+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 69 of 350 FirstFirst ... 19596061626364656667686970717273747576777879119169 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 8745

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

every country is testing differently.
    you would hardly expect them to suddenly have a standard gauge.
    cant even agree on miles meters lbs and kilos

The Health Secretary has confirmed that the number of completed tests has gone up exponentially in the last few days and the number of identified cases resulting from those tests appears to be on a downward curve. You would have thought that these massively increased targeted tests would show a blip in the numbers so good news!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I have been getting bombarded with texts for the last week, as a local authority worker who works entirely from home, trying to encourage me to go and get tested if any of my family has any of the symptoms. I am sure there are loads in a similar position.

Forgive me for thinking these additional tests haven't been particularly well targeted (ie health and social care workers who are actually at risk).
    I’d assumed they would be targeted at the right people.

That said, the wife has been working in a school hub and one of her colleagues had to jump through hoops in order to get a test done. The process and bureaucracy did seem a little pedantic.

I’m ex local authority currently working third sector. I’ve been designated key worker and been out and about with vulnerable service users. I’m not expecting to be offered a test anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...it-100000-goal

Seems they hit the target of people tested if you count retests and tests in the post! Otherwise, no they didn't hit the target!

Ouch.

Oh come on, The government set a target that at the time was a real push ( many said they didnt stand a chance )

have they hit it ? ? ? havent they hit ? ? ? does it matter ? ? ? its all a step in the right direction and something we should be happy about, baby steps in this battle we are in

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Oh come on, The government set a target that at the time was a real push ( many said they didnt stand a chance )

have they hit it ? ? ? havent they hit ? ? ? does it matter ? ? ? its all a step in the right direction and something we should be happy about, baby steps in this battle we are in
    And they quite clearly didn't hit it. Whilst I agree with your sentiments about progress, why is it that they continue to treat the population like idiots with this smoke and mirrors stuff!

More tests is good.

Enough tests for the people who need them - and that are accessible - would be better.

A PR splash that seems to have only succeeded by massaging the figures - and conning the public - is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueToujours View Post
    And they quite clearly didn't hit it. Whilst I agree with your sentiments about progress, why is it that they continue to treat the population like idiots with this smoke and mirrors stuff!
    i guess they feel the general public like a bit of positivity in these times, most knew it was a brave target, it was a hell of a " ramp up " in tests in such a short time frame

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    More tests is good.

Enough tests for the people who need them - and that are accessible - would be better.

A PR splash that seems to have only succeeded by massaging the figures - and conning the public - is bad.
    from where we started, we are heading in the right direction and thats something to be happy about

i guess they feel the general public like a bit of positivity in these times, most knew it was a brave target, it was a hell of a " ramp up " in tests in such a short time frame
    So massaging the figures, some might argue lying is undertaken to brighten the mood of the public?

They’re all heart these Tories

Did you see the Briefing tho. Matt Hancock said that the number of tests yesterday was 122K. This is obviously not true. He was clearly lying to the people that he is supposed to be serve. Politician lying... no surprise there. He would get more respect by admitting an heroic failure but stressing the increase in capacity.

The problem with this subject is that I can't help thinking that the arguments would be reversed by some people on both sides if exactly the same thing happened and it was a Labour Government. I tend to agree with Matt, the method by which the 100,000 figure was arrived may be a bit dubious, but it's obvious that there are far more tests being carried out than there were and that was what many, myself included, wanted a month ago. There are plenty of things the Government can be criticised for in this crisis, but I'm not going to get too worked up about this.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The problem with this subject is that I can't help thinking that the arguments would be reversed by some people on both sides if exactly the same thing happened and it was a Labour Government. I tend to agree with Matt, the method by which the 100,000 figure was arrived may be a bit dubious, but it's obvious that there are far more tests being carried out than there were and that was what many, myself included, wanted a month ago. There are plenty of things the Government can be criticised for in this crisis, but I'm not going to get too worked up about this.
    Bob,

I sort of agree. Targets, particularly ones that politicians associate themselves with can be galvanising and purposeful in pushing and mobilising effort. Where they are dangerous is when they become more important than the outcome. I think there is a bit of the latter here.

If the aim is to manage the best outcome for the UK from where we are then in the absence of a vaccine testing and tracing is the best way out. Increasing targeted testing at those most at risk or most vulnerable aligned to a tracing capability for those who have come in contact with them with all those elements in place or being put in place seems to be the right way forward with the capacity to manage what the results are telling you.

I don't get the sense that was the driver here, More once the target was set how can we engineer an outcome that meets it. If it means a bit of smoke and mirrors on the numbers then there should be a bit of shame on shoulders rather than laurel leaves but is less important to me than if what was done diverted resources away from the test/trace/test strategy.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

No politician thinks in these terms these days, they can't afford to.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Bob,

I sort of agree. Targets, particularly ones that politicians associate themselves with can be galvanising and purposeful in pushing and mobilising effort. Where they are dangerous is when they become more important than the outcome. I think there is a bit of the latter here.

If the aim is to manage the best outcome for the UK from where we are then in the absence of a vaccine testing and tracing is the best way out. Increasing targeted testing at those most at risk or most vulnerable aligned to a tracing capability for those who have come in contact with them with all those elements in place or being put in place seems to be the right way forward with the capacity to manage what the results are telling you.

I don't get the sense that was the driver here, More once the target was set how can we engineer an outcome that meets it. If it means a bit of smoke and mirrors on the numbers then there should be a bit of shame on shoulders rather than laurel leaves but is less important to me than if what was done diverted resources away from the test/trace/test strategy.
    I'm with you when you talk about the target becoming over important - gimmick is too strong a word, but it has felt a little like that to me at times when it comes to 100,000 cases a day. However, I do feel that the important thing is that we appear to be better placed now to use the methods practiced by countries that have made a much better fist of tackling the virus now - I'll give the Government some credit for this, but the fact that we are, finally, beginning to do what we should have been able to do ages ago still leaves them a long way in debit as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know if 100,000 tests a day is sufficient* but ensuring those who need testing are able to access it quickly, easily and accurately is an important part of getting out of lockdown, in my opinion, so this another small step in right direction. The next questions being are we reaching all who need it, how easy are they to admister and and how quickly and accurately do results come back. Has there been any information on this for me to read?

*I'm sure "the science" says it is now whereas one month ago "the science" said it wasn't. We still seem to be doing second worst in the world despite more notice than most so would be interesting to see how "the science" explains that.

Andrew Neil, BBC/The Spectator, is not impressed:

Let’s now disaggregate this. The 122,000 total includes almost 40,000 tests posted to homes and patients in hospital. There are no figures for how many of the 40,000 we’re actually tested/processed. Also only 73,000 people were checked as some had multiple tests.

The original target was 100,000 people tested by end-April. That target has been missed, despite the headline figure. Indeed the more you looked at the 122,000 stat, the more it looks a propaganda figure rather than a reliable guide.

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1256274734465134592

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I don't know if 100,000 tests a day is sufficient* but ensuring those who need testing are able to access it quickly, easily and accurately is an important part of getting out of lockdown, in my opinion, so this another small step in right direction. The next questions being are we reaching all who need it, how easy are they to admister and and how quickly and accurately do results come back. Has there been any information on this for me to read?

*I'm sure "the science" says it is now whereas one month ago "the science" said it wasn't. We still seem to be doing second worst in the world despite more notice than most so would be interesting to see how "the science" explains that.
    There is the crux of th matter , like most set targets they actually lead to a media frenzy , one decent media man admitted today using this target as a storyline was wrong, testing is fine ,results are the key ,and testing the right people at the right time, I'd rather no target and quality testing , testing to reach some target is worrying .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    There is the crux of th matter , like most set targets they actually lead to a media frenzy , one decent media man admitted today using this target as a storyline was wrong, testing is fine ,results are the key ,and testing the right people at the right time, I'd rather no target and quality testing , testing to reach some target is worrying .
    Agree with all of that. The media definitely played their part in pushing this as a make or break for the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Agree with all of that. The media definitely played their part in pushing this as a make or break for the government.
    👍 We saw the same on Immigration controls .

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Is that 122,000 completed tests?

If so it’s a step in the right direction.
    He hasn't been seen since this post, it's bizarre how often his internet cuts out when he's getting proven wrong

What was the significance of 100,000 tests per day anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    What was the significance of 100,000 tests per day anyway?
    It was just a target the government set themselves

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    �� We saw the same on Immigration controls .
    Rubbish, the media would not have been going on about the testing or immigration targets if the Government hadn't set them would they?

That said, I agree that the media in general have an increasing tendency to go for "obvious" questions like the 100,000 target when, if the object of the questioning is to be critical of the Government, there is so much else they could concentrate on.