+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Comfortable in the end as Cardiff keep Play Off hopes alive at Barnsley.

Comfortable in the end as Cardiff keep Play Off hopes alive at Barnsley.

Re: Comfortable in the end as Cardiff keep Play Off hopes alive at Barnsley.

I think it’s a different Sully set up now Paul. The old Welsh League club, Sully, played at the Burnham Avenue ground in the village, their base was the Constitutional Club on the main road for a while, a businessman, Joffrey (can’t for the life of remember his surname) bankrolled them for a while and they did pay players a few bob. Sully Sports are based at the old BP Sports Club on the main road, although perennial challengers at the top of the South Wales Senior League a few years ago, often neck and neck with now Welsh League club Bridgend St, they never made the step up to Welsh League level. The defunct club was largely made up of Cardiff based players in their 70s/80s pomp while Sully Sports seemed to have more of a Barry influence, Jimmy Blackie, the former City youth player was involved in their more successful era and the better Barry & District League players followed him to the club from their parks sides.

Thanks for that, I did some research this morning before publication to find out if they were the same club, but didn't really get anywhere because I could only find stuff about Sully Sports. I did discover that they were founded in 1972 and thought they must have shot through the leagues in their early years, but I could remember Sully wore black and white stripes when they played us and the team I watched yesterday wore white and black, so decided to go with what I had written - I'll leave it as it is for now and can mention what you've said if the subject comes up in the Feedback section.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I think it’s a different Sully set up now Paul. The old Welsh League club, Sully, played at the Burnham Avenue ground in the village, their base was the Constitutional Club on the main road for a while, a businessman, Joffrey (can’t for the life of remember his surname) bankrolled them for a while and they did pay players a few bob. Sully Sports are based at the old BP Sports Club on the main road, although perennial challengers at the top of the South Wales Senior League a few years ago, often neck and neck with now Welsh League club Bridgend St, they never made the step up to Welsh League level. The defunct club was largely made up of Cardiff based players in their 70s/80s pomp while Sully Sports seemed to have more of a Barry influence, Jimmy Blackie, the former City youth player was involved in their more successful era and the better Barry & District League players followed him to the club from their parks sides.
    Morning Splott. The Chairman and driving force behind Sully was Max James who get all sorts of big sponsorship for them over the years ending with them becoming Inter CableTel before the money ran out.
    He is now pulling the strings at Pontypridd Town.

Addendum to the 2 pretty accurate posts above.
    (Old)* Sully became Inter Cardiff (league rules forced the name change as they played in Cardiff) upon moving to Lake United's old ground at Cwrt yr Ala ground, Ely which co-incided with the new setup allowing a route into Europe. The rules were pretty strict then but Inter Cardiff later became Inter Cable-Tel.
    I believe funds dried up and they disbanded.

Standard-wise this new Sully set up is light years away from the Burnham Avenue Sully that the City played.
    In fact I would say that the teams in the South Wales Alliance league that Blaenrhonnda and Sully Sports now play in, is on par standard-wise with the parks teams of those days, they just play (mostly) on better pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    (Old)* Sully became Inter Cardiff (league rules forced the name change as they played in Cardiff) upon moving to Lake United's old ground at Cwrt yr Ala ground, Ely which co-incided with the new setup allowing a route into Europe. The rules were pretty strict then but Inter Cardiff later became Inter Cable-Tel.

Standard-wise this new Sully set up is light years away from the Burnham Avenue Sully that the City played.
    In fact I would say that the teams in the South Wales Alliance league that Blaenrhonnda and Sully Sports now play in, is on par standard-wise with the parks teams of those days, they just play (mostly) on better pitches.
    I should have added that the SW Alliance league is a much better set up than the old parks set up that I referred to. It combines the quality sides, and of course players, from all of the local leagues over a much wider area.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

Weren’t Rumney Rangers, the old Combination side, involved the joining together of the clubs that eventually became Inter Cardiff? In the 90s they played over the old athletics stadium where our ground is now. From our vantage point on the Bob Bank corner in those days we could see 3 games being played on times. Inter Cardiff in the distance on the athletics stadium, Ninian Spurs, through the gap between the grandstand & Canton Stand, on Jubilee (Pop Alley) Park and of course the City. As you say, standards have dropped dramatically in lower level local football.

Weren’t Rumney Rangers, the old Combination side, involved the joining together of the clubs that eventually became Inter Cardiff? In the 90s they played over the old athletics stadium where our ground is now. From our vantage point on the Bob Bank corner in those days we could see 3 games being played on times. Inter Cardiff in the distance on the athletics stadium, Ninian Spurs, through the gap between the grandstand & Canton Stand, on Jubilee (Pop Alley) Park and of course the City. As you say, standards have dropped dramatically in lower level local football.
    I must admit I didn't know of the Rumney Rangers involvement but you could be right.

Inter Cardiff did indeed play play on the old Leckwith Stadium, sharing the ground with the also now defunct Grange Quins.

Completely off topic, but wasn't there someone on here a few years back who was demanding the death penalty for anyone who took a short cut through Jubilee Park?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Completely off topic, but wasn't there someone on here a few years back who was demanding the death penalty for anyone who took a short cut through Jubilee Park?

It hasn’t been rescinded apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Morning Splott. The Chairman and driving force behind Sully was Max James who get all sorts of big sponsorship for them over the years ending with them becoming Inter CableTel before the money ran out.
    He is now pulling the strings at Pontypridd Town.
    Max was my table tennis coach in my teenage years and I also was in high school with his son.

Remember back in the 80s when there was six divisions in the district league and 6 in the combination. Pontcanna fields was a sight to behold on a saturday afternoon , every pitch being played on (the best pitches were the ones closest to the river)the horrible smell of liniment or deep heat which did absolutely nothing to keep anyone warm and the noise from the actual players etc, plus the smell of the burger van! The showers were like something from prison. Trelai was the same. It's not like that now.

I think Rumney Rangers were part of the complicated mergers that took place by joining with Lake United who then subsequently became AFC Cardiff who were subsequently taken over by Sully and became Inter Cardiff before changing their name to Inter CableTel but reverted to Inter Cardiff and were then taken over by UWIC to form UWIC Inter Cardiff but then became UWIC but are now Cardiff Met. Simple.
    Seems better without punctuation!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Remember back in the 80s when there was six divisions in the district league and 6 in the combination. Pontcanna fields was a sight to behold on a saturday afternoon , every pitch being played on (the best pitches were the ones closest to the river)the horrible smell of liniment or deep heat which did absolutely nothing to keep anyone warm and the noise from the actual players etc, plus the smell of the burger van! The showers were like something from prison. Trelai was the same. It's not like that now.

I can remember seven divisions in the district, Premier, 1,2,3,4,5 & 6. If your game was off you could still turn up at Pontcanna or The Racecourse (we called Trelai Park the part that was separated from the Racecourse by a fence on the right hand side nearer the school, the district side Trelai played there, very good cup side) and get a game as a strapper for someone who was short. Do you remember the old army huts that served as changing rooms at the Racecourse before the new ones were built? The shower block was in another building and there’d be blokes running back & fore with towels around them in the pissing rain after games. The shell of the old grandstand was in front of the huts. There was a bloke nicknamed the tosser who used to turn up at Pontcanna near the end of games and spend time in the showers clocking everyone, yet nobody challenged him, weird!!! The old changing rooms at Pontcanna were dismal brick huts alongside the long stone wall separating the park from the back lane that ran the length of the fields. The changing rooms at Heath Park were a ‘luxury’ to behold as well, an old derelict house and barn like building, f*cking freezing!!

I think Rumney Rangers were part of the complicated mergers that took place by joining with Lake United who then subsequently became AFC Cardiff who were subsequently taken over by Sully and became Inter Cardiff before changing their name to Inter CableTel but reverted to Inter Cardiff and were then taken over by UWIC to form UWIC Inter Cardiff but then became UWIC but are now Cardiff Met. Simple.
    Seems better without punctuation!

Makes Robert Maxwell’s plans to form Thames Valley Royals quite trivial

I can remember seven divisions in the district, Premier, 1,2,3,4,5 & 6. If your game was off you could still turn up at Pontcanna or The Racecourse (we called Trelai Park the part that was separated from the Racecourse by a fence on the right hand side nearer the school, the district side Trelai played there, very good cup side) and get a game as a strapper for someone who was short. Do you remember the old army huts that served as changing rooms at the Racecourse before the new ones were built? The shower block was in another building and there’d be blokes running back & fore with towels around them in the pissing rain after games. The shell of the old grandstand was in front of the huts. There was a bloke nicknamed the tosser who used to turn up at Pontcanna near the end of games and spend time in the showers clocking everyone, yet nobody challenged him, weird!!! The old changing rooms at Pontcanna were dismal brick huts alongside the long stone wall separating the park from the back lane that ran the length of the fields. The changing rooms at Heath Park were a ‘luxury’ to behold as well, an old derelict house and barn like building, f*cking freezing!!
    were the old changing rooms at The Racecourse fabricated steel? Pontcanna changing rooms were awful, cramped, cold and damp. The pitches weren't much better, i didn't mind playing at caedelyn park as the pitch used to hold up in winter and jubilee park was ok, probably because it was originally a dumping site so the ground is full of ash, The marl was nightmare as the earth there seemed blacker than anywhere else and getting it scrubbed off your knees was a right bugger!

I remember the bloke at Pontcanna. He must have been the cleanest bloke in Cardiff because he hadn't played for anybody but was in the showers for ages!

The Vale of Glamorgan senior league is much the same these days, even in the early 2000's there was four divisions with fourty to fifty teams. Now it's just two divisions with twenty four sides covering a large area from Cogan to Cowbridge. Is this because many people have to work Saturdays or lack of sponsorship? The ten pitches on The Buttrills fields in Barry used to be all in use on a Saturday afternoon now it's just two or three.

I remember the bloke at Pontcanna. He must have been the cleanest bloke in Cardiff because he hadn't played for anybody but was in the showers for ages!
    Also known as Chalky. Seen him (or been seen by him) at various changing rooms in Cardiff. To say he was a bit pervy would be an understatement. It wasn’t just Saturday afternoons he was seeking his thrills. I remember going for a run one midweek lunchtime at Maindy Stadium and when we arrived he was outside the changing room, starkers and soaking wet from the shower, getting dressed, because the stadium staff, who were wise to him, had chucked him out.

were the old changing rooms at The Racecourse fabricated steel? Pontcanna changing rooms were awful, cramped, cold and damp. The pitches weren't much better, i didn't mind playing at caedelyn park as the pitch used to hold up in winter and jubilee park was ok, probably because it was originally a dumping site so the ground is full of ash, The marl was nightmare as the earth there seemed blacker than anywhere else and getting it scrubbed off your knees was a right bugger!

The old Racecourse changing rooms were individual army type huts, awful things looking back but we just got on with it. The clinic side (Splott Albion’s side) of Splott Park was the same as the Marl, like a black ash. The football pitches were only introduced on that side late 60s, it was always St Albans rugby pitch, both school & mens, before their move to Tremorfa Park, the lower part of the posts were painted black & amber. Some of the facilities in those far off days were incredibly bad in hindsight, Bonvilston played on a farmer’s field with a hut in corner with a communal tin bath. (The Pontcanna tosser must have missed out there).