+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Has anybody here climbed Ben Nevis?

Has anybody here climbed Ben Nevis?

How difficult is it? Do you need to be able to navigate with a map?

Re: Has anybody here climbed Ben Nevis?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    How difficult is it? Do you need to be able to navigate with a map?
    Yes, I’ve done it as part of the 3 peaks challenge ( our group did one a day rather than the 24 hour challenge). It’s a very long steep walk but not actually a climb as you follow a path that zig zags across the mountain. We did have a map but the path is very well marked out and easy to follow. Think it took us about 3 1/2 to 4 hours to get up there taking our time (it took me just over an hour to get down as I left the group behind and jogged down as I was desperate for the toilet!) but it took the others 3 - 4 hours to come down as well

Be prepared for a change in weather, we did it in May, it was nice and warm ( t shirts and shorts ) weather when we set out but once we went through the cloud it got very cold and the top was snow covered so you needed plenty of layers, hat, gloves etc on the top - don’t be deceived if it’s nice at the bottom!

Beautiful scenery up there, well worth doing

Pen y fan nearly killed me if I am honest

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Yes, I’ve done it as part of the 3 peaks challenge ( our group did one a day rather than the 24 hour challenge). It’s a very long steep walk but not actually a climb as you follow a path that zig zags across the mountain. We did have a map but the path is very well marked out and easy to follow. Think it took us about 3 1/2 to 4 hours to get up there taking our time (it took me just over an hour to get down as I left the group behind and jogged down as I was desperate for the toilet!) but it took the others 3 - 4 hours to come down as well

Be prepared for a change in weather, we did it in May, it was nice and warm ( t shirts and shorts ) weather when we set out but once we went through the cloud it got very cold and the top was snow covered so you needed plenty of layers, hat, gloves etc on the top - don’t be deceived if it’s nice at the bottom!

Beautiful scenery up there, well worth doing
    This is great, thanks mate

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Pen y fan nearly killed me if I am honest
    Done Pen Y Fan a few times, so beautiful up there on a clear day

The tourist or mountain path is very very busy and a bit dull until you get up high. Have a look at the CMD Arette. Did it with my 17 year old son a few years back. Park at Torlundy. It’s a loop route so different on the return. Really dramatic views and probably saw 10 people max. It’s not technical climbing but some scrambling. You’ll have to judge if it is suitable for you and your party. Maps and basic tech kit for high hills is always recommended. The weather can change so quickly. Enjoy.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

People have already made most of the relevant points. Ben Nevis is not to be underestimated. It can be difficult and potentially dangerous given its changing weather conditions. It takes around 4 hours up and about 3 hours down for reasonably fit people.

Try to climb during the summer months when there is longer daylight hours and the chance of better weather. It may be warm or sunny at the base but by the time you get up near the summit the temperature is normally below freezing.

If you go in the summer months it also makes the walk a lot safer because more people will be on the mountain which makes staying on the path easier. Even at the height of summer snow can obscure the path so it’s easy to become disorientated

Make sure you have proper clothing, layers are the key including waterproofs. Take warm drinks and energy bars for snacks. And the usual map, compass, whistle etc. Ben Nevis also has a surprisingly good phone signal, so it is worth making sure your phone is fully charged in case you get into any difficulty and for photos. Carry it in an inside pocket to keep the battery warm

In case cloud comes in when you’re at the top make sure that you know where the path down goes so you can find it easily and take your time.

Check the weather forecast before setting off. If you have a few days to spare its a good idea to plan to go at the beginning of your stay so that if the weather turns bad you still have a chance of getting up before you have to head for home

Be safe. Enjoy the views

No, but I’ve been up Primrose Hill

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Done Pen Y Fan a few times, so beautiful up there on a clear day
    It is beautiful, but busy!

Done Pen Y Fan xmas day and it was very busy up there.