+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 72 of 350 FirstFirst ... 22626364656667686970717273747576777879808182122172 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 8745

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    This year it's been moved to Friday to coincide with VE Day
    Ah, okay, I must have missed the invite to the street party then.

Therefore there's no reason why the testing figure shouldn't be 100,000 tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Ah, okay, I must have missed the invite to the street party then.

Therefore there's no reason why the testing figure shouldn't be 100,000 tomorrow.
    There isn't.

And here you go

ve.jpg

International

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Whatever, they come back and fore. I had a student from Hong Kong in a house I let out, both his parents came over before Christmas as did a couple of his mates....my mate lives in Venice where there are 1000s of Chinese tourists all the time, not just students
    Bearing in mind that to non christians christmas probably mean absolutely nothing. They just want to see where there off spring live and make sure they're OK before they go home ot china for university break.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Whatever, they come back and fore. I had a student from Hong Kong in a house I let out, both his parents came over before Christmas as did a couple of his mates....my mate lives in Venice where there are 1000s of Chinese tourists all the time, not just students
    Tourism is probably more of a factor than students in the spread. Especially coming to Europe to see what Christmas is like here.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Bearing in mind that to non christians christmas probably mean absolutely nothing. They just want to see where there off spring live and make sure they're OK before they go home ot china for university break.
    Christmas is definitely seen by non-christians around the world as an enticing event. Markets in Germany, snow in Lapland, there are package holidays to experience a European Christmas.

International

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Christmas is definitely seen by non-christians around the world as an enticing event. Markets in Germany, snow in Lapland, there are package holidays to experience a European Christmas.
    I appreciate that but these folk are talking about family arriving and leaving again before christmas. Maybe killing 2 birds with one stone but still not the defining reason for the visit, which is to see theri childrens lving environment etc.

I know it's some way from a complete figure these days and the figure always drops on the weekend, but the hospital deaths figures issued by each country today are the lowest for ages as a total - 204 in England, 14 in Wales, 6 in Northern Ireland and 5 in Scotland making 229 in total.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I know it's some way from a complete figure these days and the figure always drops on the weekend, but the hospital deaths figures issued by each country today are the lowest for ages as a total - 204 in England, 14 in Wales, 6 in Northern Ireland and 5 in Scotland making 229 in total.
    I noted that too, and apparently the number of deaths in care home is also levelling off which cannot be a bad thing.
    I think we are all now starting to look forward for any sign of an easing of the lockdown.

From Guardian earlier today.

"Cases in Germany likely to be 10 times higher than official number, researchers conclude

More than 10 times as many people in Germany have probably been infected with the coronavirus than the number of confirmed cases, researchers from the University of Bonn have concluded from a field trial in one of the worst hit towns.

The preliminary study results, which have yet to be peer reviewed for publication in a scientific journal, serve as a reminder of the dangers of infection by unidentified carriers of the virus, some of whom show no symptoms, the researchers said.

The readings come as Germany took further steps on Monday to ease restrictions, with museums, hairdressers, churches and more car factories reopening under strict conditions.

About 1.8 million people living in Germany must have been infected, more than 10 times the number of about 160,000 confirmed cases so far, the team led by medical researchers Hendrik Streeck and Gunther Hartmann concluded.

“The results can help to further improve the models to calculate how the virus spreads. So far the underlying data has been relatively weak,” Hartmann said in a statement.

The team analysed blood and nasal swabs from a random sample of 919 people living in a town in the municipality of Heinsberg on the Dutch border, which had among the highest death tolls in Germany.

To arrive at their estimate, the researchers put the town’s number of known deaths from Covid-19 relative to the larger estimate of local people with a prior infection – as indicated by antibody blood test readings – and applied the rate of 0.37% to country-wide deaths.

They also found that about one in five of those infected showed no symptoms."

Caveat being the research is at the moment not peer reviewed, but IF true it shows how incredibly difficult it is for anyone to assess based upon figures and stats at this point.

International

I know I've mentioned it before but my big worry is the noises coming from some government sources that pubs will be the last thing allowed to open and maybe not until next year. The people who would rather that pubs never open again are clearly pleased by this, no particular section of society but those who believe that anything enjoyable must be wrong or bad for you, and the argument is probably bouyed by a recent servey result that claimed that 60% of the polulation said it would be unsafe to go to a pub for a long time. But of course as we know from "Yes minister" you can make a poll show anytihng you want just be asking the right questions.

My feeling is that a pub is a lot more than just a place to buy alcohol, it is and always has been the centre of the local community a place to meet friends and to relax after work.
    The argument is that crowding in pubs will make them breeding grounds for the virus but if these 60% think it isn't safe they don't have to go. It isn't compulsory. Just because they allow pubs to open doesn't force people to go to them.
    But keeping them closed for a long period when everything else is being relaxed is a recipe for a lot of pissed off citizens.
    The other thing is that the longer the are forced to stay closed the greater the number that will never open again, further eroding what to people all over the world is seen as a british national institution. There is nothing even remotely like the proper old british pub anywhere else in the world

I know I've mentioned it before but my big worry is the noises coming from some government sources that pubs will be the last thing allowed to open and maybe not until next year. The people who would rather that pubs never open again are clearly pleased by this, no particular section of society but those who believe that anything enjoyable must be wrong or bad for you, and the argument is probably bouyed by a recent servey result that claimed that 60% of the polulation said it would be unsafe to go to a pub for a long time. But of course as we know from "Yes minister" you can make a poll show anytihng you want just be asking the right questions.

My feeling is that a pub is a lot more than just a place to buy alcohol, it is and always has been the centre of the local community a place to meet friends and to relax after work.
    The argument is that crowding in pubs will make them breeding grounds for the virus but if these 60% think it isn't safe they don't have to go. It isn't compulsory. Just because they allow pubs to open doesn't force people to go to them.
    But keeping them closed for a long period when everything else is being relaxed is a recipe for a lot of pissed off citizens.
    The other thing is that the longer the are forced to stay closed the greater the number that will never open again, further eroding what to people all over the world is seen as a british national institution. There is nothing even remotely like the proper old british pub anywhere else in the world
    I regularly google when pubs will open.😭

I really dont see how they can open for a long time though. Maybe until a vaccine/ significantly better treatment.

I hope Canton Cross doesn't have to close permanently due to this. Love that place for pre match pint or nine...

Johnson will probably open them at some point and tell people not to go to pubs anyway. That was the initial advice from him. Im not closing them but dont go there!!!!

International

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Johnson will probably open them at some point and tell people not to go to pubs anyway. That was the initial advice from him. Im not closing them but dont go there!!!!
    Well I don't actrually see much wrong with that. after lockdown Just because they are open it doesn't force people to go and they can spar wide if they wish. Saying they are open but don't go after the lockdown is at least giving people an informed cxhoice. Knowing the risk if they choose to go they can.
    Also those that have had it can go and those in low risk catagories (Oh hang on the bloody place will be full of teenagers lol)

Well I don't actrually see much wrong with that. after lockdown Just because they are open it doesn't force people to go and they can spar wide if they wish. Saying they are open but don't go after the lockdown is at least giving people an informed cxhoice. Knowing the risk if they choose to go they can.
    Also those that have had it can go and those in low risk catagories (Oh hang on the bloody place will be full of teenagers lol)
    No.

The UK Prime Minister should not be allowing places to open but saying stay out of them.

Its not the danger to the individual its the effect of catching it and passing it on and it spreading.

When they open pubs its got to be safe not just for those that use them.

How can you still not understand how it works? People going to pubs makes it more likely other people will get it. It isn't just the individual who goes to the pub who'll get it, it's potentially anyone they interact with for the next 2 weeks.

This is why the "restrictions" didn't work at first because pubs, restaurants and gyms were open but people were being told maybe it was best not to go to them.

The problem with the argument about pubs is that it still seems pretty clear that the virus is able to spread more easily indoors than outdoors and pubs are a venue that encourages people to congregate together in large groups often for long periods. Much has been made of the decision to go ahead with the Cheltenham festival and the Liverpool v Athletico Madrid games and both of the venues have, apparently, being "hotspots" in comparison to other areas of similar size. The virus could have thrived at those two venues, but I'd say that it's perhaps more likely that the real damage was done in the pubs and clubs close by.

If COVID19 was only passed on by people showing obvious symptoms, then, maybe, a decision to reopen pubs could be justified on the grounds that the person thinking of staying in a pub could make an informed decision as to whether it was dangerous, but it isn't. It wouldn't surprise me if outdoor sports stadiums are allowed to open before pubs - it would be a brave or reckless Government that opened pubs in the next few months in my opinion.

There will come a tipping point when we [ Joe public] will just accept the small risks out there and get on with living a life - friends, dating, pubs, sport, meals out, holidays. However, the Govt. will probably continue to try and organize and control peoples' lives for as long as they can

I cant see pubs opening this year.

Unless theres a major breakthrough.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    There will come a tipping point when we [ Joe public] will just accept the small risks out there and get on with living a life - friends, dating, pubs, sport, meals out, holidays. However, the Govt. will probably continue to try and organize and control peoples' lives for as long as they can
    Yes your right.

Im.due to go abroad August. I wont be going because I cant. If they say I can i will go.

I cant play or watch football. If given the green light I will do both.

Yep pubs - they open im going.

I dont see them as small risks at the moment. So i expect all to be shut off to me for many months to come.

The problem is Bob that argument can be used against any disease that's infectable and can be asymptomatic / symptoms don't show for a time period.

Chickenpox, for example? Ok, low chance an adult hasn't had exposure to it but it's a quick and easy example to use. Adult may have it, go to pub and potentially pass on to others who aren't immune.

No.

The UK Prime Minister should not be allowing places to open but saying stay out of them.

Its not the danger to the individual its the effect of catching it and passing it on and it spreading.

its what the swedish PM is doing, exactly that

International

No.

That is just silly.

What does that mean? Who is the individual and why it is not a danger to him? Is the person catcing it not an individual? Is the person passing it on not an individual? What is the difference between going to work and catching it, passing it on etc and going to the pub and doing it? The only difference is that someone with the need to work and earn money must go to work but if he so chooses he does not 'have' to go to the pub.
    When they open pubs its got to be safe not just for those that use them
    How would pubs be not safe to people who don't go to them? that defeats me completely. The people who owrk in them and deliver stock to them will be doing what other people are doing every day now, and like the customers they can choose to do it or not. Publicans and their staff need to be allowed to go back to work just like everybody else.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    How can you still not understand how it works? People going to pubs makes it more likely other people will get it. It isn't just the individual who goes to the pub who'll get it, it's potentially anyone they interact with for the next 2 weeks.

This is why the "restrictions" didn't work at first because pubs, restaurants and gyms were open but people were being told maybe it was best not to go to them.
    I know how it works dummy. If people can do all the other things they will be permitted to do after lockdown is lifted the powers-that be will struggle to convince the average working man/woman that they cannot go to the pub. And if they continue to refuse permission for pubs to open they will destroy an industry which is already under threat anyway and which is part of a great majority of the nromal day to day life of british people.

Professor @AllysonPollock: “We wrote to the gov’t to ask why, despite WHO guidance to isolate for 14 days, they were recommending only 7. Their reply relied on the advice they have received, which of course they have not shared with us.”

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/statu...86173455679488
    Quote from the "Independent Sage" meeting which can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFLA...ature=youtu.be

Allyson Pollock is Professor Allyson Pollock, co-director of the Newcastle University Centre for Excellence in Regulatory Science. Sir David King (name most linked with meeting in papers, but not only name involved) is former chief scientific adviser to UK government.

The WHO are saying one thing, the UK government are saying another and the only explanation is "we follow the science." At what point do we in the UK get to find out what's being said and by whom?