+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I've wondered that myself. Surely it's cheaper and quicker than developing from scratch? I guess it would need to be adapted to fit a different countries laws, etc. but the technology isn't going to be a problem. Just about everyone is on android or apple.
    I suggested this at the time and got shouted down for it

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Boris and co are currently struggling in my opinion, maybe too cavalier whereas Drakeford is also struggling maybe too cautious. Many on this board will have a go at the Torys whatever they do so there is a built in bias. Ive tried to be balanced in my comments and sometimes get shouted down. England track and trace is not fit for purpose, same as ours, and its an example of why all sides have been bloody useless.

To be fair to Boris he is trying to get the economy going again, and it looks as if opening town centre stores has been popular. Whether it will be a success in Wales, when for example the catchment area for Cardiff City centre shops will be restricted to five miles who knows? I was amazed to see Ken Skates on TV news yesterday saying that although Drakeford told the non essential shops to get ready to open on 22 June three weeks ago, they will not announce whether they can or not until Friday. It all depends on the R level.

Im sure you can imagine the work that will have gone into preparing to re-open the big Cardiff stores, pulling staff in, stock, social distancing procedures...and then it might all be blown away on Friday. Shows a total disregard for the economy of Wales, its people, and points to an off the cuff approach to things by the Senedd

As for the 5 mile, non scientific travel restrictions, its akin to herding large parts of Wales into their local hotspots, where we have to co-exist within places like Cardiff, Merthyr, RCT, Anglesey, Denbigh...no wonder the incidence in each keeps bubbling along. Whereas if you live within 5 miles of England anywhere along our 160 mile long border you can travel throughout England, shop, camp (from July 4), visit any beach. Its just a nonsense.

And don't say its for our own good because we all know the we have many of the worse hotspots in the UK.

Drakeford's needs to get an urgent grip on things and give the population of Wales a clear understanding of how things will ease together with dates.

On a personal note, like many Id like to see my family in Chepstow, I'd like to get my haircut, Id like to visit the dentist, Id like to book a campsite in Wales, ...just an indication of when this might happen would help us all.

And as a final personal note, my wife had a problem with a tooth. Her local dentist in Cardiff gave advice over the phone and recommended do it yourself cement filling. We tried it and failed. Currently nothing else can be done for her in Wales. So we found a dentist in Gloucestershire who thinks he can sort it. It needs an initial assessment, plus probably four visits to get the job done. Where is the scientific evidence that its oK to practice as a dentist in England but not in Wales. And don't say its to do with the R level, because apparently we have the lowest in the UK.

Five trips to England to get a tooth fixed...and yes we can travel because in Wales you can travel to visit health services not available locally.

And Drakeford's got much of the population of Wales thinking this sort of thing is normal and sensible?
    Give us a break.
    On the other hand, countries that are coming out of this situation the best are those who have been most cautious, who have been the strictest. Are you suggesting it is wrong to try and guard against a second wave? To me it seems as if England has decided to let anyone do what they want, go back to the herd immunity plan without actually calling it that, and will monitor that for spikes in R. Wales seems to be trying to control R to avoid spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    The Dentist thing is one of the most annoying, what is the difference between one in Bristol or Cardiff? It’s complete farce and why many have lost faith in Drakeford. I suffer with gum disease I must of inherited, I need them deep cleaned every few months, lost 2 in the last few years and might well lose another now. Looks like I might have to go to Bristol for a clean!
    The most annoying this is he can’t lay out a plan like say NI have done, so at least we can all make some plans for what might happen, ie like getting away for a week in July or August. The R rate is slowly falling in Wales so surely the brains behind him can see where it’s going. Apparently, he’s told caravan parks they can take bookings from July 10 but this should be made common knowledge else it will cause chaos if he announces it one Friday lunchtime, you can all go away now from Monday folks.....can you imagine the M4 gridlock?
    Are all dentists not opening in Cardiff.

You can get an appointment in Aberdare.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Are all dentists not opening in Cardiff.

You can get an appointment in Aberdare.
    If you need a tooth removed maybe! I know what that’s like.....I just need the part where my teeth get the bugs scraped out so I don’t actually lose anymore teeeth

Banned

It's interesting that, of most of the critics of the Drakeford approach, most need to go to the dentist. A colleague of mine visited a dentist in Bridgend with no issues at all. I also believe that dental practices in Bristol are not taking patients from outside the city - certainly the two I just called up to research the claims above said they were only taking patients that were registered with them, and from the BS postcode.

Drakeford's had the easiest possible ride in the local media. His policies or lack of them show a blatant ignorance and disregard for the local economy and how it's going to impact on people here, and he seems to take delight in his new-found power and authority. But what really takes the biscuit is last night's local news. Someone chap who's the "Welsh Economy Minister" warning about the damage to the economy a sudden halt in furloughing would cause.
    Drakeford currently presides over the lowest R rate in the country, and borders, to the South East, an area of England where the R rate is around 1.0. I appreciate the 5 mile radius seems unscientific to some, but far from herding people into hot spots, it is preventing the virus from spreading to other areas - particularly more rural and isolated areas that get inundated with visitors at this time of year.

International

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    It's interesting that, of most of the critics of the Drakeford approach, most need to go to the dentist. A colleague of mine visited a dentist in Bridgend with no issues at all. I also believe that dental practices in Bristol are not taking patients from outside the city - certainly the two I just called up to research the claims above said they were only taking patients that were registered with them, and from the BS postcode.

Drakeford currently presides over the lowest R rate in the country, and borders, to the South East, an area of England where the R rate is around 1.0. I appreciate the 5 mile radius seems unscientific to some, but far from herding people into hot spots, it is preventing the virus from spreading to other areas - particularly more rural and isolated areas that get inundated with visitors at this time of year.
    Clifton dental: 0117 973 7444

Heisenberg

Think so as that's why the Torys won a majority at the General Elections. The country wants it done

Does Covid matter...of course it does big time, but lots of EU countries are getting back to normal and set to pull in the tourists, and no reason why EU negotiations can't be accelerated.

EU seems determined, even at this stage, to read us like a colonial outback, subservient to them and their laws.

Andy Gregory
    17 June 2020 15:10
    48 minutes ago
    Boris Johnson to spend nearly £1m on turning 'Brexit jet' red white and blue

The RAF Voyager aircraft, which is currently a shade of grey, is being refurbished at an airport in Cambridge, our Whitehall editor Kate Devlin reports.

Downing Street say the final cost of the rebrand, designed to “promote the UK around the world”, will be around £900,000. Opposition MPs accused the prime minister of an “utterly unacceptable use of public funds”.

The move comes two years after Mr Johnson questioned the colour of the Voyager and said he needed his own plane to aid the UK’s post-Brexit trade deals.

Get Brexit Jet Done!

International

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Andy Gregory
    17 June 2020 15:10
    48 minutes ago
    Boris Johnson to spend nearly £1m on turning 'Brexit jet' red white and blue

The RAF Voyager aircraft, which is currently a shade of grey, is being refurbished at an airport in Cambridge, our Whitehall editor Kate Devlin reports.

Downing Street say the final cost of the rebrand, designed to “promote the UK around the world”, will be around £900,000. Opposition MPs accused the prime minister of an “utterly unacceptable use of public funds”.

The move comes two years after Mr Johnson questioned the colour of the Voyager and said he needed his own plane to aid the UK’s post-Brexit trade deals.

Get Brexit Jet Done!
    A bit silly but in the great scheme of things at that level 1 Million is chicken feed.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    They are getting through the really important stuff pretty quickly - repainting the Prime Minister's plane (£900k and rising), abolishing the Dept of International Development, and claiming that no one in government knew anything about the case for extending kids' food vouchers into the summer holidays until Matt Hancock tripped over a 'Daniel' Rashford tweet yesterday! Impressive stuff!
    Meanwhile.

You can argue however you like about the 2019 election. All who were entitled to vote could have. Everyone knew the rules, a lot decided not to vote, maybe because they didn't care. Who will ever know.
    You are absolutely right and that’s an indication of just how stupid the British public is, unfortunately.

I think I’m right in saying you voted for Brexit, and then for Boris and his cabinet of fools. Indeed, we’d almost certainly never have had the latter without the former, so well done you. Good choices. It’s all working out so well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    You are absolutely right and that’s an indication of just how stupid the British public is, unfortunately.

I think I’m right in saying you voted for Brexit, and then for Boris and his cabinet of fools. Indeed, we’d almost certainly never have had the latter without the former, so well done you. Good choices. It’s all working out so well.

The British public in your opinion are stupid. That’s reality. And as for Boris and his bunch, at the time of the election the head of the opposition was hardly going to be our saviour, so given the choice maybe the public are not that stupid

The British public in your opinion are stupid. That’s reality. And as for Boris and his bunch, at the time of the election the head of the opposition was hardly going to be our saviour, so given the choice maybe the public are not that stupid
    Nobody will ever know if another PM would have been our saviour but what we do know for certain is that this Johnson bloke is a complete failure, we’ve nothing else to go on but I reckon we have the knowledge that it would be damn hard for anyone in the hot seat to be any worse, the evidence is plain to see.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

If you voted brexit then you might aswell have voted Tory anyway, the Tories played on this slim majority to great affect to win the election. Turning over labour strongholds who decided they wanted brexit so turned. Which is why I voted to remain and didn’t bother for the election, it was a forgone conclusion....I guess you reap what you sow.

If you voted brexit then you might aswell have voted Tory anyway, the Tories played on this slim majority to great affect to win the election. Turning over labour strongholds who decided they wanted brexit so turned. Which is why I voted to remain and didn’t bother for the election, it was a forgone conclusion....I guess you reap what you sow.

For good or bad, that’s democracy

Lies, lies and more damn lies I call it........and the gullible fell for it to the detriment of all.

The public decided they wanted Brexit in 2016. Boris won in 2019 because he promised to deliver it when both the then leaders of Tory and Labour were dithering

The public decided they wanted Brexit in 2016. Boris won in 2019 because he promised to deliver it when both the then leaders of Tory and Labour were dithering
    I agree, corbyn appeared to dither more than anyone so god knows what state we’d be in with this virus if he had won, but then we will never know.....

I agree, corbyn appeared to dither more than anyone so god knows what state we’d be in with this virus if he had won, but then we will never know.....
    Meanwhile :

A health economist from Swansea University said that, in hindsight, spending £166m on 46 patients was "not a good use of limited resources".
    Prof Ceri Phillips said: "Elective operations were cancelled, the level of demand was reduced, out-patients was reorganised so people weren't coming into hospital."

How many have deaths have occurred in Wales where Covid was present ? 2300? We have well passed the stage where deaths from lack of operations, delays in diagnosis, treatment, attendance in Hospitals, have far exceeded CV19 -influence deaths.

The current lot appear to have handled it worse than any other ruling party anywhere in the world - most deaths per capita and most financial distress.

The tories (especially the current lot) are the party of business, and always think about business interests ahead of people. They also want to see state "interference" minimised due to their dogmatic beliefs that the free market is always more efficient.

I think labour, especially the left of it, would have been much less reluctant to apply an early lockdown, which looking at other countries tells us would probably have saved tens of thousands of lives and made the financial impact much less.
    Of course the newspapers would have been extremely critical of whatever Corbyn would have done.

It definitely ain't for good so where does that leave us?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Meanwhile :

A health economist from Swansea University said that, in hindsight, spending £166m on 46 patients was "not a good use of limited resources".
    Prof Ceri Phillips said: "Elective operations were cancelled, the level of demand was reduced, out-patients was reorganised so people weren't coming into hospital."

How many have deaths have occurred in Wales where Covid was present ? 2300? We have well passed the stage where deaths from lack of operations, delays in diagnosis, treatment, attendance in Hospitals, have far exceeded CV19 -influence deaths.
    What is your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    What is your point?
    Monkfish is saying, quite rightly, that decisions should be made with the full knowledge of what is to come. It's absolutely disgusting that they planned for a situation that didn't even happen. What a waste of taxpayers money. If we're not funding them for their precog ability, what are we funding them for? It's like Minority Report never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Monkfish is saying, quite rightly, that decisions should be made with the full knowledge of what is to come. It's absolutely disgusting that they planned for a situation that didn't even happen. What a waste of taxpayers money. If we're not funding them for their precog ability, what are we funding them for? It's like Minority Report never happened.
    I thought he was saying that it was all a big drama and more people would die by worrying about it rather than with it, its tiny compared with the flu which was the line at the time. So the facilities were never going to be needed.

Or conversely the modelling has been shit and if we locked down a couple of weeks later when the R had gone from 3.5 to something much higher the hospitals could have been overwhelmed and we would have got a far better bang for buck out of the temporary facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I thought he was saying that it was all a big drama and more people would die by worrying about it rather than with it, its tiny compared with the flu which was the line at the time. So the facilities were never going to be needed.

Or conversely the modelling has been shit and if we locked down a couple of weeks later when the R had gone from 3.5 to something much higher the hospitals could have been overwhelmed and we would have got a far better bang for buck out of the temporary facilities.
    If only we could have seen what happened in other countries first.

I don’t know if Corbyn would have locked down sooner, we will never know. It’s easy looking back but we are talking about imposing something on the population that had never been done before in the history of man here. People were very blaise about it, until it suddenly hit super serious around the middle of March with the hoarding of food