+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 32 of 350 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637383940414282132 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I was reading recently about how we process information and make decisions. In essence, we often jump to uninformed, instinctive initial opinions and beliefs about something and then set about filtering-out and dismissing any information that contradicts this belief whilst gathering anything that appears to support it.

We don’t actually use reasoning a lot of the time we just invent arguments to support out intuitive beliefs. It’s due to the way our brains have evolved into areas that manage automatic and controlled thought processes, which are sometimes in conflict.

So it’s really just the way we are and we often don’t realise we’re doing it but it can be observed. It’s probably why you very rarely see people acknowledging they’ve shifted their views in these discussions and why we get so frustrated with others who just can’t see our own point of view. This isn’t just some people, we all have this tendency. So basically we’re wasting our time here
    That's how religion exists. Indoctrinate someone at an early age and they can happily dismiss science where it is convenient and put their beliefs in deities for which there is no evidence and which came about when mankind didn't know about evolution, microbes, electricity, atoms and a million other things. They see no dichotomy between having advanced medical treatment and praying to their god to allow them to survive. The same god let it happen to them in the first place. I remember seeing a little old lady on TV who survived an earthquake and she said that she thanked 'God' for her survival. Sadly and ironically, many other people (most of them far younger) perished who her god deigned not to spare.
    No god seems to have made an appearance during the Holocaust or during devastating events such as the Bubonic Plague or to put a stop to wars that have killed millions of people. In the case of the Abrahamist god perhaps he is waiting for a leper to come along.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I was reading recently about how we process information and make decisions. In essence, we often jump to uninformed, instinctive initial opinions and beliefs about something and then set about filtering-out and dismissing any information that contradicts this belief whilst gathering anything that appears to support it.

We don’t actually use reasoning a lot of the time we just invent arguments to support out intuitive beliefs. It’s due to the way our brains have evolved into areas that manage automatic and controlled thought processes, which are sometimes in conflict.

So it’s really just the way we are and we often don’t realise we’re doing it but it can be observed. It’s probably why you very rarely see people acknowledging they’ve shifted their views in these discussions and why we get so frustrated with others who just can’t see our own point of view. This isn’t just some people, we all have this tendency. So basically we’re wasting our time here
    When I first heard about it I was convinced it was nothing more than flu and it took until everything started happening in Italy before I reconsidered that. So this definitely happenes, and we are definitely all guilty of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    When I first heard about it I was convinced it was nothing more than flu and it took until everything started happening in Italy before I reconsidered that. So this definitely happenes, and we are definitely all guilty of it.
    Out of interest, was that view shaped by the initial claims about the nature of the virus, ie China's insistence it couldn't be spread person to person?

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    Out of interest, was that view shaped by the initial claims about the nature of the virus, ie China's insistence it couldn't be spread person to person?
    Just from the death rate and the symptoms, it seemed to be killing only old people at a lower rate than normal flu.

I thought the lockdowns were an over reaction and something that could only happen in China.

Couldn't have been more wrong on both counts.

I didn't read anything about it not being able to spread, all I can remember is the mad masks they were making because masks had ran out straight away.

Dominic Cummings is suspected to have it now.

Just from the death rate and the symptoms, it seemed to be killing only old people at a lower rate than normal flu.

I thought the lockdowns were an over reaction and something that could only happen in China.

Couldn't have been more wrong on both counts.

I didn't read anything about it not being able to spread, all I can remember is the mad masks they were making because masks had ran out straight away.
    For me, this virus is much like HIV / AIDS to a degree. You don't die from it, but from the weakened immune system that occurs. That's why elderly, those with underlying symptoms are very much being hit by this.

I also personally think that WHO, governments were caught on the hop by this - having been told no person to person infection was possible, WHO advice back in Jan is very much different to that now.

I do love people thinking a Burberry scarf will prevent it...

China should not escape any consequences for their mishandling on this. Sadly they will - should be made a pariah economically and trade wise.

I agree there should be sanctions on China but there never will.

More "healthy" people seem to be dying now which is worrying.

The main issue is how contangeous it actually is, if there were an infinite amount of ventilators and beds it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

I agree there should be sanctions on China but there never will.

More "healthy" people seem to be dying now which is worrying.

The main issue is how contangeous it actually is, if there were an infinite amount of ventilators and beds it wouldn't be as much of an issue.
    Well. there are "healthy" people who have underlying medical conditions they never know about. It certainly seems those are very much in the minority.

Contagion levels aren't necessarily a problem. A virus causing a bad cold may be contagious but with low "payload", for example; yes, can trigger asthma and other things...

Mercedes F1 and medical colleges have been working on some systems which would mean ventilators can be reserved for the most serious cases only.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    That's how religion exists. Indoctrinate someone at an early age and they can happily dismiss science where it is convenient and put their beliefs in deities for which there is no evidence and which came about when mankind didn't know about evolution, microbes, electricity, atoms and a million other things. They see no dichotomy between having advanced medical treatment and praying to their god to allow them to survive. The same god let it happen to them in the first place. I remember seeing a little old lady on TV who survived an earthquake and she said that she thanked 'God' for her survival. Sadly and ironically, many other people (most of them far younger) perished who her god deigned not to spare.
    No god seems to have made an appearance during the Holocaust or during devastating events such as the Bubonic Plague or to put a stop to wars that have killed millions of people. In the case of the Abrahamist god perhaps he is waiting for a leper to come along.
    I don't want a ramble about religion (Honest) but when horrific things happen like the awful things you have mentioned, then some people who are religious accept it as gods will, it was a test to see how committed they are and how humanity bounces back. If some people survive who have gone through the experience then it is to make them stronger and to work even harder for it not to happen again ( I know!) basically, everything for a reason, God is on a winner with some people, he places his bet and whatever the outcome he wins (with some) It has to be said though, most people who believe in god don't have this mindset. If a person is very poor with zero education and living in appalling conditions, then god is all they've got, thankfully, most of us don't live like that. I suppose that's why we don't see the people of Bewdley after their annual flooding building shrines outside the local Co-op.

Well. there are "healthy" people who have underlying medical conditions they never know about. It certainly seems those are very much in the minority.

Contagion levels aren't necessarily a problem. A virus causing a bad cold may be contagious but with low "payload", for example; yes, can trigger asthma and other things...

Mercedes F1 and medical colleges have been working on some systems which would mean ventilators can be reserved for the most serious cases only.
    Great news about Mercedes F1 being involved. Apparently they can install the new machines in less than 7 seconds.

Everyone to receive a letter directly from the Prime minister. Imagine the positive impact that could have happened if it was written about social distancing and received on March the 3rd rather than Boris using that day to tell us about shaking hands in the hospital he visited.

And the advice from the CMO at that time was what, precisely? Everyone is an expert with hindsight...

https://twitter.com/LawDavF/status/1243607117552115712

The problem with this is it is ridiculously contageous though and then relatively high number need hospital treatment. That's why social disctancing is so important.

The problem with this is it is ridiculously contageous though and then relatively high number need hospital treatment. That's why social disctancing is so important.
    When playing Plague Inc I always make my viruses transmit like crazy with little to no symptoms... then ramp it up. That and start in Greenland, always start in Greenland as it's a bugger to get into later on.

The UCl/Mercedes stuff sounds like ventilator requirements should be alleviated a far bit.

When playing Plague Inc I always make my viruses transmit like crazy with little to no symptoms... then ramp it up. That and start in Greenland, always start in Greenland as it's a bugger to get into later on.

The UCl/Mercedes stuff sounds like ventilator requirements should be alleviated a far bit.
    Same with Madagascar, loved that game

And the advice from the CMO at that time was what, precisely? Everyone is an expert with hindsight...

https://twitter.com/LawDavF/status/1243607117552115712
    He posts some interesting stuff, but I have to say armchair experts on the worst, especially those heavily afflicted with confirmation bias!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    but I have to say armchair experts on the worst, especially those heavily afflicted with confirmation bias!
    This post was made with zero sense of irony or self awareness

One day Taunton Blue Genie you may come to realise that the things you write about are not of God's making but of man's. The Holocaust, plague, caronavirus....and to cap it, now that China is getting over it ,the very live animal markets that started the pandemic are up and running again.

God help us, because we can't seem to help ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    One day Taunton Blue Genie you may come to realise that the things you write about are not of God's making but of man's. The Holocaust, plague, caronavirus....and to cap it, now that China is getting over it ,the very live animal markets that started the pandemic are up and running again.

So your god isn’t omnipotent then?

As there is absolutely no evidence of deities existing I had sort of worked that out

So your god isn’t omnipotent then?
    Your view not mine. However, the world is full of choices and God has given us the freedom to choose..and be responsible for the consequences.
    I do believe that in all things God works for the good of mankind and those who love him. Right now maybe, just maybe, some of us will take this pandemic as a wakeup call as to how we are treating our world. It's more than coincidence that since various countries lockdowns, pollution has decreased, the canals in Venice are clear again, etc
    The realisation that the Chinese are back to selling wild animals at markets again indicates that we will learn nothing from this whole episode.

As there is absolutely no evidence of deities existing I had sort of worked that out

Well stop blaming the very God you don't believe in for it all then

Your view not mine. However, the world is full of choices and God has given us the freedom to choose..and be responsible for the consequences.
    I do believe that in all things God works for the good of mankind and those who love him. Right now maybe, just maybe, some of us will take this pandemic as a wakeup call as to how we are treating our world. It's more than coincidence that since various countries lockdowns, pollution has decreased, the canals in Venice are clear again, etc
    The realisation that the Chinese are back to selling wild animals at markets again indicates that we will learn nothing from this whole episode.
    So all the hunting mentioned in the bible was of domesticated animals?

Either he’s caused the virus or he’s not omnipotent.

What about kids being born with aids?

Yeah it’s more than coincidence everyone staying inside is exactly why all that is happening