+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 90 of 350 FirstFirst ... 408081828384858687888990919293949596979899100140190 ... LastLast
Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 8745

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

God I wished I lived in Denmark. Light years ahead of our buffoons in Wales

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    On a Positive note looks like the Heath hospital has resumed normal service by looking at the amount of cars parked up and people walking in today....
    Well, NHS staff aren't at significantly higher risk despite political claims to the opposite. Normal service should resume where possible.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-11/...rtain-key-job/

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    It's being widely touted that Chancellor Sunak will announce later today that the furloughed workers scheme will be extended to September but recipients will receive 60% of their earnings instead of the current 80%.

Coronavirus: Chancellor expected to extend furlough scheme to September, but cut it to 60% of earnings - https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...nings-11986807

Furloughed workers to get 60% of their salary until September - https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/12/furlo...mber-12688960/
    Starving the commoners back to work? A classic tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    Well, NHS staff aren't at significantly higher risk despite political claims to the opposite. Normal service should resume where possible.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-11/...rtain-key-job/
    Isn't it that they're at higher risk of getting it just if they get it they have the same mortality rate as the majority. So I don't think the political claims are wrong in that sense.

I'd be interesting why people in those jobs have a higher mortality rate?
    Some are quite sedantry jobs? Some are morel likely to have older men? Some might expose them to a higher viral load?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Isn't it that they're at higher risk of getting it just if they get it they have the same mortality rate as the majority. So I don't think the political claims are wrong in that sense.

I'd be interesting why people in those jobs have a higher mortality rate?
    Some are quite sedantry jobs? Some are morel likely to have older men? Some might expose them to a higher viral load?
    Exactly, we know that men are more vulnerable. There's so much that isn't known - we know BAME, male deaths are higher - may be genetics, who knows?

Chancellor has just announced that furlough scheme is to be extended to October.

Same terms until end of June. More flexibility allowing some part term working, employers to share some of the cost but employees will still get 80% up to £2,500. I'm saying this from memory so don't take it as gospel.

More detail to be published later.

I think it is generally recognised that Sunak has been probably the most impressive member of the cabinet during the crisis ( not difficulty I know some of you will say!!).

Would not be at all surprised to see a changing of the guard in the next couple of years with Boris stepping down (possibly following a heavy hint from the men in grey suits) and Sunak moving up.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Starving the commoners back to work? A classic tactic.
    For ‘widely touted’ read ‘inaccurately and wrongly speculated’.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Chancellor has just announced that furlough scheme is to be extended to October.

Same terms until end of June. More flexibility allowing some part term working, employers to share some of the cost but employees will still get 80% up to £2,500. I'm saying this from memory so don't take it as gospel.

I think it is generally recognised that Sunak has been probably the most impressive member of the cabinet during the crisis ( not difficulty I know some of you will say!!).

Would not be at all surprised to see a changing of the guard in the next couple of years with Boris stepping down (possibly following a heavy hint from the men in grey suits) and Sunak moving up.
    It's going to very uncertain from July, once businesses are expected to contribute they will have absolutely no reason to keep those they deem easy to replace on the books.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So much of politics is built around a struggle between prioritising money and people. As someone who sides with the latter option naturally, I can see that there has to be an emphasis on the money side as well, but when it comes to a choice, people should win out on the vast majority of occasions. So much of the policy making with the virus is down to a question of balancing the money v people argument and I can accept that the money side of things cannot be put off indefinitely while full concentration is given to as few people as possible dying.
    I don't think it's quite as simple as money v people. Life for almost everyone has been hugely affected by the restrictions that have been imposed in a bid to conquer Covid-19 despite the fact that the vast majority of the population stand little or no chance of either falling seriously ill or dying as a result of the virus.

By and large, I think most people have thus far taken the restrictions in good faith and have reacted pretty well under the circumstances. However, it's blatantly obvious that society simply can't go on operating like this indefinitely. The economy is clearly a huge factor in how things will work going forward, but so is the way in which we want to live our lives.

He's a new boy, so he's got no baggage which helps him, but I agree - from what I've seen so far, he does have an air of authority which to my, admittedly biased, eyes, his Cabinet colleagues tend to lack and he looks a future leader of the party, and probably the country, currently.

Good news that the furlough scheme is to be extended - I would think the extension comes with the hope that it will not cost as much in the next four months as it has in its first two.

International

I just saw on the BBC that in Wales and Mr Gethin said that 42,000 people had been tested and 11,000 tests proved positive.
    This means something like a quarter of the population appears to have the virus. clearly not all of those a critically ill or even hospitalised so is this figure actually a good thing in disguise?
    The other factor is that the people being tested are in high risk circumstances but until testing they may still have infected others not i not at high risk.
    Does it tend to prove that the vast majority of people get it only mildly and also does it mean that with far more people getting it and recovering without hospitalisation that more and more will have the antibodies which (hopefully) will prevent them getting it again and there there will be fewer people from whom we can then catch it?
    The number seems high but is it a good thing in the long term or a bad thing?
    Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I just saw on the BBC that in Wales and Mr Gethin said that 42,000 people had been tested and 11,000 tests proved positive. This means something like a quarter of the population appears to have the virus.....
    Don't be daft.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    For ‘widely touted’ read ‘inaccurately and wrongly speculated’.
    Not entirely

Sunak - "Until the end of July there will be no changes whatsoever, then from August to October the scheme will continue".

How widely the idea was reported would also imply that the government allowed the press to release the news, saw the negative reaction, and decided against it

I just saw on the BBC that in Wales and Mr Gethin said that 42,000 people had been tested and 11,000 tests proved positive.
    This means something like a quarter of the population appears to have the virus. clearly not all of those a critically ill or even hospitalised so is this figure actually a good thing in disguise?
    The other factor is that the people being tested are in high risk circumstances but until testing they may still have infected others not i not at high risk.
    Does it tend to prove that the vast majority of people get it only mildly and also does it mean that with far more people getting it and recovering without hospitalisation that more and more will have the antibodies which (hopefully) will prevent them getting it again and there there will be fewer people from whom we can then catch it?
    The number seems high but is it a good thing in the long term or a bad thing?
    Any thoughts?
    I don’t think that means that a quarter of people have it or had it. It just means they’ve tested people that are expected to have it or are high risk and a quarter of them have it. I don’t think it tells you a lot tbh.

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Don't be daft.
    lol but I just wonder if they can use that figure to project the probable infection across the board. 25% of those tested have it and as I said they are in what are rated as high risk, but can the clinicians/advisors use that figure to look at the whole population?
    If (as they now appear to think) someone whop has had it cannot get it again, at least in the short term there will gradually be less and less of the population at risk. I was just wondering if the can work out the probably time line to a point where they consider it under complete control

lol but I just wonder if they can use that figure to project the probable infection across the board. 25% of those tested have it and as I said they are in what are rated as high risk, but can the clinicians/advisors use that figure to look at the whole population?
    I'm pretty sure the 42,000 in Wales who have been tested will have been health workers, care workers, the emergency services, people in hospital, people in care homes, etc. And I suspect a significant percentage of those people will have had to be displaying symptoms in order to get tested in the first place.

Random members of the public with no symptoms haven't been tested. Therefore, the figures you quoted are highly unlikely to be in any way accurate as regards the general population.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    It's going to very uncertain from July, once businesses are expected to contribute they will have absolutely no reason to keep those they deem easy to replace on the books.
    On the flip side it might give some businesses / employees the mudge they need to get off their arse and start looking further than their nose.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    He's a new boy, so he's got no baggage which helps him, but I agree - from what I've seen so far, he does have an air of authority which to my, admittedly biased, eyes, his Cabinet colleagues tend to lack and he looks a future leader of the party, and probably the country, currently.

Good news that the furlough scheme is to be extended - I would think the extension comes with the hope that it will not cost as much in the next four months as it has in its first two.
    I think people are over-egging Shunaks appeal as a future leader. Hes the one cabinet member giving out good news at the moment, hes not had the difficult ride off the people and the media that his colleagues have had.

Yes, hes articulating better than his colleagues, christ thats not difficult, but hes not under the same scrutiny.

Can't be true.

Media, left all saying it was going o be cut to 60%... surely they didn't lie for political capital?

International

I'm pretty sure the 42,000 in Wales who have been tested will have been health workers, care workers, the emergency services, people in hospital, people in care homes, etc. And I suspect a significant percentage of those people will have had to be displaying symptoms in order to get tested in the first place.

Random members of the public with no symptoms haven't been tested. Therefore, the figures you quoted are highly unlikely to be in any way accurate as regards the general population.
    Yes I acknowledged they would be in high risk occupations, it is just that it still seems high.

Unless they are Piers Morgan, an "essential worker" who got a test with no symptoms and a result the next day. Or Idris Elba, another "essential worker".

Yes I acknowledged they would be in high risk occupations, it is just that it still sems high.
    Yet there are higher risk occupations than NHS.

Unless they are Piers Morgan, an "essential worker" who got a test with no symptoms and a result the next day. Or Idris Elba, another "essential worker".
    Those well-known Welsh residents Piers Morgan and Idris Elba?

International

What I read was not that, but that there were higher rates of infection in other occupations. The reason given was that although NHS workers are in high risk environments that have a higher level of protection generally than people in other risk occupations.
    the arcticle I read actually suggested that the infection rate amongst NHS workers is about the same percentage as in the general population.

I don't think there are many occupations that have higher risk of infection tbh.