+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gilmour

Gilmour

What a performance last night for Chelsea. WHY cannot we put faith in some of our 18 year olds....keep hearing how good they are....give them at least an our or so...sink or swim.....

Re: Gilmour

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    What a performance last night for Chelsea. WHY cannot we put faith in some of our 18 year olds....keep hearing how good they are....give them at least an our or so...sink or swim.....
    He needed sub-titles though!

Every time an 18 year old has a good game for a big team someone says this. Billy Gilmour is one of the best young players in the country, I'd love to see some youngsters in our team but it's not just a case of "he's young, put him in."

There's a very good chance the reason our youngsters aren't in the team is that they're shit, or at the very least not currently good enough, in which case letting them "sink" in front of 15000 people, some of whom booed off a player who'd scored 6 in 5 games a couple of weeks ago isn't going to do much for their development

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Every time an 18 year old has a good game for a big team someone says this. Billy Gilmour is one of the best young players in the country, I'd love to see some youngsters in our team but it's not just a case of "he's young, put him in."

There's a very good chance the reason our youngsters aren't in the team is that they're shit, or at the very least not currently good enough, in which case letting them "sink" in front of 15000 people, some of whom booed off a player who'd scored 6 in 5 games a couple of weeks ago isn't going to do much for their development
    Comparisons with Chelsea are pointless. They have hoovered up the best young talent for years and invested massively in youth coaching.
    However recently Middlesbrough played 7 academy players in a championship game and won 1-0. Yes they're in trouble in this league, but there's no reason why they can find players who can do a job at this level and we can't.

As of half way through the season we hadn't given any league minutes to anyone under the age of 23 and we have a big chunk of the squad fast approaching 30.
    age-2019-12-24-2-ch.jpg

Terrible image sorry, I'll find the link instead

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post

Come on......that was Murphy...not an academy player...am have been around long enough to see young players come in and do well....Toshack....George Johnston......Dilwyn John.......Barry Hole.....Steve Gammon....and many others over the years. The old adage 'if they are good enough....' still holds true... Some players rise to the occasion and thrive. If they are not knocking on the door at 18-20 then they need to be moved on.

Because they aren't good enough. You don't just chuck random kids into the first team for the sake of having them there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    However recently Middlesbrough played 7 academy players in a championship game and won 1-0. Yes they're in trouble in this league, but there's no reason why they can find players who can do a job at this level and we can't.
    They have a cat 1 academy and have invested into their set up, something we have neglected for a while, comparisons to Boro are off base.

Our setup was (is) pitiful, sending kids to Barry and keeping them around whilst in their early twenties smacks of a club that had no idea what they wanted from their youth. Who was the last player who came from our academy to play at a high level? (Not including Rabbi because we can't take credit for him) That should tell you all you need to know about the quality of player we are producing

Come on......that was Murphy...not an academy player...am have been around long enough to see young players come in and do well....Toshack....George Johnston......Dilwyn John.......Barry Hole.....Steve Gammon....and many others over the years. The old adage 'if they are good enough....' still holds true... Some players rise to the occasion and thrive. If they are not knocking on the door at 18-20 then they need to be moved on.
    My point with Murphy is that we're not the most forgiving fanbase.

I totally agree with "if they're good enough they're old enough" but doesn't the fact that two successive managers don't want to play them in the Championship show that they're not good enough? So what's the point of chucking them in just because they're young?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Comparisons with Chelsea are pointless. They have hoovered up the best young talent for years and invested massively in youth coaching.

As of half way through the season we hadn't given any league minutes to anyone under the age of 23 and we have a big chunk of the squad fast approaching 30.
    age-2019-12-24-2-ch.jpg

Terrible image sorry, I'll find the link instead
    1 reason why Brentford ditched their academy was that it was impossible to compete in London.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Because they aren't good enough. You don't just chuck random kids into the first team for the sake of having them there.
    We couldn't get any League Two clubs to take Cameron Coxe on loan because they didn't think he was good enough, but there were people on here who wanted us to play him in the Championship.

Didn't see that game, and I'm going to miss most of this one, but they're 2 nil up and he's started in the league today after that impressive game in the cup.

That's the way to take your chance. Fair play. I like the fact they are going for Europe and put an 18 year old kid in on merit, and laugh at the way we put one on the bench to get him a pro contract and cover injuries but he's not been seen since

Gilmour is having a neat and tidy game today but according to the Sky commentators he is only in the side because of injury to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Gilmour is having a neat and tidy game today but according to the Sky commentators he is only in the side because of injury to others.
    Ah yes, Jorginho, Kante and Kovacic all missing according to FlashScores app

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Didn't see that game, and I'm going to miss most of this one, but they're 2 nil up and he's started in the league today after that impressive game in the cup.

That's the way to take your chance. Fair play. I like the fact they are going for Europe and put an 18 year old kid in on merit, and laugh at the way we put one on the bench to get him a pro contract and cover injuries but he's not been seen since
    hey...we agree....

hey...we agree....
    We are a team playing a utility man up top to scrape into the PO places, we aren't going to see any kids until we are mathematically unable to get into them.

We are a team playing a utility man up top to scrape into the PO places, we aren't going to see any kids until we are mathematically unable to get into them.
    even then???? Tough run of games coming up.

Yet Williams wasn't in the Liverpool squad on merit after having a good game against a strong Chelsea team

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Yet Williams wasn't in the Liverpool squad on merit after having a good game against a strong Chelsea team
    Read the thread. I was told about the injuries after I posted that. But yeah carry on..

Read the thread. I was told about the injuries after I posted that. But yeah carry on..
    Oh yeah, he was cover for leftback, I forgot

Oh yeah, he was cover for leftback, I forgot
    You used fast food to argue the minimum unit charge, when you drink a bottle a day, you'll argue anything for the sake of it. At least sludge has a point when we bicker for fun.

You used fast food to argue the minimum unit charge, when you drink a bottle a day, you'll argue anything for the sake of it. At least sludge has a point when we bicker for fun.
    Last word? ☺

Last word? ☺
    You take it, sir.