+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Quarantine

Quarantine

Anyone reckon it will eventually happen here too? Or have we delayed or prevented this by getting the washing hands message out early? Seems like the Italians were caught unaware of how easily it is to carry and pass on. Didn’t realise they have the oldest population in Europe either which is why the average age of those dying there is 81.
    I guess if we are going to attempt that schools etc close for 2 weeks in 4 weeks time so that would be the time.

Re: Quarantine

I think average age of those dying is 81 is because it becomes a lot more dangerous if you are very old. I think world wide mortality rate is 20% in those who get it and are over 80.

I wouldn’t be surprised if schools and universities shut for a few weeks.

I wouldn’t be surprised if remote working was encouraged soon. I know I have mates who work in trading who have 50% of the office working from home one week and 50% the following.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Anyone reckon it will eventually happen here too? Or have we delayed or prevented this by getting the washing hands message out early? Seems like the Italians were caught unaware of how easily it is to carry and pass on. Didn’t realise they have the oldest population in Europe either which is why the average age of those dying there is 81.
    I guess if we are going to attempt that schools etc close for 2 weeks in 4 weeks time so that would be the time.
    Will it happen here, yes. But, why do you think closing schools for 2 weeks now is going to solve anything? We are only in the early stages, this will be with us for months. Schools will be closing for 2 weeks in a few weeks time anyway. We'll still be getting rolling death toll and infection figures in September. Funny enough, nobody is telling us how many people have recovered because, well, that may result in people panicking less.

According to Worldometer

106,467 cases
    60,276 recoveries
    3,600 deaths.

42,591 people currently have the illness.

Flu or complications from it kills tens thousands of people around the world every year, particularly those with weakened immune systems so I imagine this is no different ans perhaps shouldn't be treated so either.

Only once in my life have I had proper flu and I didn't know what hit me but if it's inevitable, then I'll just take it. Whether the fact that those who have had flu in the past are now a bit more resistant to this Coronavirus is anybody's guess.

The sceptic in me says that the mass media coverage is to distract us from something else.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Flu or complications from it kills tens thousands of people around the world every year, particularly those with weakened immune systems so I imagine this is no different ans perhaps shouldn't be treated so either.

Only once in my life have I had proper flu and I didn't know what hit me but if it's inevitable, then I'll just take it. Whether the fact that those who have had flu in the past are now a bit more resistant to this Coronavirus is anybody's guess.

The sceptic in me says that the mass media coverage is to distract us from something else.
    It's not anyone's guess. This virus is not the flu.

It's sweeping round the world and closing down regions in different continents. Why is the media attention a surprise or suspicious?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

It's sweeping round the world and closing down regions in different continents. Why is the media attention a surprise or suspicious?
    The number of new cases on China has been the lowest since the outbreak stared. nobody in the UK has died as a result of coronovirus. Boring facts - much better to have " 100,000 death toll is worst case scenario"

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The number of new cases on China has been the lowest since the outbreak stared. nobody in the UK has died as a result of coronovirus. Boring facts - much better to have " 100,000 death toll is worst case scenario"
    My only worry with China is its honesty and ability to cull .

Haven't two people in the UK died? And another Brit from the Japanese ship?

People die every day in their thousands.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    People die every day in their thousands.
    About 150,000 people die every day - but that is not relevant to whether or not there have been UK corovirus fatalities.

The 2 that died in the UK did so 'with coronavirus' apparently, ie, they had the virus but died as a result of pre-existing medical conditions..

True thousands around the world die of cancer, heart disease, flu, suicide, other humans killing them etc....nothing compared to malaria mind. Maybe the government here are happy to reduce the burden on the nhs and social care by bumping off a few thousand oldies?
    Who knows but a few people have all ready said this to me.

The 2 that died in the UK did so 'with coronavirus' apparently, ie, they had the virus but died as a result of pre-existing medical conditions..
    In the same way that most people don't die of AIDS but from another illness. Would these two have died recently without the coronavirus? Impossible to say, but surely unlikely. And isn't the fact that it's only two (so far) more down to the virus only recently arriving in the UK rather than any other reason? Saying it's a fact that no one in the UK has died as a result of this coronavirus is wrong. It's not a fact.

Most people who get coronavirus won't die, but that's not the entire point. Having a disease run through a community causes all sorts of problems, not just the risk of infecting the vulnerable and leading to their deaths but also the damage to daily life that having a lot of people simultaneously off work causes. It's the same reason that we vaccinate against measles. Because having a measles outbreak is no fun for anyone.

Because I'm not stupid enough to believe everything I'm told, but intelligent enough to question what I am.

Because I'm not stupid enough to believe everything I'm told, but intelligent enough to question what I am.
    Surely it's the governments' actions you should be questioning, not the media's reporting..

Surely it's the governments' actions you should be questioning, not the media's reporting..
    Not questioning media reporting has turned you into a bit of a laughing stock, well for me anyway with all your Russia collusion crap

In the same way that most people don't die of AIDS but from another illness. Would these two have died recently without the coronavirus? Impossible to say, but surely unlikely. And isn't the fact that it's only two (so far) more down to the virus only recently arriving in the UK rather than any other reason? Saying it's a fact that no one in the UK has died as a result of this coronavirus is wrong. It's not a fact.

Most people who get coronavirus won't die, but that's not the entire point. Having a disease run through a community causes all sorts of problems, not just the risk of infecting the vulnerable and leading to their deaths but also the damage to daily life that having a lot of people simultaneously off work causes. It's the same reason that we vaccinate against measles. Because having a measles outbreak is no fun for anyone.
    I'm no expert but I presume when you're talking re. AIDS deaths, the majority were as a result of secondary factors as a result of contracting AIDS. The 2 UK deaths were not caused by Coronavirus. The 2 unfortunate people died of chronic conditions which they had before they contracted the virus. Anyway, however you look at it, whilst precautions are necessary to stop the spread, the over-reaction of the media has been beyond belief..

So what exactly are you suggesting? That Italy haven't quarantined 16 million people? Or Japan haven't closed all schools? Or several states in the US haven't declared a state of emergency?

Do you think those things haven't happened and the media's made them up? Because if they have happened they suggest that there are some pretty serious worries about the spread of the virus, which I'd say is newsworthy

I'm no expert but I presume when you're talking re. AIDS deaths, the majority were as a result of secondary factors as a result of contracting AIDS. The 2 UK deaths were not caused by Coronavirus. The 2 unfortunate people died of chronic conditions which they had before they contracted the virus. Anyway, however you look at it, whilst precautions are necessary to stop the spread, the over-reaction of the media has been beyond belief..
    You should get in touch with the WHO. Don't give away your consultancy for free on here.

Because the kill rate isn't as scary as reported and we'll all find bog roll.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    So what exactly are you suggesting? That Italy haven't quarantined 16 million people? Or Japan haven't closed all schools? Or several states in the US haven't declared a state of emergency?

Do you think those things haven't happened and the media's made them up? Because if they have happened they suggest that there are some pretty serious worries about the spread of the virus, which I'd say is newsworthy
    That told em , some folk hate the media , they blamed it for everything even political defeat , its better than facing the truth ,its a sort of blame crutch

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Because the kill rate isn't as scary as reported and we'll all find bog roll.
    It's not all about the kill rate. As I said above. Having thousands of people ill at the same time is not good for anyone.

Italy suspends all sporting events and non essential travel. That bloody media again

posts that age like milk

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    posts that age like milk
    Why say that?