+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

The timeline from January to March is even more damning

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    The timeline from January to March is even more damning
    I agree, but to be fair to Johnson, he was out of the loop for much of February because he was on holiday.

The most damning part of the article for me is the bit where it says there was a realisation in mid March that we were going to be worse than Italy and yet there was still hesitation about implementing the lockdown.

not sure how accurate this is, but...20200524_133524.jpg

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I agree, but to be fair to Johnson, he was out of the loop for much of February because he was on holiday.

The most damning part of the article for me is the bit where it says there was a realisation in mid March that we were going to be worse than Italy and yet there was still hesitation about implementing the lockdown.
    https://appeasement.org/

this graph is damning20200524_151032.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    There is the opinion that Chamberlain’s actions very cleverly bought Britain a little bit of time to prepare a little bit for war instead of jumping in feet first totally unprepared. If Johnson jumped in anywhere feet first he’d probably land on his head.

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    There is the opinion that Chamberlain’s actions very cleverly bought Britain a little bit of time to prepare a little bit for war instead of jumping in feet first totally unprepared. If Johnson jumped in anywhere feet first he’d probably land on his head.
    Yeah it bought them lots of time, 1 year and34 days to be precise.

In 1940 he was still one of the war cabinet pushing for peace talks via Mussolini.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post

In 1940 he was still one of the war cabinet pushing for peace talks via Mussolini.
    At the time that he came back with "a piece of paper", it was widely celebrated in the UK. PMs don't have the vision of hindsight. Johnson possesses neither hindsight nor foresight.

How anyone can read that times article bob posted and not think the government completely ****ed everything is beyond me.

International

At the time that he came back with "a piece of paper", it was widely celebrated in the UK. PMs don't have the vision of hindsight. Johnson possesses neither hindsight nor foresight.
    Actually it wasn't there werre widespread demonstrations about it at the time but the news was suppressed by "Chamberlains mauipulation of the BBC". nothing changes much does it?

some military historians think that time was absolutely crucial to the UK. after he came back with his piece of paper he also immediately stepped up preparations in the army. had we ended up in war at that earlier time we would have fared a lot worse.
    unfortunately that gets lost as the narrative for how the war played out was set by the guy who came afterwards, to paint him in the best possible way.

International

Just to add a little bit of substance to me last post about Chamberlain:

"Chamberlain's return was not universally well-received. 15,000 people protested against the Munich agreement the same day in Trafalgar Square, three times more than welcomed him at 10 Downing Street. Due to Chamberlain's ongoing manipulation of the BBC, this news was largely suppressed at the time.[5] Labour spokesman Hugh Dalton publicly suggested that the piece of paper which Chamberlain was waving was "torn from the pages of Mein Kampf."[6] Disbelieving Chamberlain, Isaac Asimov published in July 1939 "Trends", which mentions a World War in 1940. He later wrote "I was too conservative" (about when war would begin).[7]"

As I said, a little bit of time, Chamberlain’s insistence in the late 1930s to manufacture Spitfires & Hurricanes, fighter planes rather than the type Churchill was championing was a major factor in winning the Battle of Britain.

This has just appeared on the Guardian's rolling coverage;-

"Vaccine will be ready by September, drug maker chief claims
    British people will be able to access a coronavirus vaccine from September, the chief executive of drug maker AstraZeneca has said, despite concerns it will not be ready.

Pascal Soriot told The Andrew Marr Show on Sunday that British people will get first access to the vaccine from autumn.

The pharmaceutical firm, which is working with Oxford University, had previously said it has secured the first agreements for at least 400 million doses of the vaccine, PA reports.

But a leading member of the project told The Sunday Telegraph the lower transmission of Covid-19 in the community leaves the trial with only a 50% chance of success.

Asked if people in Britain will be among the first to get the vaccine, Soriot said: “Yes, we have actually received an order from the British Government to supply 100 million doses of vaccine, and those will go to the British people.

“And there’s no doubt, starting in September, we will start delivering these doses of vaccine to the British Government for vaccination.”

But Soriot went on to say the possibility of the vaccine being rolled out in autumn depended on if an Oxford University trial worked before the transmission rate lowers further.

He added: “The vaccine has to work and that’s one question, and the other question is, even if it works, we have to be able to demonstrate it.

“We have to run as fast as possible before the disease disappears so we can demonstrate that the vaccine is effective.”

Oxford University’s Jenner Institute and the Oxford Vaccine Group began development on a vaccine in January, using a virus taken from chimpanzees."

International

This has just appeared on the Guardian's rolling coverage;-

"Vaccine will be ready by September, drug maker chief claims
    British people will be able to access a coronavirus vaccine from September, the chief executive of drug maker AstraZeneca has said, despite concerns it will not be ready.

Pascal Soriot told The Andrew Marr Show on Sunday that British people will get first access to the vaccine from autumn.

The pharmaceutical firm, which is working with Oxford University, had previously said it has secured the first agreements for at least 400 million doses of the vaccine, PA reports.

But a leading member of the project told The Sunday Telegraph the lower transmission of Covid-19 in the community leaves the trial with only a 50% chance of success.

Asked if people in Britain will be among the first to get the vaccine, Soriot said: “Yes, we have actually received an order from the British Government to supply 100 million doses of vaccine, and those will go to the British people.

“And there’s no doubt, starting in September, we will start delivering these doses of vaccine to the British Government for vaccination.”

But Soriot went on to say the possibility of the vaccine being rolled out in autumn depended on if an Oxford University trial worked before the transmission rate lowers further.

He added: “The vaccine has to work and that’s one question, and the other question is, even if it works, we have to be able to demonstrate it.

“We have to run as fast as possible before the disease disappears so we can demonstrate that the vaccine is effective.”

Oxford University’s Jenner Institute and the Oxford Vaccine Group began development on a vaccine in January, using a virus taken from chimpanzees."
    fingers toes legs arms and everything else crossed!!

Banned

fingers toes legs arms and everything else crossed!!
    You do realise that what he is basically saying is it COULD be ready based on trials. I know you sometimes struggle with that word, and other times you don't.

Banned

Actually it wasn't there werre widespread demonstrations about it at the time but the news was suppressed by "Chamberlains mauipulation of the BBC". nothing changes much does it?
    I've never heard about that - do you have a link so that I can read more about it?

International

You do realise that what he is basically saying is it COULD be ready based on trials. I know you sometimes struggle with that word, and other times you don't.
    I know exactly what it said. If it was certain there would be no need for the hypothetical crossed fingers would there?
    I don't struggle with words, I struggle with dick heads like you. I told you before you're a waste

Banned

I know exactly what it said. If it was certain there would be no need for the hypothetical crossed fingers would there?
    I don't struggle with words, I struggle with dick heads like you. I told you before you're a waste
    There is no reason to be so upset.

Anyway, I am interested in these widespread protests. If you can send a link, I can have a read about it and leave you to calm down for a few minutes.

International

There is no reason to be so upset.

Anyway, I am interested in these widespread protests. If you can send a link, I can have a read about it and leave you to calm down for a few minutes.
    I'm not upset, don't give yourself the ability to upset me, nothing could be further from the treth, I find your self professed super intelligence quite amusing.
    the link I quoted was wikipedia "Peace in our time". you can google it.

Banned

I'm not upset, don't give yourself the ability to upset me, nothing could be further from the treth, I find your self professed super intelligence quite amusing.
    the link I quoted was wikipedia "Peace in our time". you can google it.

Thanks very much. I'll read it a bit later. I have never professed intelligence, it's usually you trying to flatter me.

International

Thanks very much. I'll read it a bit later. I have never professed intelligence, it's usually you trying to flatter me.
    Yeah right. Was it not you that questioned your professors rating of your work and wrote to a renowned professor in a top US university that said you are briliant?

Banned

Yeah right. Was it not you that questioned your professors rating of your work and wrote to a renowned professor in a top US university that said you are briliant?
    No.

Banned

Just to add a little bit of substance to me last post about Chamberlain:

"Chamberlain's return was not universally well-received. 15,000 people protested against the Munich agreement the same day in Trafalgar Square, three times more than welcomed him at 10 Downing Street. Due to Chamberlain's ongoing manipulation of the BBC, this news was largely suppressed at the time.[5] Labour spokesman Hugh Dalton publicly suggested that the piece of paper which Chamberlain was waving was "torn from the pages of Mein Kampf."[6] Disbelieving Chamberlain, Isaac Asimov published in July 1939 "Trends", which mentions a World War in 1940. He later wrote "I was too conservative" (about when war would begin).[7]"
    Where is the evidence that he was manipulating the BBC? I also never claimed that his appeasement paper was universally well received.

International

"At the time that he came back with "a piece of paper, it was widely celebrated in the UK. PMs don't have the vision of hindsight. Johnson possesses neither hindsight nor foresight"

You actually said this.