+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 76 of 350 FirstFirst ... 26666768697071727374757677787980818283848586126176 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 8745

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    I'm originally from the other side of Craig y Llyn.
    So, not too far from Rhigos then? Sounds like about ten miles from me.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So, not too far from Rhigos then? Sounds like about ten miles from me.
    Yes Glynneath

That sounds like great news.
    Incredible news.....how’s it not out there yet with our over zealous doom media? Too much of a good news thing maybe?

International

Presumably it can be given to sufferers. Good news. Another metion in there caught my attention, the comment about plasma. We heard a lot about the use of recovered peoples blood being used to treat people in hospital but nothing since in mainstream. Has anyone seen anything reported on its progress?

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    This article is from before the MP spoke: 99% of Those Who Died From Virus Had Other Illness, Italy Says https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ess-italy-says

The MP was stating that over 96% of Italy's COVID dead died with it and not of it, I.e. they tested positive for COVID-19 but it was incidental to what killed them.
    They all actually died of not enough oxygen.

“The progressive daily Ethnos described Johnson as “more dangerous than coronavirus”, saying one of the crisis’s greatest tragedies was that “incompetent leaders” such as Johnson and Donald Trump were “at the helm at a time of such emergency”.

Hard to disagree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    “The progressive daily Ethnos described Johnson as “more dangerous than coronavirus”, saying one of the crisis’s greatest tragedies was that “incompetent leaders” such as Johnson and Donald Trump were “at the helm at a time of such emergency”.

Hard to disagree with that.
    Really ? Why are the Italians so smug - they're death rate is higher than the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Really ? Why are the Italians so smug - they're death rate is higher than the UK.
    “The progressive daily Ethnos” hails from Greece butty

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    “The progressive daily Ethnos” hails from Greece butty
    Prefer a chip butty

UK government set 20,000 as benchmark figure for "good result". We're sadly past that by 10,000 recorded and could be more than double when counting stops.

Meanwhile, brief test and trace strategy of mid-March stopped due to lack of capacity to test; capacity now increased and yet testing numbers (by government's definition) decreasing since headlines made at end of April/start of May. Next target is to increase lab processing of tests, another small step in right direction, but anyone saying this is "apparent success" should be asked why, despite having more notice than most that this was coming, we started from nothing and increased so slowly so now are playing catch-up while thousands die. Clue: it's not what the science said.

Excess death rate figures knocking about:-

England 44.1
    Spain 34.74
    Belgium 29.38
    Netherlands 24.07
    Italy 22.74
    France 21.75
    Wales 19.25
    Scotland 17.25
    Sweden 14.50

It's too shocking for words.

Banned

Over 6,000 new cases, and the death rate passes 30,000.

The number of case are, at best, plateauing. It doesn't seem advisable to remove restrictions at the moment. In America, cases seem to be rising still. I suspect both Trump and Johnson will lift restrictions (Trump almost entirely, Johnson in stages), and I have no confidence that a second wave will be avoided. Let's wait and see what theys actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    UK government set 20,000 as benchmark figure for "good result". We're sadly past that by 10,000 recorded and could be more than double when counting stops.

Meanwhile, brief test and trace strategy of mid-March stopped due to lack of capacity to test; capacity now increased and yet testing numbers (by government's definition) decreasing since headlines made at end of April/start of May. Next target is to increase lab processing of tests, another small step in right direction, but anyone saying this is "apparent success" should be asked why, despite having more notice than most that this was coming, we started from nothing and increased so slowly so now are playing catch-up while thousands die. Clue: it's not what the science said.
    The likelihood is it already over 40,000 now

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    Excess death rate figures knocking about:-

England 44.1
    Spain 34.74
    Belgium 29.38
    Netherlands 24.07
    Italy 22.74
    France 21.75
    Wales 19.25
    Scotland 17.25
    Sweden 14.50

It's too shocking for words.
    Are these the current figures for excess mortality that the government says will eventually be used to compare the impact more accurately across countries?

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Over 6,000 new cases, and the death rate passes 30,000.

The number of case are, at best, plateauing. It doesn't seem advisable to remove restrictions at the moment. In America, cases seem to be rising still. I suspect both Trump and Johnson will lift restrictions (Trump almost entirely, Johnson in stages), and I have no confidence that a second wave will be avoided. Let's wait and see what theys actually do.
    The main concentration will be on the dropping testing figures I suspect, but unless today's new cases figure is a one off, that's a concern - we'll be getting that second wave if new cases stays at 6,000 for a week or so.

International

The main concentration will be on the dropping testing figures I suspect, but unless today's new cases figure is a one off, that's a concern - we'll be getting that second wave if new cases stays at 6,000 for a week or so.
    the point of the increase in detected caes is that if there is more etsting you will find more people infected. But increase testing doesn't put more people in hospital, those sick enough to be hospitalised would be anyway, and those who die would have anyway.
    The higher tsting may show a higher percebtage of the opulatin contaminated but by the same token showe that a smaller proportin of the people with it are actually dying.
    It doesn't change the death figures but it does inform scientists regarding percentages contaminatec and not getting a serious dose, which may inform lockdown easing decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Are these the current figures for excess mortality that the government says will eventually be used to compare the impact more accurately across countries?
    No idea Baloo.

The UK had 43,000 excess deaths for March and April. In other words 43,000 more deaths than would be expected for these months. Well above any other European country. This Government should be hammered for this especially the way Care Homes have been treated with complete disregard.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    the point of the increase in detected caes is that if there is more etsting you will find more people infected. But increase testing doesn't put more people in hospital, those sick enough to be hospitalised would be anyway, and those who die would have anyway.
    The higher tsting may show a higher percebtage of the opulatin contaminated but by the same token showe that a smaller proportin of the people with it are actually dying.
    It doesn't change the death figures but it does inform scientists regarding percentages contaminatec and not getting a serious dose, which may inform lockdown easing decisions
    There were more people being tested last week and yet the figure has not dropped accordingly, in fact it's more than on some days when there were more tests - although I suppose the high figure might be down to many of those kits sent out on the last two days of last week being returned at the same time, hopefully that will be the case.

International

There were more people being tested last week and yet the figure has not dropped accordingly, in fact it's more than on some days when there were more tests - although I suppose the high figure might be down to many of those kits sent out on the last two days of last week being returned at the same time, hopefully that will be the case.
    But I would think the numbers testing positive are of little concenr to the avewrage person as it does'nt affect the numbers in hosptal and dying directly except to remove some from being risk. That cannot be a bad thing

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    The UK had 43,000 excess deaths for March and April. In other words 43,000 more deaths than would be expected for these months. Well above any other European country. This Government should be hammered for this especially the way Care Homes have been treated with complete disregard.
    Italy for one don't count care home deaths.

Care homes are also 84% privately owned yet you want direct government intervention? Most sensible people would castigate care home owners and managers for not ensuring PPE available...

Thanks, I take it the z score you talk about relates to excess deaths? it's going off that subject, but I was surprised, and a little alarmed, to learn that the number of deaths in RCT is higher than in Cardiff and the Vale apparently, yet I hear it said so often that the virus has not really found it's way to the valleys. It's true that there are, apparently, not many cases around here at the top of the Rhondda valley (and the majority of the ones I'm aware of were picked up in hospital), but, self evidently, that's not true elsewhere in the county.
    The ONS website has an interactive map showing deaths by postcode. In my area in Lisvane 4 people have died, in Treherbert 8 people

The worldometers has a 7 day average chart for UK and new cases have remained fairly steady on the chart since middle of April. We may not be into a second wave, but we are certainly not out of the woods yet.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    The ONS website has an interactive map showing deaths by postcode. In my area in Lisvane 4 people have died, in Treherbert 8 people
    Have you a link to it? Might be my tired eyes but struggling to find it.