+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 38 of 350 FirstFirst ... 28293031323334353637383940414243444546474888138 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    You think that happens in general?
    DO I think there's accurate reporting? Not generally, no.

Peston is the biggest example I can give. Back in the day, yes some journos wpuld become high profile but they never forgot the story was the main selling point, not them. Everything Peston says, does, is aimed at promoting Peston the brand. Come out with stuff quickly disproven? The apology / retraction receives only a fraction of the publicity / retweets of the original claim.

When the deputy CMO utterly destroys a Peston claim, he immediately turns it to him, how he "was slightly taken aback at the ferocity of the Deputy Chief Medical Officer’s response. My view has always been that we should respect experts but not assume they are always correct. And that matters more than ever when so many lives are at stake."

It's sensationalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    The media are scared to back anyone but the tories because they are the only party that let them do what they please. So I don't think we will see a return to real journalism on a wide scale any time soon.
    When Owen Jones and Ash Sarkar get regular "pundit" roles I doubt it will either.

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    When Owen Jones and Ash Sarkar get regular "pundit" roles I doubt it will either.
    How it that related to what I said?

a simplistic analysis of the (imperfect and insufficient) data available: With caution, given the uncertainty in diagnosed cases, the epidemic appears to have grown at ~17% per day in the UK (similar to Italy 14 days before) the week before the lockdown, despite the calls for social distancing. This suggests that a lockdown was very important. It also suggests that a lockdown one week earlier could have led to an epidemic ~3 times smaller (likely translating into many thousands fewer deaths and the need for a shorter and less disruptive lockdown).

Cases offer a distorted picture due to limited testing.

https://twitter.com/imartincorena/st...96648040374272
    The UK government didn't really take any action until March 12th/13th and from then on increasingly ramped up firstly weekly and then day-by-day to where we are now. The rough suggestion being that starting one week earlier could have massively improved our circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    The UK government didn't really take any action until March 12th/13th and from then on increasingly ramped up firstly weekly and then day-by-day to where we are now. The rough suggestion being that starting one week earlier could have massively improved our circumstances.
    I'm still a bit shocked we waited until we did. My office had shut down a week earlier and had prepared us for home working a week before that. If they could see it why couldn't the government?

I think people are becoming complacent aswell. Be it boredom or stubbornness but I get the impression not everyone is on board yet.
    We’re still on exactly the same trajectory as Italy 14/15 days behind, all be it Lombardy has taken the brunt of it but look at London.
    It’s going to get stricter in the next week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    I think people are becoming complacent aswell. Be it boredom or stubbornness but I get the impression not everyone is on board yet.
    We’re still on exactly the same trajectory as Italy 14/15 days behind, all be it Lombardy has taken the brunt of it but look at London.
    It’s going to get stricter in the next week or so.
    I was thinking the roads and streets near me seemed a bit busier today.

Sunday is supposed to be hot, that’ll be a test.

I'm still a bit shocked we waited until we did. My office had shut down a week earlier and had prepared us for home working a week before that. If they could see it why couldn't the government?
    Your workplace (with it's supposed contacts in areas that happen to be hotspots for the virus) is hardly unique.

Practically everyone who could work from home was working from home by the Monday before schools closed.

It was very obvious that the schools would close Friday with most parents at home working. So, the UK avoided the Italy and Spain examples of kids being sent to stay with grand parents for a week or 2 before parents were kept at home.

Can you imagine if we'd closed down a week earlier? We'd still be seeing the same figures (because of incubation) and people would now be getting really fed up. We're already seeing it happen now, and we've only been in lockdown 10 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    They were fitting the science to the policy. At that time the policy was that sporting events carried on and so the scientists were wheeled out to explain why that was fine.
    So the scientist are just puppets dancing on a string are they.

Hoe do you know that the policy was not being fitted to the science????

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    Your workplace (with it's supposed contacts in areas that happen to be hotspots for the virus) is hardly unique. Ok yeah

Practically everyone who could work from home was working from home by the Monday before schools closed. Ok yeah

It was very obvious that the schools would close Friday with most parents at home working. So, the UK avoided the Italy and Spain examples of kids being sent to stay with grand parents for a week or 2 before parents were kept at home. ok yeah

Can you imagine if we'd closed down a week earlier? We'd still be seeing the same figures (because of incubation) and people would now be getting really fed up. We're already seeing it happen now, and we've only been in lockdown 10 days. why would we be getting the same figures a week earlier because of incubation if we’d done everything else a week earlier?
    Jirga old pal why are you being weirdly aggressive?

Can you imagine if we'd closed down a week earlier? We'd still be seeing the same figures (because of incubation) and people would now be getting really fed up.
    There’s been some off the wall shite posted in here for the last month. But how the **** did this make sense in your head?

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Provide examples.
    I was responding to AZ citys post.

He gave no examples where he talked about experts who do give a scooby.( to quote him)

You didn't ask him.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    So the scientist are just puppets dancing on a string are they.

Hoe do you know that the policy was not being fitted to the science????
    Not puppets dancing but they certainly haven't had all powers of decision making devolved to them, this was always a balancing act between the economic effect (shorter term and longer term) and lives lost given our level of preparedness. The cso or cmo doesn't make those decisions, they are employed by the people who do.

That is my way of explaining why we were out of step with the who and the majority of the world for so long. The only other explanation is that we aren't as good at this stuff as we think.

The Government script:

‘We’ve taken the right steps at the right time’
    -Dominic Raab March 30

‘We’ve taken the right steps at the right time’
    -Matt Hancock April 2

Paul Johnson: https://twitter.com/paul__johnson/st...50443411726336
    The right steps at the right time but still leaving us with a lack of testing equipment, a lack of ventilators, lack of PPE but a full Cheltenham Festival and Wales/Scotland 6 Nations only called off on 13th of March and not following UK government advice. These things all take time to obtain but we had warning with first UK case at end of January.

Practically everyone who could work from home was working from home by the Monday before schools closed.
    This is absolute nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    There’s been some off the wall shite posted in here for the last month. But how the **** did this make sense in your head?
    To be fair to him, the bit about incubation is factually correct.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    To be fair to him, the bit about incubation is factually correct.
    So you think if we isolated a week earlier we would stil have exactly the same number of overall infections?

Personally, I would say the best advice is to spend less time watching TV news which is sensational and not very good. Personally, I view this Covid outbreak as akin to a bad winter influenza epidemic. In this case we have had 8000 deaths this last year in the at risk groups viz over 65% people with heart disease etc. I do not feel this current Covid will exceed this number. We are suffering from a media epidemic!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Personally, I would say the best advice is to spend less time watching TV news which is sensational and not very good. Personally, I view this Covid outbreak as akin to a bad winter influenza epidemic. In this case we have had 8000 deaths this last year in the at risk groups viz over 65% people with heart disease etc. I do not feel this current Covid will exceed this number. We are suffering from a media epidemic!
    It only won't exceed this number because we've all been isolating for 3 weeks already. If we were going about life as normal the deaths would be over 10 times that. That's not sensational, that's a fact.

There's also the pesky detail that we have a flu vaccine and the fact that hospitals don't get overwhelmed by people with flu during flu season.

Come on you cannot be serious saying this at this point.

"I view this as akin to a bad winter influenza epidemic."

Yeah that's why countries have closed the borders and have 90% of the country working from home.

That's why we've had to put hospital beds in the EXcel and the millenium stadium.

That's why Dyson are making vetillators.

Do you really think if it was just a bd flu epidemic this would all be happening?

Save this,this is CCMB’s magnum opus of pig headed stubbornness and stupidity.

"I view this as akin to a bad winter influenza epidemic."

Yeah that's why countries have closed the borders and have 90% of the country working from home.

That's why we've had to put hospital beds in the EXcel and the millenium stadium.

That's why Dyson are making vetillators.

Do you really think if it was just a bd flu epidemic this would all be happening?
    It's written by Professor John Oxford, who a Google search reveals as an expert on the 1918 flu. Looks like Wales Bales has got some very clever plan up his sleeve.

https://novuscomms.com/2020/03/31/a-...r-john-oxford/

I would agree with you to a certain extent that watching The News a bit to much isn't helpful for some, it's the only thing happening at the moment and i do find that some of the coverage isn't really news, just the media repeating themselves for the sake of it, It is important but saturated to the point where it seems that there must be a competition to see which reporter can do the most concerned expression. I get it, things aren't great at the moment.

It works the other way as well with individuals who think that they know something that everyone else doesn't. There's nothing wrong with people having opinions but there is something wrong when people who have an agenda with biased opinion are using the internet to spread bullshit that the stupid and already converted lap up in spades. I've spent more time on here recently than usual, but it seems that some people are living there life on the internet repeating the same things as they did yesterday, they lose credibility in my opinion, it's not healthy.