have the steel grabs now to get stuff which i have always thought a decent thing I don't like to see people handling food that doesn't have a protective layer but in the current situation, it is possibly not the best idea to have these steel grabs. We have changed policy slightly in work, no more tea making duties taking turns, we just now make our own so that we do not have to touch each others cups etc. I use paper towels when going through doors etc. but always have as I always try to take measures to avoid catching the bugs that go around offices.
    Waiting to pay at Lidl today, I've never seen so much bog roll at the check out

If South Wales runs out of toilet paper I'll have to consider having a shit on the other side of the bridge.
    If only there was a song about that 😊

What’s the deal with toilet paper? Why is everyone stocking up on that?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    What’s the deal with toilet paper? Why is everyone stocking up on that?
    Obviously pretty serious stuff:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...buying-spreads

I think 2 weeks easily, possibly 3.

International

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Ive just had a chat with my fellow footy coach about the shelves being empty, he had gone to get something for tea last night and noticed it aswell

for me, if you are going to eat it / use it and it had a good shelf life, then it makes no difference to buy a few extra now, he said its crazy what people do, but I asked " who are crazy ? ? ? the people who will be eating or the people who are saying, people are stupid and we shouldnt do anything and will be potentially hungry " ? ? ?

as i said, we always have well stocked cupboards, but thats due to me and in the past at times having little money, so when we had money, we stocked up

but back to the question, how long could you eat with the food you have in your house, i think it'll be interesting to see what people can do
    I don't know which Tesco Extra you use but I was in the one on Western Ave yesterday and I couldn't find an empty shelf anywhere.
    Everything was perfectly normal, no panic buying, no long queues, nothing.
    I think there is more scaremongering going on that panicking.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Wow.... let's all panic like you did.
    People have been queuing outside these places to get it before they open. Madness. It’s all part of the very selfish i world we now live in. The average age of the people who have died in Italy is 81, these are the people we need to be looking out for, buying stuff for.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I don't know which Tesco Extra you use but I was in the one on Western Ave yesterday and I couldn't find an empty shelf anywhere.

Nor me, Morrison’s and Sainsbury fine in Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I was there this morning. Rice and pasta shelves were looking a bit bare.

Did a shop in Waitrose in Sheffield this morning and all was normal - even quieter than normal - except for the massive holes in the shelves where toilet paper and paracetamol should be. They had been wiped out. Messages up about new supplies due in 10 days!

Survive? Maybe two weeks. That would probably involve rationing and wouldn't be much fun.

My wife does loads of batch cooking so we’ve got loads of curry, spag Bol, sausage casserole etc in the freezer. I always buy a huge sack of whole meal rice every 6 months too so I reckon I’m good for a month. I can’t see us doing a Chinese style lockdown here anyway, and if we do it won’t last long and will probably coincide with Easter. People are still going shopping in Italy no problems.

The slowest of the slow will be rolling around on supermarket floors fighting one another for the last Pot Noodle.

Meanwhile Blue Matt and his family will have their feet up watching the telly having quietly accumulated a large hoard of grub and consumables to help weather the incoming economic crap storm.

The humble tin of Spam is also known as doomsday food because it will remain edible for at least 50 years. There's a massive list of other stuff which will keep for years on end. Pretty much anything freeze dried will along with powdered milk, soup, mashed potato, porridge, etc, that only require hot water to consume. Most of them are unappetising in ordinary times but will be become prized possessions once the you know what hits the fan.

We've got plenty of TP and paper towels though. We've got soap, laundry detergent and washing up liquid. Provided my internet and cable stay online. I could do it.

My mother lives in a rural area, and I have set up a 'dooms day' shed, been a project for about 3 years, finished last summer.

Nothing to crazy, but about 6 months of tinned food for 6 people, 2,000 liters stored drinking water, diesel generator with stored fuel, solar panels.

the house also has a wood burning stove (which can be cooked on)
    so I have aprox 6-8 tonne bags full of dried logs.

loads of stored medication, first aid supplies.

The house could easily operate completely of-grid for a significant amount of time.

My idea was in a worst case scenario I can take my family up to my mothers and be pretty solid for 6-12months, which is long enough for most things to pass.

People may think it is unnecessary, and I really do no expect anything to happen, but considering the financial costs are not that crazy, and the stuff is useful to have around anyway, it seemed like a cool project to work on and to have for some piece of mind.

When I have my own property with land, I plan to emulate it with an underground bunker, will do it one year hopefully with my kids, during a summer holidays, will be a good project they can learn lots from about construction ect. They can just use it as a den then for their friends, put a pool table or something down there.

Asda Coryton massive store not a toilet roll In sight, thank God i can wash my arse from high flush position .

International

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I was there this morning. Rice and pasta shelves were looking a bit bare.
    thats because Blur Matt has been stockpiling

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    My mother lives in a rural area, and I have set up a 'dooms day' shed, been a project for about 3 years, finished last summer.

Nothing to crazy, but about 6 months of tinned food for 6 people, 2,000 liters stored drinking water, diesel generator with stored fuel, solar panels.

the house also has a wood burning stove (which can be cooked on)
    so I have aprox 6-8 tonne bags full of dried logs.

loads of stored medication, first aid supplies.

The house could easily operate completely of-grid for a significant amount of time.

My idea was in a worst case scenario I can take my family up to my mothers and be pretty solid for 6-12months, which is long enough for most things to pass.

People may think it is unnecessary, and I really do no expect anything to happen, but considering the financial costs are not that crazy, and the stuff is useful to have around anyway, it seemed like a cool project to work on and to have for some piece of mind.

When I have my own property with land, I plan to emulate it with an underground bunker, will do it one year hopefully with my kids, during a summer holidays, will be a good project they can learn lots from about construction ect. They can just use it as a den then for their friends, put a pool table or something down there.
    I purchased a powerful home generator 12 years ago having read they disappear first in a societal collapse scenario. It weighs a tonne and remains in the box unopened. I can't recall how much it cost but am positive the same model is over twice the price today.