+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sexist ? Yes probably but still peed off

Re: Sexist ? Yes probably but still peed off

What a thread to read on International women’s day!

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    But what would the old men moan about then?!
    I must take exception with you here. I'm 64, so I presume I qualify as old and yet I read this thread last night and thought it was totally barmy.

Hopefully, I'm able to help those who listen to Arsenal games and are not sure if it's the men's or women's side being talked about. If the names being mentioned include these;-

https://www.arsenal.com/men/players

then you are listening to the men's team and if you hear these;-

https://www.arsenal.com/women/players

then it's the women.

As a bonus for you, I'll extend this to Cardiff City, this is the men's squad;-

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/players/594

and this is the women's;-

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/players/718

Perhaps it might be a good idea to tell a relative, friend or neighbour to print off plenty of copies of those pages so that they can attach them to the wall in every room in your house in a position which is well within your eyeline when you are sat in your favourite seat - you know, those ones you won't let anyone else use.

As I've started, I may as well develop this into a full blown rant . Although I was a bit young to truly appreciate what was going on at the time, I'm part of a generation which, like the one which came ahead of us, were preaching peace love and understanding just over fifty years ago - it would be truly fascinating if the means existed to show some of the 1967 versions of those people what they would develop into by 2020.

Let's face it, my generation and the one which preceded it have had it easy all through their lives. Most of us have never known the true hardships that the generations before us had to endure, we've never had to fight in, let alone experience, a major international conflict in which millions died, all but the very oldest of us have had a free National Health Service available for us throughout our lives, we didn't have to take out a loan to get a university education and we didn't have to pay for text books when we were being educated.

Perhaps that explains the entitled attitude which you see manifesting itself in this thread, albeit in a trivial manner, with people whingeing about a website designed for each and everyone of us to use not being designed in the way they want it to! This from a generation of people which includes those who have taken ownership of the word "snowflake" in recent years as a means of denigrating young people for their "unwarranted sense of entitlement" - as a friend of mine who is a fully paid up member of the "entitled" generation is fond of saying, you could not make it up!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I must take exception with you here. I'm 64, so I presume I qualify as old and yet I read this thread last night and thought it was totally barmy.

Hopefully, I'm able to help those who listen to Arsenal games and are not sure if it's the men's or women's side being talked about. If the names being mentioned include these;-

then it's the women.

Perhaps it might be a good idea to tell a relative, friend or neighbour to print off plenty of copies of those pages so that they can attach them to the wall in every room in your house in a position which is well within your eyeline when you are sat in your favourite seat - you know, those ones you won't let anyone else use.

As I've started, I may as well develop this into a full blown rant . Although I was a bit young to truly appreciate what was going on at the time, I'm part of a generation which, like the one which came ahead of us, were preaching peace love and understanding just over fifty years ago - it would be truly fascinating if the means existed to show some of the 1967 versions of those people what they would develop into by 2020.

Let's face it, my generation and the one which preceded it have had it easy all through their lives. Most of us have never known the true hardships that the generations before us had to endure, we've never had to fight in, let alone experience, a major international conflict in which millions died, all but the very oldest of us have had a free National Health Service available for us throughout our lives, we didn't have to take out a loan to get a university education and we didn't have to pay for text books when we were being educated.

Perhaps that explains the entitled attitude which you see manifesting itself in this thread, albeit in a trivial manner, with people whingeing about a website designed for each and everyone of us to use not being designed in the way they want it to! This from a generation of people which includes those who have taken ownership of the word "snowflake" in recent years as a means of denigrating young people for their "unwarranted sense of entitlement" - as a friend of mine who is a fully paid up member of the "entitled" generation is fond of saying, you could not make it up!
    Spot on.

Bob you are a true gent and a good guy. Shame there aren’t more like you about and on this board too.

I can only hope when I’m your age I can be like you and not closed minded like many who post on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Personally I don't give a toss what you think mate. People come on here for a bit of good natured banter. If you don't like the subject matter move on and stop acting like a petulant child. My opinions are my opinions. They're not worth any more or less than yours and I don't pretend they are, so try not to be so condescending and personal.
    You think this is good natured banter? It’s just unabashed whinging for the sake of whinging because something that’s for everyone is catered 100% to you.

If this is what you consider “banter” thank god I don’t have to spend time in your company.

International

then it's the women.

Whilst I agree with the general thrust of what you say I must question your statement about yours and the peceding genration.

I was born just a few years before you, the youngest of 6 children, 3 of which were born before WW2. A generation is generally considered to be every 25 years which would cover anyone born back as far as 1930. I think a very large number of those were involved in a glabal conflict, not least people in the East End of London and the 10s of thousands of children evecuated (Taken from their parents) to 'safe' areas.
    My older siblings watched my father leave home to go and fight and he didn't come back for 4 years.
    The NHS was created only after the war, (God bless Nye).
    Rationing affected everyone in the country and sugar was rationed until 1953 and fresh meat was on rartion until 1954, just about a year before you were born.
    I'm all or a bit of literary licence but come on!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    You think this is good natured banter? It’s just unabashed whinging for the sake of whinging because something that’s for everyone is catered 100% to you.

If this is what you consider “banter” thank god I don’t have to spend time in your company.
    You are priceless my friend !!

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    My first port of call to check out football scores has for many years been the BBC Football website. You know what you're getting: Prem, Scots Prem (yeah I know), Championship, Div 1, Div 2 etc in that order.

So what have these diversity clowns decided to do ? Put Women's International Friendly scores/results and Women's European Qualifying scores before the Championship that's what. I didn't realise that Millwall had beaten Forest away on Friday because I saw these Mickey Mouse (or should that be Minnie Minnie) results first up and assumed there wasn't any EFL games being played.

Why don't they have a separate section for women's football, after all it's not the same game is it ? Rant over.
    Great banter

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Whilst I agree with the general thrust of what you say I must question your statement about yours and the peceding genration.

I was born just a few years before you, the youngest of 6 children, 3 of which were born before WW2. A generation is generally considered to be every 25 years which would cover anyone born back as far as 1930. I think a very large number of those were involved in a glabal conflict, not least people in the East End of London and the 10s of thousands of children evecuated (Taken from their parents) to 'safe' areas.
    My older siblings watched my father leave home to go and fight and he didn't come back for 4 years.
    Rationing affected everyone in the country and sugar was rationed until 1953 and fresh meat was on rartion until 1954, just about a year before you were born.
    Interesting mathematical license. My dad was born in 1947. He's 73. By the time rationing had pretty much stopped, he was 6 or 7. He occasionally talks about how hard things were. Truth is he didn't really know, he'd only heard from others.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post

As my previous post has shown, the question of how long a generation lasts is not one I've ever given a great deal of thought to. I've always assumed it was something like twelve to fifteen years, but having just Googled it, your twenty five years is nearer the mark than my assumption. The point I wanted to make referred in particular to the generation born after the Second World War or maybe from about 1943 who would have no recollection of it - rather than talking about two generations, I'd have been better off just referring to the baby boomer generation I suppose.

As my previous post has shown, the question of how long a generation lasts is not one I've ever given a great deal of thought to. I've always assumed it was something like twelve to fifteen years, but having just Googled it, your twenty five years is nearer the mark than my assumption. The point I wanted to make referred in particular to the generation born after the Second World War or maybe from about 1943 who would have no recollection of it - rather than talking about two generations, I'd have been better off just referring to the baby boomer generation I suppose.
    You seriously thought a generation was twelve to fifteen years?
    I thought it was for pissing 'til I was twenty!

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I use the fotmob app its brilliant .
    Great app, now I can see exactly what I want to see, which is what technology should be all about.

then it's the women.

Bang on (and I apologise to you about my general "old men" comment )

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Great app, now I can see exactly what I want to see, which is what technology should be all about.
    You can do that in the bbc sport app and website too no?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/my-sport

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    You can do that in the bbc sport app and website too no?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/my-sport
    I would imagine everything has to be signed off by the BBC diversity department?

I would imagine everything has to be signed off by the BBC diversity department?
    Boring gimp

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Boring gimp
    I've got nothing against womens football, I just don't want to read about it along with League 1, 2, Scottish, French, and non-league football. Also if want diversity training I can just take a course at a local college, I don't need a football website for that.

Help I'm a grown man who has a tantrum about any change that effects me in the most trivial way imaginable, yet somehow thinks that younger generations are overly sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    More fool you if you go along with it.

More fool you if you go along with it.
    Really, what are the consequences from there being stories available on football websites about women's sport?

Really, what are the consequences from there being stories available on football websites about women's sport?
    Wasted time and energy reading it.

Wasted time and energy reading it.
    Personally I think the zero stories I've accidentally read that I didn't want to is a pretty small price to pay for better awareness in women's sport.

Personally I think the zero stories I've accidentally read that I didn't want to is a pretty small price to pay for better awareness in women's sport.
    Like I said I am only interested in 5 leagues and I don't care about the rest, whether they are mens or womens leagues.

Like I said I am only interested in 5 leagues and I don't care about the rest, whether they are mens or womens leagues.
    So how many stories have you accidentally read?

So how many stories have you accidentally read?
    You're a weirdo