+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Maybe yes, but balanced against how many people back then thought it was a fuss over nothing (let alone now) it would never have worked.
    Can you really see millions of people locking themselves away for twelve weeks at any time? Judging by what France are doing, I think it's not just the elderly and the vulnerable that will be expected to do it soon - people will start off with good intentions, but will soon start rebelling and risking whatever punishment they'll be threatened with.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Can you really see millions of people locking themselves away for twelve weeks at any time? Judging by what France are doing, I think it's not just the elderly and the vulnerable that will be expected to do it soon - people will start off with good intentions, but will soon start rebelling and risking whatever punishment they'll be threatened with.
    I honestly don't think our Govt. - or any govt. for that matter - seriously expects the 12/14 weeks quarantine to be maintained. My hunch is they're hoping for something like 2 weeks before everyone starts 'breaking out'. Much better than telling people it's going to be 2 weeks and then seeing people on the streets after 2/3 days.

If I'm wrong and the timescales are accurate, there won't be anything left to return to - jobs, business, economy, nothing..

Has anyone read the Imperial College study? It can be found here: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...16-03-2020.pdf

The major challenge of suppression is that this type of intensive intervention package – or something equivalently effective at reducing transmission – will need to be maintained until a vaccine becomes available (potentially 18 months or more) – given that we predict that transmission will quickly rebound if interventions are relaxed.
    There are hundreds of thousands of very worried people who can't financially support themselves for any real length of time (see majority of the self-employed, lower wages, or single parent families) and we've just had 10 years of cuts to services that are now going to be relied on.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Has anyone read the Imperial College study? It can be found here: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...16-03-2020.pdf

There are hundreds of thousands of very worried people who can't financially support themselves for any real length of time (see majority of the self-employed, lower wages, or single parent families) and we've just had 10 years of cuts to services that are now going to be relied on.
    I don't think you have to fall into those categories to be worried. People earning a good wage atm can lose their jobs at any moment and 18 months would be tough.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I honestly don't think our Govt. - or any govt. for that matter - seriously expects the 12/14 weeks quarantine to be maintained. My hunch is they're hoping for something like 2 weeks before everyone starts 'breaking out'. Much better than telling people it's going to be 2 weeks and then seeing people on the streets after 2/3 days.

If I'm wrong and the timescales are accurate, there won't be anything left to return to - jobs, business, economy, nothing..

Quarantine cannot last more than 2 weeks. We have 2 Bank holidays in April, and another 2 in May. They can combine all 4 into one week - maybe add in the August Bank Holiday too. Five days. They could then force people to take a week annual leave, and enforce a quarantine. Enough time for people to sit at home, show symptoms, recover or show no symptoms at all. Theoretically, and with borders closed, that should be the end of cases developed in the country. The next issue then is who to re-open borders to. I'd say only to countries that have had no reported cases for 14 days.

Isolation is the main weapon, I think. Like you say, if it is more than that - even with home working, many people will be out of work.