+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Has Rebecca Damaged Labour's Chance Of Having Its First Lady

Has Rebecca Damaged Labour's Chance Of Having Its First Lady

I was hoping that Labour would make a very big change after the last defeat , and get behind a single female candidate , unfortunately the parties divide has once again split the female vote and favoured a white London male ( who I like) if Rebbeca had stood aside and supported Lisa Nandy would that have been the best chance for a female leader and much better opposition to Boris ?

On another note probaly 12 months will gave past since the election defeat god for this leadership process to get done , it will take another age to establish new policy direction , and shadow cabinet placement and then start communicate it and holding government to account .

Local election in England May 17th, another wacking perhaps , and core Labour councils being lost like Sheffield ??

Re: Has Rebecca Damaged Labour's Chance Of Having Its First Lady

I understand the clamour for a woman leader within the labour movement as it is one less stick to be beaten with. The evidence of the country wanting a female leader is scant though, May was a laughing stock, Swinson managed to lose her own seat.

I think just having somebody who at least appears competent is the answer for labour, male or female and I think starmer ticks that box and a few others on top.

Tories won the seats they did in the north with yet another posh boy from Eton so the idea that labour need a northern leader to win the north is probably unfounded (and actually a bit insulting to people in those communities).

The left have abandoned politics in favour of optics, and their supporters are becoming increasngly unreasonable in a cultish sort of way. Now is the time to embrace the middle ground, as we have more in common that what divides us. Labour need to ditch the unstable looney left and move into the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I was hoping that Labour would make a very big change after the last defeat , and get behind a single female candidate , unfortunately the parties divide has once again split the female vote and favoured a white London male ( who I like) if Rebbeca had stood aside and supported Lisa Nandy would that have been the best chance for a female leader and much better opposition to Boris ?

On another note probaly 12 months will gave past since the election defeat god for this leadership process to get done , it will take another age to establish new policy direction , and shadow cabinet placement and then start communicate it and holding government to account .

Local election in England May 17th, another wacking perhaps , and core Labour councils being lost like Sheffield ??
    I may be wrong but I expect (backed by all the polling evidence so far) Rebecca Long-Bailey to get more votes than Lisa Nandy in the leadership election. In which case shouldn't your pitch be that Lisa Nandy is damaging Labour's chances of having it's first woman (lady?) leader - apart from the female interim leaders like Margaret Beckett and Harriet Harman.

But it is a nonsense viewpoint. Apart from gender Long-Bailey and Nandy are chalk and cheese. I know a lot of very active feminist Labour supporters (including members of the Women's Equality Party who campaigned for Labour in my constituency) and none of them want a token woman as leader if she is less capable and less effective than a man.

Harman was a missed chance. I think those who dismiss Nandy are doing her a diservice, yes she young and raw , but she has passion, enthusiasm and isn't tarred by the same brush that Sir Kier is and our Becks . She'd give Boris a hard time as she is grounded and down to earth and ordinary votersike that .

The posh boy from Eton taken the North and seats that had never fallen was down to a poor opposition leader.

How's this all going ,will, a leader be in place before we are all culled