+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 350 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Was Penarth Wetherspooning by 9am this morning. Lots of glum looking faces on view. Yet to see anyone not on the telly wearing a mask.
    I know someone who was in Dublin yesterday and in a pub , no real sign of the alleged lock down ,quiet yes , but folk about , if the UK actually try's to lock down how is that actually deployed for 60 million and does that just delay the virus hitting us later and spreading as we start re appear ,what a dilemma ?

On a personal note go no one form the immediate family or friends with this virus ( yes ), phew colds about .

Very elderly lady across the road is self isolating to keep folk away , all I can do for her is tap the door leave and drop something outside the door , messaged another elderly neighbor asking if she wants anything , that is all I can do ,feel bloody useless .

Incubation period is about 14 days so people could show no symptoms and still be a carrier. Be careful everyone

South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha explaining her country's approach to responding to the disease involved openness and transparency on Marr this morning. We have just voted in a government who went out of their way to misinform and avoid scrutiny.

After a confusing 48 hours Health Secretary @MattHancock attempts to reassure the country that the government “has a plan to protect life & to protect the NHS.” He’s not helped by the fact key announcements are being made in unaccountable anonymous briefings to journalists - Nick Robinson, BBC (https://twitter.com/bbcnickrobinson/...30756263424000)

I have a feeling the 'strict' self-isolation for elderly/vulnerable will be framed around a 'threat' to get people to comply - in short that they won't be guaranteed treatment if they catch it. Now, we all know if we end up in the shitstorm Italy are in then difficult decisions need to be made about who to treat but we are not there and this kind of approach could prove the straw that ****s the entire country off.

looks like car manufacturers , weapon manufacturers i would guess aerospace in this country will be switching to producing ventilators soon under measures being drawn up by the government in the coming weeks .isolation for under 70's soon too

i,m currently involved in setting up production lines in that field so guess my role is going to change very soon !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51895873

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I have a feeling the 'strict' self-isolation for elderly/vulnerable will be framed around a 'threat' to get people to comply - in short that they won't be guaranteed treatment if they catch it. Now, we all know if we end up in the shitstorm Italy are in then difficult decisions need to be made about who to treat but we are not there and this kind of approach could prove the straw that ****s the entire country off.
    There's absolutely no way any western govt - except perhaps Germany - is going to be able to enforce these measures for any length of time. Everyone's saying we should do this, do that, etc., but give it a week at most and people will just say 'sod it'. It's a bit like New Year resolutions - full of good intentions to begin with but soon taper off ...

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    There's absolutely no way any western govt - except perhaps Germany - is going to be able to enforce these measures for any length of time. Everyone's saying we should do this, do that, etc., but give it a week at most and people will just say 'sod it'. It's a bit like New Year resolutions - full of good intentions to begin with but soon taper off ...
    It depends how bad things get i suppose. Ireland have closed all schools i believe, what evidence that is based on i don't know. I'm edging towards keeping things as normal as possible while being sensible. Normality can be predicted and allowed for, sweeping changes can't be predicted by scientists and medical bods. Just be sensible and try not to overload on to much media hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It depends how bad things get i suppose. Ireland have closed all schools i believe, what evidence that is based on i don't know. I'm edging towards keeping things as normal as possible while being sensible. Normality can be predicted and allowed for, sweeping changes can't be predicted by scientists and medical bods. Just be sensible and try not to overload on to much media hype.
    I don’t quite get why Ireland shut schools either, it’s one of the reasons it got so bad for the elderly in Italy as it’s the grandparents that look after the kids. Normal People aren’t going to just stop work unless the government agree to pay their bills and mortgages and we all know that won’t happen. Kids not in school, who will look after them? A good few I know my kids age are nurses and Gp’s......

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Im not sure it is media hype if you’re over 70 or have any sort of under lying condition.

Schools are being closed because kids are carriers of the disease but don’t get affected that badly by the symptoms in lots of cases. So quite likely to infect parents and grandparents.

Seriously if you are over 70 or have any sort of breathing related illness I’d be staying away from other people for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I don’t quite get why Ireland shut schools either, it’s one of the reasons it got so bad for the elderly in Italy as it’s the grandparents that look after the kids. Normal People aren’t going to just stop work unless the government agree to pay their bills and mortgages and we all know that won’t happen. Kids not in school, who will look after them? A good few I know my kids age are nurses and Gp’s......
    People will be working from home unless it’s not possible soon. I’m London based and we have already been told to work from home until told otherwise.

I imagine if things get any worse this will start happening with more companies pretty soon.

Well the schools and colleges are shut for 2/3 weeks now for Easter anyway, maybe add a week and go lockdown? It can’t exist after 2 or 3 weeks can it?

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    looks like car manufacturers , weapon manufacturers i would guess aerospace in this country will be switching to producing ventilators soon under measures being drawn up by the government in the coming weeks .isolation for under 70's soon too

i,m currently involved in setting up production lines in that field so guess my role is going to change very soon !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51895873

Swords into ploughshares? We might see some massive shifts in the global economy and culture as a result of this pandemic.

Arms manufacturers switching to medical equipment, carbon footprint way down through reduced travel and some factory closures, a new emphasis on communal care for the elderly and vulnerable, the neoliberal economic model shredded and people all around the world singing opera or pop songs to their neighbours from balconies or backyards (although that bit gets difficult in a barrio or slum township).

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Swords into ploughshares? We might see some massive shifts in the global economy and culture as a result of this pandemic.

Arms manufacturers switching to medical equipment, carbon footprint way down through reduced travel and some factory closures, a new emphasis on communal care for the elderly and vulnerable, the neoliberal economic model shredded and people all around the world singing opera or pop songs to their neighbours from balconies or backyards (although that bit gets difficult in a barrio or slum township).
    I work in medical devices, and the whole idea is fantasy. I can't see it happening in time to have any effect

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-51901372

Is anyone still saying that this is a normal flu?

It'll be interesting to see the effects of much reduced air travel on co2 levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-51901372

Is anyone still saying that this is a normal flu?
    It's far less deadly than normal flu, believe it or not. 18,000 US citizens had died of flu this winter up until March 5th, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which is a US government agency. Meanwhile the total number of coronavirus deaths worldwide is at 6,500.

The flu has killed far more people than coronavirus. So why all the frenzy about COVID-19?

An estimated 32 million Americans have come down with influenza since this year’s flu season began in late September, resulting in about 18,000 deaths, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

More: https://www.latimes.com/science/stor...virus-covid-19

It's far less deadly than normal flu, believe it or not. 18,000 US citizens had died of flu this winter up until March 5th, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which is a US government agency. Meanwhile the total number of coronavirus deaths worldwide is at 6,500.

The flu has killed far more people than coronavirus. So why all the frenzy about COVID-19?

An estimated 32 million Americans have come down with influenza since this year’s flu season began in late September, resulting in about 18,000 deaths, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

18 thousand out of 32 million cases. And you're saying it's more deadly than the coronavirus.

By the way. Read past the first handful paragraphs of your linked article.

Well, I don't need a calculator to deduce that 18,000 in one country with 5% of the world's population is an awful lot more than 6,500 in the entire world. This coronavirus is so mild for so many who are infected that they were never tested and so those umpteen millions would dramatically reduce the mortality rate.

What is really extraordinary is the non-stop overblown hype and countries choosing to take a wrecking ball to their own economies.

Well, I don't need a calculator to deduce that 18,000 in one country with 5% of the world's population is an awful lot more than 6,500 in the entire world. This coronavirus is so mild for so many who are infected that they were never tested and so those umpteen millions would dramatically reduce the mortality rate.

What is really extraordinary is the non-stop overblown hype and countries choosing to take a wrecking ball to their own economies.
    So, would you self isolate?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So, would you self isolate?
    Sure I would. The one time I had flu, which was a long time ago, I didn't have the strength to climb out of bed for 10 days.

You're right that we don't know the true number of cases, although this is not because they all had it so mild they didn't bother being tested. If the virus is in "umpteen millions" as you predict in a matter of weeks then that surely suggests something very serious.

I guess we're left with two options. Either countries everywhere are taking a wrecking ball to their economies for no good reason, or Organ Morgan on ccmb is wrong.

Place your bets folks.

Sure I would. The one time I had flu, which was a long time ago, I didn't have the strength to climb out of bed for 10 days.
    Self isolate is not the same as being very ill.

Again with this? It is 20x more deadly than flu but less people have contracted it.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    You're right that we don't know the true number of cases, although this is not because they all had it so mild they didn't bother being tested. If the virus is in "umpteen millions" as you predict in a matter of weeks then that surely suggests something very serious.

I guess we're left with two options. Either countries everywhere are taking a wrecking ball to their economies for no good reason, or Organ Morgan on ccmb is wrong.

Place your bets folks.
    Whether my hypothesis is right or wrong is moot because the result will be identical as economic pain on steroids cometh.

Organ, you can spend the time speculating on what kind of job I have because I'm so stupid (pizza delivery or work in an office http://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.php...=1#post5056369 ) but the truth is that people with your attitude will cause the deaths of others. I know you won't accept it, but it is true.