+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 60 of 350 FirstFirst ... 10505152535455565758596061626364656667686970110160 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 8745

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    Difference being, trampie, UK government had been through it before as a result were aware of the issues and consequences. It's always easier to deal effectively a second time round, learning from the past.
    So essentially Brown could almost have been forgiven had he stayed on holiday being that the systems were in place to deal with it.

But with a brand new, unprecedented crisis which by your own admission is less easy to effectively deal with, then the PM should have immediately cut short his holiday and come back to chair the COBRA meetings, like Brown did in 2007 despite the fact it was a known and previously managed danger?

For his biggest fan you don't half manage to accidentally make Johnson look like a crap Prime Minister

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    Difference being, trampie, UK government had been through it before as a result were aware of the issues and consequences. It's always easier to deal effectively a second time round, learning from the past.
    It just goes to show how inept the Conservatives are that even when they knew that a previously unheard deadly virus was on the loose they were still found wanting.

According to the ONS there were around 6,200 COVID 19 related deaths in the week 3-10 April with a sixth of them occurring outside hospitals - add on the figures from previous weeks and I think it's safe to say that the total figure we hear quoted so often on news programmes is probably in the region of 1,500 light of what it really is.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52361519

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    So essentially Brown could almost have been forgiven had he stayed on holiday being that the systems were in place to deal with it.

But with a brand new, unprecedented crisis which by your own admission is less easy to effectively deal with, then the PM should have immediately cut short his holiday and come back to chair the COBRA meetings, like Brown did in 2007 despite the fact it was a known and previously managed danger?

For his biggest fan you don't half manage to accidentally make Johnson look like a crap Prime Minister
    Slam dunk! Hole in one! One hundred and eighty! Game, set and match!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Slam dunk! Hole in one! One hundred and eighty! Game, set and match!
    Ippon

International

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    The question is what did the PM do when there was a potential national crisis in 2007? Answer was cut short his holiday immediately to chair COBRA meetings. Same question for now, answer is stayed on holiday and missed 5 of them.

The fact Brown dropped everything when it was an easily contained issue and Johnson didn't when it was an impossible to contain issue isn't an argument in your favour, you've just destroyed your own argument further
    just playing devil's asdvocate her but if it was impossible to contain, then shirley there was no point in rushing back was there?

I'll get my coat!!

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

Should I post updates of the graphs with rolling averages?

Seems this thread might aswell be moved to the squabble over political bs forum......needs to get back on track I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Seems this thread might aswell be moved to the squabble over political bs forum......needs to get back on track I feel.
    totally agree.

What does "back on track" look like. The OP highlighted 14 top far corner theories, most of which had or have subsequently been replayed on this Board. Are you saying this meandering thread should go back to examine the merits of those theories?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    What does "back on track" look like. The OP highlighted 14 top far corner theories, most of which had or have subsequently been replayed on this Board. Are you saying this meandering thread should go back to examine the merits of those theories?
    I see another conspiracy theory would appear to have bitten the dust with the WHO saying all of the available evidence points to the virus originating in bats and not in a laboratory.

I dont care what party were in power mistakes were bound to take place with cv. To stand on the sidelines and have a go is easy and not helping anyone.

International

seems like some good news for a change. This from the BBC rolling updates:

17:26
    Analysis: England may have reached peak on 8 April

Nick Triggle

Health Correspondent

For the past few weeks it has looked like the number of deaths may be slowing, but it has been hard to call with deaths going down one day, then up the next.

But a new analysis now suggests the peak may have been passed nearly two weeks ago.

The daily figures released by government represent when deaths are recorded, not when they happened.

On Monday the figure announced was less than 500, but on Tuesday it jumped to over 800.

But some of those deaths relate to fatalities that happened weeks ago. NHS England has started compiling deaths by date they happened.

A clear trend emerges – at least in England - the peak seemed to have happened on 8 April.

Coronavirus deaths in hospitals in England
    BBCCopyright: BBC
    Article share tools

ShareView more share options
    Copy this link
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/busi...ost_type=share

Read more about these links.

Posted at 17:2517:25
    New infections 'remain high'
    Dr Van-Tam is speaking about key trends in the statistical data relating to social distancing, new infections, hospital admissions, weekly death rates and global comparisons.

In terms of new recorded cases, the deputy chief medical officer says there are clearly day-to-day variations.

But he points out that the numbers “remain high” and there has not been an “enormous downturn” in the rate – suggesting that the UK is still facing a “situation of danger”.

He goes on to suggest that the number of people in hospital with the virus in London peaked on 10 April and has since continued to fall.

But he says there is not similar evidence that this is happening elsewhere in the UK, adding that there is currently a plateau and while he expects the curve to fall, this is not yet taking place.

He talks about the difference between the number of people recorded as having died with the virus in hospitals and the number of fatalities in all settings, including care homes - a gap illustrated by figures from the Office for National Statistics earlier.

He says people need to be “very careful” about comparing the two figures – saying “We are not comparing apples with apples, we are comparing apples with pears.”

Van Tam seemed to be trying to make it sound like we were nowhere near the peak which is a big departure form the normal, 'we are winning' kind of remarks. It was as if he was trying to down-play any expectations the figures might raise. Thast in itself must give reason for hope.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I see another conspiracy theory would appear to have bitten the dust with the WHO saying all of the available evidence points to the virus originating in bats and not in a laboratory.
    Ah, but George Soros/The Illuminati/Globalists/Chinese Government/Royal Lizards infected the bats on purpose!

FT now estimating 41k CV deaths in the UK so far

https://www.ft.com/content/67e6a4ee-...3-e239799fa6ab

Quote Originally Posted by Veg1960 View Post
    FT now estimating 41k CV deaths in the UK so far

https://www.ft.com/content/67e6a4ee-...3-e239799fa6ab
    Deaths due to it or because of it? I’m sure plenty are dieing of stress related heart issues, strokes or cancer now, suicide even.

Deaths due to it or because of it? I’m sure plenty are dieing of stress related heart issues, strokes or cancer now, suicide even.
    From the article

Prof Spiegelhalter said that coronavirus was not given as the cause on many of the death certificates but was likely to be a direct or indirect factor. He said many doctors would initially have been reluctant to designate the virus as the cause on death certificates as it was a new disease and they could not have been certain.

Some of those who died from other causes may have been too scared to attend hospital or did not want to be a burden on the health service so they could be seen as possible indirect victims of the virus, he argued. But he added, the sheer number of deaths caused by the virus meant, “there is no suggestion that the collateral damage — however large it is — is anything like as big as the harm from Covid”.

Only have to travel into work 2 days a week and the difference in traffic and people milling about from yesterday to two weeks prior was noticeable.

Of course compared to any usual circumstances its very quiet but there seemed more traffic about.

I walked through Bute Park to get to work and particularly in the way home there were plenty sitting around on benches, few groups of youths hanging about together. Far more leisurely cycling about.

The amount of people that despite having the full width of the path will still pass by quite close is baffling.

The local asda two weeks ago at the same time was having a greater control over the amount of people allowed in. Yesterday although the lanes were still there, there was no one controlling the numbers entering. There were also a couple of families and a fair few couples which I don't think was the case two weeks back.

I suppose with the supermarkets they probably make their own decisions in how to best interpret the guidelines but it seemed to myself there was more of a let up in people in general.

Novelty of lockdown wears off quickly I guess.

BuT thE WhO IS a ConSPirACy Run bY StALin, SoROs aNd CoRbYn!!!!

And so on

Quote Originally Posted by valley boy View Post
    I dont care what party were in power mistakes were bound to take place with cv. To stand on the sidelines and have a go is easy and not helping anyone.
    By "stand on the sidelines and have a go" do you mean hold the government to account?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    By "stand on the sidelines and have a go" do you mean hold the government to account?
    No i mean taking cheap shots for political gain.
    i would like to see a multi party government to tackle this crisis but there again i cannot not think of too many on the opposition benches being capable enough to be part of it.Maybe that remark is uncalled for but i honestly think its a case of dammed if you do dammed if you dont.
    The media seem to revel in painting as black a picture as they can and to jump on anything negative and blow it right up.
    yes mistakes have been made but not intentionally and I dont see anybody doing any better.

i would like to see a multi party government to tackle this crisis but there again i cannot not think of too many on the opposition benches being capable enough to be part of it.Maybe that remark is uncalled for but i honestly think its a case of dammed if you do dammed if you dont.
    The media seem to revel in painting as black a picture as they can and to jump on anything negative and blow it right up.
    yes mistakes have been made but not intentionally and I dont see anybody doing any better.
    Cheap shots for political gain?

According to the ONS there were around 6,200 COVID 19 related deaths in the week 3-10 April with a sixth of them occurring outside hospitals - add on the figures from previous weeks and I think it's safe to say that the total figure we hear quoted so often on news programmes is probably in the region of 1,500 light of what it really is.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52361519
    You are correct in what you say but many people (media and otherwise) appear to be insinuating that the Government is deliberately under reporting the deaths for some reason. This is clearly ridiculous and inaccurate - hospital data is a standard way of analysing and reporting around the world in pandemics such as this. The data is available daily and gives an accurate indication of how the pandemic is progressing in relation to day to day trends, so that it can all be fully analysed by the scientists/medics and advised upon. No one has ever said that it was a full and accurate record of total deaths and infections. The more detailed data including care home and other deaths is much more difficult and slower to collate - usually fortnightly or weekly although they appear to be trying to speed this up. Can you imagine the furore if the Government only released figures every two weeks !.

Also anyone who has ever been anywhere near a care home knows that they are a hot bed of infections and viruses at the best of times, with most having to be regularly closed to visitors. In a pandemic they were always, sadly, going to be a place where the virus could easily spread, with many associated deaths. The people in them usually have illnesses, live in close proximity to each other and many of them unfortunately are not sufficiently aware to be able to practice social distancing.

That is the second post today I've seen claiming not to take sides but then takes sides, lol.