+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the best documentary you have ever seen ?

What's the best documentary you have ever seen ?

That one Jon pilger did on the killing fields , christ it was grim but compelling

Re: What's the best documentary you have ever seen ?

Devil next door on Netflix is a good one.

Making a Murderer has to be seen to be believed too.

The Office

I like most of Louis Theroux’s.

The Storyville slot on BBC Four / BBC iPlayer is terrific. It features documentaries from all around the world.

A particularly good one that I watched last year (3 episodes, each being one-hour long) was about a highly-acclaimed Italian surgeon employed by a pioneering hospital in Finland. It was called 'The Downfall of A Super-Surgeon'.

A combination of charm, kudos and a sense of invincibility meant that he was killing people in a project that wasn't working i.e. building new tracheas by grafting stem cells on a man-made tubular structure - and by remove the patients' original tracheas and which resulted in the patients (some of whom were interviewed) dying when the new implants failed (and many of the patients weren't in danger of dying in the first place). The surgeon in question seemed to be less than honest and analytical regarding the overwhelming failure rate and his employers were loath to challenge him. The intriguing thing was that the surgeon was being filmed and interviewed (in English by a Swedish journalist) as part of a more conventional documentary at first. Only part of the way in does the journalist realise that something more is involved.

Paradise Lost , The West Memphis Three

Three young boys murdered and sexually mutilated , three local teenagers are arrested

One has special educational needs , one is very shy , one is a bit of a metal head , dresses in black etc

It's basically a complete fit up by the bigoted local police , and the whole documentary is an analysis of the backward culture of the bible belt culture that is ingrained in law enforcement , the local community and ultimately the criminal justice system

The film is three hours long and covers the police first finding the bodies , which is extremely graphic and distressing , through the arrest of the young men on no evidence apart from they were on the edge of society , through the trial , the conviction of the young men and the subsequent battle by educated local people who know these young men had been framed and wrongly convicted of ritual sadistic murder by a corrupt police , and local jury

A follow up was made a few years later

The campaign group never stopped in their fight to release the convicted young men

This all began in the mid 1990s

They were finally released from prison , as grown men , in their late thirties , a few years ago

Its compelling viewing and it's very clear who the murderer is from very early in the film

I wont give anything else away but I am amazed he hasn't been put on trial since the innocent mens release

They have lost twenty years of their lives

All because of a twisted criminal investigation and deep south bigotry

A total fit up

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The Storyville slot on BBC Four / BBC iPlayer is terrific. It features documentaries from all around the world.

A particularly good one that I watched last year (3 episodes, each being one-hour long) was about a highly-acclaimed Italian surgeon employed by a pioneering hospital in Finland. It was called 'The Downfall of A Super-Surgeon'.

A combination of charm, kudos and a sense of invincibility meant that he was killing people in a project that wasn't working i.e. building new tracheas by grafting stem cells on a man-made tubular structure - and by remove the patients' original tracheas and which resulted in the patients (some of whom were interviewed) dying when the new implants failed (and many of the patients weren't in danger of dying in the first place). The surgeon in question seemed to be less than honest and analytical regarding the overwhelming failure rate and his employers were loath to challenge him. The intriguing thing was that the surgeon was being filmed and interviewed (in English by a Swedish journalist) as part of a more conventional documentary at first. Only part of the way in does the journalist realise that something more is involved.
    Sounds scary

Death On The Staircase

A successful author is arrested after his wife is found with fatal injuries at the bottom of the stairs

Story of the police investigation and the cameras also follow him and his family and his wifes family around up to the verdict

Edge of your seat stuff

Ken Burns Vietnam War, watched it twice all the way through. What a completely pointless waste of life on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Des View Post
    Ken Burns Vietnam War, watched it twice all the way through. What a completely pointless waste of life on both sides.
    Ain't that the truth

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Devil next door on Netflix is a good one.

Making a Murderer has to be seen to be believed too.
    Remember that Cleveland bloke , havnt seen making of a murderer , will take a peek

I watched city 40 recently about a closed city in Russia. Had no idea these even existed. It's a good watch.

Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot View Post
    I watched city 40 recently about a closed city in Russia. Had no idea these even existed. It's a good watch.
    Will check it out

The World at War, narrated by Sir Larry O.

Inside Job about the 2008 financial crisis

There's so many it would take me almost forever to list them: I'm a documentary junkie so I watch a lot of them. However, a random one for anyone who hasn't seen it; Orion, the singer in the mask who was a sort of Elvis tribute with a voice which was uncannily similar. Fascinating!!!

DARK LEGACY, always springs to mind.

The killing of JFK.

Ken Burns - Baseball

The World At War.

The Nazis A Warning From History, brilliantly produced series.

I remember seeing a documentary called All My Loving by the director Tony Palmer circa 1970. All the great music of the time set against a background of the Vietnam War - pretty horrific.

Twin Town.

Who killed the electric car,

this is great shows how a small wing of General motors released an electric car in 1997, which was really good and popular, the big wigs within the company shit themselves, recalled the cars and crushed them all, before investing millions into anti electric lobby groups.

Blackfish, a documentary about the Killer Whales in sea world

Quote Originally Posted by Zowhore View Post
    Blackfish, a documentary about the Killer Whales in sea world
    That's fantastic , poor animal went off his head

Many SeaWorld have been shut down since

But you still see stupid dumb brits on holiday with their kids having pictures taken with dolphins that are basically slaves kept captive for human entertainment and greed

These animals should be in the sea