+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 350 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

This is all completely crazy isn't it? I have been told not to come in to work tomorrow, and I imagine it will be months not weeks before we go back.

Meantime, collective idiocy and greed causes people to over-buy everything putting strain on supermarkets, while almost all of the rest of retail, restaurants, pubs and entertainment has in a matter of weeks taken a very sharp lurch towards insolvency. Airlines won't survive, nor will a lot of tour operators. Stock markets are falling in a manner rarely seen before.

And - statistically speaking - nothing has even happened yet. 1 in 44,000 people in the UK is known to have it. It is obviously awful that some people have died and more are ill, and I am not downplaying the extent of the threat to human life- clearly exponential growth will sythe that fraction down to the point where most of us have it in a matter of weeks. This isn't a criticism of any government, or global response. If anything it says a lot about the connectedness of the world now, not just that something like the virus can spread so fast and so absolutely, but also that the knowledge and fear of it can do the same and cause entire continents to effectively close for business, and with no end in sight. This whole thing is absolutely surreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    This is all completely crazy isn't it? I have been told not to come in to work tomorrow, and I imagine it will be months not weeks before we go back.
    My work involves research into healthcare organisations - we've been told today that it's clear that there will be major restrictions until the end of 2020 and possibly until March/April 2021...

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    My dad’s funeral tomorrow. We have had to cancel the wake in the local pub. I never thought it would come to this. This has been a dreadful year and it’s still only March.
    Really sorry to hear this. I hope it goes as well as it can tomorrow.

This isn't a criticism of any government, or global response. If anything it says a lot about the connectedness of the world now, not just that something like the virus can spread so fast and so absolutely, but also that the knowledge and fear of it can do the same and cause entire continents to effectively close for business, and with no end in sight. This whole thing is absolutely surreal.
    Was listening to an expert called Michael Osterholm who reckoned we could've been better prepared after SARS and MERS, but once it was over everyone moved on and didn't think of the next time. He didn't go into detail about what that would entail but given his background I assume he'd have some procedures up his sleeve for a faster response. This already seems like the big boot up the arse we sadly often need.

Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot View Post
    My work involves research into healthcare organisations - we've been told today that it's clear that there will be major restrictions until the end of 2020 and possibly until March/April 2021...
    Thanks for the insight. However, depending on the level of restriction - it seems unlikely that it could be enforceable for that long doesn't it? People won't be that selfless for that long. Everyone knows that panic buying is going to worsen things, but the supermarkets are full of selfish dickheads buying sacks of pasta, and this is while everything is still functioning as normal. I like to think I am a good guy, but 12 months effectively imprisoned in my own home? I'm not sure I could take that. But then the entire plan is to lengthen it so that it's manageable, so I am sure you are right.

The world needs a pause button if we are all electing to stop economic activity for 12 months though. This would be impossible to implement for about a gazillion reasons, but we would need to freeze interest on all debt; freeze rent and mortgage payments. Keep vital public services going, and allow private sector to choose between fighting on, or shutting up shop for a year with guaranteed return to work rights for employees and contractors, who in the meantime work for the public sector on fixed pay doing whatever it is that needs doing so we can all go back to normal (or perhaps a slightly more cooperative social version of normal). It would be more complex than Brexit and feel a lot like war. But the alternative would be what? How many businesses or people can survive a year of nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by stevebrickman View Post
    Well, about 10k Jocks coming down and boozing all weekend wouldn’t have helped.
    Good point....and 30,000 Welsh in London for the rugby as well. Notice that the highest incidence in Wales is in Swansea....a strong area for rugby supporters...coincidence or what?

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Good point....and 30,000 Welsh in London for the rugby as well. Notice that the highest incidence in Wales is in Swansea....a strong area for rugby supporters...coincidence or what?
    Probably, yes

Thanks for the insight. However, depending on the level of restriction - it seems unlikely that it could be enforceable for that long doesn't it? People won't be that selfless for that long. Everyone knows that panic buying is going to worsen things, but the supermarkets are full of selfish dickheads buying sacks of pasta, and this is while everything is still functioning as normal. I like to think I am a good guy, but 12 months effectively imprisoned in my own home? I'm not sure I could take that. But then the entire plan is to lengthen it so that it's manageable, so I am sure you are right.

The world needs a pause button if we are all electing to stop economic activity for 12 months though. This would be impossible to implement for about a gazillion reasons, but we would need to freeze interest on all debt; freeze rent and mortgage payments. Keep vital public services going, and allow private sector to choose between fighting on, or shutting up shop for a year with guaranteed return to work rights for employees and contractors, who in the meantime work for the public sector on fixed pay doing whatever it is that needs doing so we can all go back to normal (or perhaps a slightly more cooperative social version of normal). It would be more complex than Brexit and feel a lot like war. But the alternative would be what? How many businesses or people can survive a year of nothing?
    Everything - and I mean literally everything to with a Nation's fiscal balance sheet which includes taxation, employment, all business whatever size - is critically dependent on it's citizens spending money on goods and services. I'm not an economist but I can well believe a month's inactivity will render 50% of UK business in dire straights, and 50% closed down. Extrapolate that to '14 weeks', and there will be very little left of our - or any- western economy. In addidtion the Govt. will need to put close to a £trillion into the economy, social care/services/relief payments etc., whilst losing a massive chunk of it's income from taxation and corporation taxes etc. Coupled with the fact that businesses trying to borrow to stay afloat won't get anything from the Banks, and larger, stock quoted businesses will be so worthless based on share price that they will also find it difficult. And let's not get started on the Banks themsleves.

Last night I looked at Boris as he delivered his update. He didn't looked worried - he looked scared..

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    totally agree in terms of time we need to cut corners but I,m sure Bojo and his advisers are working on that right now cutting through the red tape of regulations in these serious times . We were looking at medical device products today at lunchtime and looking at the products we think the automotive companys would be best to use for assembly . they have some very clever Manufacturing Engineers both in manual and automated processes . I notice the Vauxhall factories are shutting temporary today for a month or two . won't be a problem finding the people with the right skills that's for sure
    "in the national interest". believe it or not the Govt. can do pretty much what it wants to do with this phrase - even just walk in and commandeer a business for its own use

Apparently the government advisors realized that the course of action the government had been taking would lead to 250000 deaths in the UK. And intensive care units being 8x over capacity for the next 12 months.

Could someone go and tell them to stop worrying because organ Morgan said it's all ok and less dangerous than the normal flu.

Quote Originally Posted by stevebrickman View Post
    Well, about 10k Jocks coming down and boozing all weekend wouldn’t have helped.
    Neither would the couple of thousand Stereophonics revellers!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Apparently the government advisors realized that the course of action the government had been taking would lead to 250000 deaths in the UK. And intensive care units being 8x over capacity for the next 12 months.

Could someone go and tell them to stop worrying because organ Morgan said it's all ok and less dangerous than the normal flu.
    How did you know that ? The Govt. advisors haven't been privately in touch with me ..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    How did you know that ? The Govt. advisors haven't been privately in touch with me ..
    It has been widely reported.

Are you still refusing to accept that this virus has killed people?

IMG_20200317_092138.jpg

The red line is the intensive care capacity in the UK

I don't know why we didn't all get imposed self isolation a month ago, short term pain for long term gain.

It's going to be like this for 3 months now I'd say, especially because for some reason schools are still open.

The effect on the economy is going to be huge, I can't imagine how most businesses are going to survive this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Probably, yes

Pretty 100% anti- govt. articles as far back as you can go.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...16-03-2020.pdf

This is the report linked in the article. It is all in there

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I don't know why we didn't all get imposed self isolation a month ago, short term pain for long term gain.

It's going to be like this for 3 months now I'd say, especially because for some reason schools are still open.

The effect on the economy is going to be huge, I can't imagine how most businesses are going to survive this.
    The report suggests a lot longer than that

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

Maybe yes, but balanced against how many people back then thought it was a fuss over nothing (let alone now) it would never have worked.

never mind quarantine they will have riots on there hands next...

im already an out of work nightclub dj... club has not yet officially announced it will close but with no help from gov regarding health or police care... how can they guarantee your safety so... public liability insurance will be void and without that you cant hold a mass gathering in a venue... so thats me out of work already

my mrs is out of work at the end of the week... her store she works in has done there own forecast model and will be shutting up shop laying everyone off... yes she will get a little payout but it will amount to around £500 which wont buy a few packs a bog roll at this rate... so in a matter of days we are both out of work... yeah i know millions if not billions worldwide will soon be too

but its all bonkers... folks cant go to bars clubs theatre but my kids can go to school on stinking buses and mix with 1,500 other kids plus teachers and parents... ???
    cant go to the pub where there a few people but can go to school... ok

flybe went into admin like a day into this drama... ok give or so a few days and they were already in deep trouble but a day... back when we were all laughing this off for flu... aviation has been hit hard obviously, grounding fleets of planes laying off thousands of staff... but before they announced border cut offs and incoming flights from other countries ??? ok

folks will be destitute and will riot and loot what ever the stores have left...im sure of it

how is all this happening righ now

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
    never mind quarantine they will have riots on there hands next...

im already an out of work nightclub dj... club has not yet officially announced it will close but with no help from gov regarding health or police care... how can they guarantee your safety so... public liability insurance will be void and without that you cant hold a mass gathering in a venue... so thats me out of work already

my mrs is out of work at the end of the week... her store she works in has done there own forecast model and will be shutting up shop laying everyone off... yes she will get a little payout but it will amount to around £500 which wont buy a few packs a bog roll at this rate... so in a matter of days we are both out of work... yeah i know millions if not billions worldwide will soon be too

but its all bonkers... folks cant go to bars clubs theatre but my kids can go to school on stinking buses and mix with 1,500 other kids plus teachers and parents... ???
    cant go to the pub where there a few people but can go to school... ok

flybe went into admin like a day into this drama... ok give or so a few days and they were already in deep trouble but a day... back when we were all laughing this off for flu... aviation has been hit hard obviously, grounding fleets of planes laying off thousands of staff... but before they announced border cut offs and incoming flights from other countries ??? ok

folks will be destitute and will riot and loot what ever the stores have left...im sure of it

how is all this happening righ now
    Sorry to hear all that. Yeah a lot of people are going to be in trouble. Things won't ever be the same after this.

Are you for real?

Imagine firstly trying to make this a partisan issue, then once you’ve done that trying to defend the current governments slow reaction to this even in the face of all the evidence.