Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
There are certain kinds of folks who think that pubs are 'the devil's work' and by and large they tend to be people of a certain kind, religious in a very strict way, or just dour and miserable themselves, products of strict wesleyan type upbringings who tend to think that if someone is enjoying himself its not good. It sounds silly but it is actually true. There are several people just like it in Llandaff where I live who have stopped the local club (which is sponsored by the cathedral) and the pub playing live music (so the club cannot now do wedding receptions for example) tried to shut the local Chinese restaurant and stopped a takeaway from selling kebabs on the pretext it would attract the "wrong kind" most of the members of Llandaff council are of this ilk.. There are people who call the police and complain bout the pubs regularly. When one of the publicans changed a frosted glass window for a sheet glass one to let more light in he was made to replace the frosted glass so "Respectable people passing by didn't have to see men drinking".
Sadly these people seem to be person who can influence the powers that be to do their bidding. Two of the people who do it in Llandaff are high court judges.
I agree with you that they are just like Gyms etc which will also be amongst the last to re open but you don't really need a gym to exercise but you do need a pub in a community context. Whether an individual chooses to attend is for him or her.
I will not hold my breath on pubs reopening in Wales until there are so many day trips to England that it becomes silly.

Sadly these people do actually exist!! Just my opinion as I say. And its not a debating point, but lets wait and see.
No-one has denied that such people exist. What we have questioned is the reasoning behind your assertion that such people have a disproportionate amount of power in Wales.

It is odd that you think a gym is not needed to exercise. In fact, a gym is just as essential in a community context. It is a social setting too.

Do you think that the virus is less likely to be transmitted in a pub setting than it is in a gym (for example)?