+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 24 of 350 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333474124 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Alright you've got me there.

Why is now the time for all this right and left wing nonsense?
    A left wing government would perhaps have put people’s health first, sorted out the inevitable financial difficulties of the individual rather than this lot’s pushing on with vague promises of monetary aid ensuring people carry on working until the death (literally).

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    It doesn’t appear that Arizona has been badly hit yet but it might come based on what I saw...

I do think that NYC is going to end up being the worst hit place on the planet though
    Eventually the incidence will be the same everywhere. The difference in the % of deaths will be how the local health system copes with the influx of intensive care cases. The longer the lead (planning) time, the better they should be able to cope. I wish I could say Arizona is learning from NYC, Seattle etc but I fear it's not. People here are just not taking this seriously enough.

Sedona is very pretty. I recommend it to anyone who hasn't been.

First Team

Is it his fault that people are bloody stupid??????!
    Well it kinda is, isn't it? If more state funds were devoted to education?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Well for one it's the eternal struggle and two right wing governments are more likely not to take a human crisis like this seriously but put their friends in business first. If this were a left wing government we would have been more likely to have had a virtual total lockdown much earlier and thereby saving more lives and making the NHS response more manageable. This Berk in number 10 is only just behind the clown Trump in his unsuitability to lead a great nation.
    Left or right, this government spent about a month and a half ignoring the advice of the WHO and following scientific theory which almost no other country in the world believed was right, they are still not following advice of WHO in terms of testing (perhaps not being able to process this due to lack of staff after 10 years of cuts), are not joining with the EU to mass buys ventilators and are still suggesting Brexit goes ahead as planned which means we're more likely to have no deal after we've withdrawn - more than one clock is running at this time.

Perhaps transition period for Brexit being extended is obvious and doesn't need to be organised currently, perhaps the UK can purchase enough ventilators alone and more quickly, perhaps....we're spending an awful lot of time trying to excuse a government who had chance to know about potential pandemic scenario at end of January and acted outside advice of WHO.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Well it kinda is, isn't it? If more state funds were devoted to education?
    Knowledge does not equal intelligence.

To put it another way, you can know plenty of facts and figures, but habe no common sense - which is what's needed in these trying times.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Knowledge does not equal intelligence.

To put it another way, you can know plenty of facts and figures, but habe no common sense - which is what's needed in these trying times.
    You're implying "common sense" is innate and cannot be taught?

Intelligence has many facets and only one of them is the retention of "facts and figures".

Well for one it's the eternal struggle and two right wing governments are more likely not to take a human crisis like this seriously but put their friends in business first. If this were a left wing government we would have been more likely to have had a virtual total lockdown much earlier and thereby saving more lives and making the NHS response more manageable. This Berk in number 10 is only just behind the clown Trump in his unsuitability to lead a great nation.
    Absolute rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Left or right, this government spent about a month and a half ignoring the advice of the WHO and following scientific theory which almost no other country in the world believed was right, they are still not following advice of WHO in terms of testing (perhaps not being able to process this due to lack of staff after 10 years of cuts), are not joining with the EU to mass buys ventilators and are still suggesting Brexit goes ahead as planned which means we're more likely to have no deal after we've withdrawn - more than one clock is running at this time.

Perhaps transition period for Brexit being extended is obvious and doesn't need to be organised currently, perhaps the UK can purchase enough ventilators alone and more quickly, perhaps....we're spending an awful lot of time trying to excuse a government who had chance to know about potential pandemic scenario at end of January and acted outside advice of WHO.
    Do the WHO always get it right ? Why should we blindly follow what they say when our own scientists and medical officers are saying something different ? You appear to be letting your political bias dictate your opinions on this matter

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    A left wing government would perhaps have put people’s health first, sorted out the inevitable financial difficulties of the individual rather than this lot’s pushing on with vague promises of monetary aid ensuring people carry on working until the death (literally).
    I think you and Dorcus have the wrong end of the stick here.

I wasn't referring as to what a government of a different shade of opinion would have done.

That ship sailed on 12 December and for better or worse we will have the Tories for the next five years.

What I meant that we should not have the usual ya boo politics.

So far all sides in parliament are to be commended. There has been little of the usual nonsense.

As regards the money most seem happy with what they have done with those on PAYE.

We will see tomorrow what they do for the self employed.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Absolute rubbish.
    And why on Earth would I pay any attention to your infantile opinions?

I cannot believe anyone can defend how slowly and poorly the government have acted. How can anyone be so biased and one eyed, it’s pathetic.

Do the WHO always get it right ? Why should we blindly follow what they say when our own scientists and medical officers are saying something different ? You appear to be letting your political bias dictate your opinions on this matter
    Our government have ****ed us pal. It’s clear to everyone except the people who blindly follow a party.

If Corbyn was in number 10 now (god forbid), he would have gone missing, just like he did during the Brexit campaign. Spineless commy.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    Our government have ****ed us pal. It’s clear to everyone except the people who blindly follow a party.
    So they are not following the science then?

The number of people who have volunteered to help the NHS passes 500,000 tonight. What a fantastic response. Would have loved to be one but despite being quite fit and active, at 73 I am classified as vulnerable elderly myself and required to stay at home! I suppose I could do the " phoning around" role.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52029877

I really do not get this whole should have locked down quicker, we have scientific advisers addressing the country, who have said we need slow down the infection rate. not once said we need to stop it dead. If we went on lock-down on day 1, yes the infection would not spread but that is just kicking the can down the road, what we all live in isolation for 1-2 years while a cure is found? we have brought in measures step by step and while we till have not reached our peak, it does not seem to be out of control.

Both my mother and sister are nurses and while they have a lot going on, they both say capacity has not been reached by the majority of hospitals so not sure why there is so much hysteria, we have not got patients lying in the streets like Italy do, and if we all follow the governments measures we could likely avoid it.

people are listening to the news all day and getting worked up, nothing is falling apart, drive past your nearest hospital ( i volunteer at mine) its not burning in hell fire, we do not have bodies lining the street.

---

However I will say we could have prepared better in hindsight, stopped non essential travel before the disease hit us ect, however This is the first pandemic to hit the UK in my life time, and i think all of us can admit our attitude was slightly more flippant when news first started to break in China, we are just people trying our best at the end of the day, I hate this blaming culture.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I really do not get this whole should have locked down quicker, we have scientific advisers addressing the country, who have said we need slow down the infection rate. not once said we need to stop it dead. If we went on lock-down on day 1, yes the infection would not spread but that is just kicking the can down the road, what we all live in isolation for 1-2 years while a cure is found? we have brought in measures step by step and while we till have not reached our peak, it does not seem to be out of control.

Both my mother and sister are nurses and while they have a lot going on, they both say capacity has not been reached by the majority of hospitals so not sure why there is so much hysteria, we have not got patients lying in the streets like Italy do, and if we all follow the governments measures we could likely avoid it.

people are listening to the news all day and getting worked up, nothing is falling apart, drive past your nearest hospital ( i volunteer at mine) its not burning in hell fire, we do not have bodies lining the street.

---

However I will say we could have prepared better in hindsight, stopped non essential travel before the disease hit us ect, however This is the first pandemic to hit the UK in my life time, and i think all of us can admit our attitude was slightly more flippant when news first started to break in China, we are just people trying our best at the end of the day, I hate this blaming culture.

Isn't the " hysteria " so that we DON'T get to the stage of Italy where there are patients lying in the streets?

You say capacity hasn't been reached yet, which is probably true. But you also need to look at the exponential growth to tell you that it soon will. No one has said we are at the peak. That's why there is what you call hysteria.

Heisenberg

To those who are defending the Tory c**ts during this pandemic, let me ask you this...

Why was a headline this week: 'Coronavirus: Tens of thousands of retired medics asked to return to NHS'?

Is it because our NHS has been criminally underfunded and cut for the last decade (and more) that we require literally thousands of retired medical staff to volunteer for the cause... or is it because the Tories are doing a great job of controlling the Coronavirus (2 months after the experts said they should start taking action)?

DML need not reply.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Isn't the " hysteria " so that we DON'T get to the stage of Italy where there are patients lying in the streets?

You say capacity hasn't been reached yet, which is probably true. But you also need to look at the exponential growth to tell you that it soon will. No one has said we are at the peak. That's why there is what you call hysteria.
    Not sure how many times this will be said before people actually understand that it's going to get worse. The mind boggles.

---

Balanced post without panic or drama, based on facts. Please delete..

First things first, deciding to only test serious cases is either a political or economic choice and not a scientific one. Evidenced by the fact that those with means are privately tested whenever they like.

The UK stuck it's neck out and then subsequently got in line, in the process wasting a load of time. By doing this, the people involved opened themselves up to scrutiny, especially after we dramatically changed course to fall back into line with the rest of the world over last weekend.

---

We could have prepared a lot better and there is a good chance we will get a spike in infections in 2 weeks time just like italy did. If we had been clever we would have looked at Spain and Italy and isolated 2 weeks earlier and not reached the peak.

So they are not following the science then?
    What do you mean "following the science"?

Chris Whitty and Patrick Vallance offer advice. Government makes policy decisions. Just because Whitty and Vallance are wheeled out night after night to justify the decisions does not mean that the government have 100% followed their advice when making policy.

The ideologues in this thread would scare the scientific community, the scientific process is about learning and making necessary adjustments. The only thing that makes me retain my faith in this whole debacle is that when the evidence was overwhelming that we were following the wrong strategy we changed course. The question should be, 'why had other countries made that adjustment beforehand?' and we should be asking it and learning from it. Science shouldn't be used as a shield for bad policy decisions that may have cost lives.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Balanced post without panic or drama, based on facts. Please delete..
    The guy who says no one has died of coronavirus is now praising facts