+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Abusive chanting at Barnsley.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Abusive chanting at Barnsley.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Sky sports news headline tonight is discriminatory chanting by cardiff fans! Is this true or just another over reaction like Reading? Can anyone confirm?
    There was that embarrassing Swansea song; 'We're sheepshagging bastards' and 'Engerland is full of shit' together with some fantastic renditions of the anthem and Men of Harlech. Take your pick!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51786941

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    There was that embarrassing Swansea song; 'We're sheepshagging bastards' and 'Engerland is full of shit' together with some fantastic renditions of the anthem and Men of Harlech. Take your pick!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51786941
    That Swansea song is shameful. Last year we regularly got crowds of 30k plus so eventually someone who has abused as a child or has had a loved one who has been is going to hear it and what is their reaction meant to be?

I don't fully understand why singing discriminatory songs at a football game produces headlines when i) tedious jokes by a famous chocolate bar doesn't or ii) sky news asking if Welsh is the most pointless language doesn't or iii) the then prime minister choosing to make people worried about going to doctors in Wales by saying difference between life and death is offa's dyke doesn't lead to similar "investigation". Don't think we have to shy away from criticising anti-English song book but our football fans literally have the smallest reach compared to any three examples given and yet it seems our fans are the only ones being spoken about in UK wide media, even when Reading fans sang tedious anti-Welsh songs in response or perhaps first.

On the presumption that it is Reading Mk II of course.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    That Swansea song is shameful. Last year we regularly got crowds of 30k plus so eventually someone who has abused as a child or has had a loved one who has been is going to hear it and what is their reaction meant to be?

I don't fully understand why singing discriminatory songs at a football game produces headlines when i) tedious jokes by a famous chocolate bar doesn't or ii) sky news asking if Welsh is the most pointless language doesn't or iii) the then prime minister choosing to make people worried about going to doctors in Wales by saying difference between life and death is offa's dyke doesn't lead to similar "investigation". Don't think we have to shy away from criticising anti-English song book but our football fans literally have the smallest reach compared to any three examples given and yet it seems our fans are the only ones being spoken about in UK wide media, even when Reading fans sang tedious anti-Welsh songs in response or perhaps first.

On the presumption that it is Reading Mk II of course.
    Like it or not, this seems to be the future. These moronic songs sung by moronic people are being seen as ‘discriminatory’. I can’t see this trend being reversed so the wordsmiths had better come up with something better, or maybe even relating to our team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Like it or not, this seems to be the future. These moronic songs sung by moronic people are being seen as ‘discriminatory’. I can’t see this trend being reversed so the wordsmiths had better come up with something better, or maybe even relating to our team.
    But why are our "wordsmiths" being highlighted when those who have actual influence get away with it?

I absolutely detest it and categorically refuse to sing that, or the anti-English stuff. It makes us look pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    I absolutely detest it and categorically refuse to sing that, or the anti-English stuff. It makes us look pathetic.
    I posted on here the other week that I reckon it’s time we started booing the moronic element of our lot when they start singing this crap.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I posted on here the other week that I reckon it’s time we started booing the moronic element of our lot when they start singing this crap.
    Is that needed? If majority don't sing it but are willing to start and/or sing other songs then tedious stuff will die out. Pro-Cardiff, pro-Welsh stuff would be much, much better.

Is that needed? If majority don't sing it but are willing to start and/or sing other songs then tedious stuff will die out. Pro-Cardiff, pro-Welsh stuff would be much, much better.
    Tried it a few seasons ago at Fratton Park, if I remember correctly, a few of us started up ‘Oh When The Blues Go Marching In’ but it quickly morphed into ‘Oh England.......etc’. Annoying that for some of our lot it’s the only words that they know to that song. Compared to how we were on the old Grange End late 60s/early 70s our current singing section is absolutely abysmal, negative songs far outweigh the positive. That’s not looking back with rose tinted glasses, if you are old enough to have been there you’d know it’s the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I go to a lot of the away games and when you're in the away end it does seem like a considerable number who sing the Swansea and anti-England songs not just a small minority. It can be hard to tell sometimes- doesn't take many to make a noise - but it never seems just a few.