+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Italy: https://uk.reuters.com/article/healt...-idUKL8N2H90HJ

As daily cases in Italy hit a new record 11,705 on Sunday, Conte said the situation had become critical but his government has been determined to avoid a repeat of the lockdown imposed at the start of the crisis in March.

COVID-related deaths on Sunday increased to 69, up from 47 the day before, the ministry said - far fewer than at the height of the pandemic in Italy in March and April, when daily fatalities peaked at more than 900.
    France: https://www.reuters.com/article/heal...-idUSL8N2H763D

The number of people in hospital with COVID-19 rose by 437 to 10,042, exceeding 10,000 for the first time since mid-June, and the number of people in intensive care rose by 50 to 1,800, a level last seen in mid-May.

It also reported that 122 people had died from coronavirus infection in hospitals in the past 24 hours, compared with 88 on Thursday. Including deaths in retirement homes - which are often reported in multi-day batches - the death toll increased by 178 on Friday

I mentioned the Pfizer jab a few days ago as a bit of good news

The Pfizer jab is being stockpiled en masse at the drug giant’s plant in Puurs, Belgium and could be put in for approval in the US in November,

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/18/hopes...line-13440956/

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

The Pfizer jab is being stockpiled en masse at the drug giant’s plant in Puurs, Belgium and could be put in for approval in the US in November,

Between that and the oxford one at least there is hope for some normality, with the priority being those who need the usual hospital care which seems to have been forgotten during Covid.

I used to work for Pharmacia, a company which merged with Pfizer so know the Puurs facility well.
    Pfizer believe they will have a good handle on the vaccine's effectiveness by the end of October and will seek a rapid review with the US FDA to get the drug licensed for use there.

For UK the licensing authority is currently within the EU,( they approve medicines for all EU members) although likely to be the UK MHRA after Brexit. Hope this possible change won't delay the approval of the vaccine for use in UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-54607893

Wales' lockdown job support gap 'a barrier to firms'

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...ustry-19128408

'It's a kick in the teeth' Wales' pubs, cafes and restaurants react to the fire-break lockdown

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...ustry-19128408

'It's a kick in the teeth' Wales' pubs, cafes and restaurants react to the fire-break lockdown
    I wonder if pubs will get a cash windfall like last time? He said every business with a rateable value will get Ł1000, more like Ł5000 if you turnover more than Ł50k

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Tens of thousands of people unnecessarily died because the government locked down too slowly earlier in the year. I can't really blame him for wanting to act more decisively this time around. I wouldn't want that on my conscience.

One thing's for sure, there will be a lot of people comparing the number of cases between England and Wales in a fortnight's time and saying it means that their preferred political party made the better decision.
    The same posters accusing Drakeford of a "knee jerk reaction" etc are the same ones who previously accused him of following in Boris' steps and not having his own plan.

He makes his own decisions = he's wrong.

He chooses the same path as the UK Govt. = he's wrong.

Hypocrisy, thy name is CCMB.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    The same posters accusing Drakeford of a "knee jerk reaction" etc are the same ones who previously accused him of following in Boris' steps and not having his own plan.

He makes his own decisions = he's wrong.

He chooses the same path as the UK Govt. = he's wrong.

Hypocrisy, thy name is CCMB.

It might be right to have a lockdown, what he, I think, refers to as a deep lockdown with retail closed, hospitality closed et., But surely not necessary in all parts of Wales. If Caerphilly got down to the same sort of incidence as Pembroke it would be hailed as a great success, yet Pembroke is to feel the full weight of his lockdown. Knee-jerk reaction?

The timing seems to be led by the fact that we are heading into a half term break, maybe that's why there is 5 days between announcement and action. But is the timing right? It falls between two UK compensation schemes which makes it difficult for all affected. Also there are a lot of distractions...Halloween, Bonfire Night, Wales rugby v Scotland, all within the lockdown period and all a reason to gather in groups in peoples homes. Knee-jerk reaction?

I hope its successful and I wish he would be up front and tell us now what's planned from 9 Nov, so that we can all get on and plan our lives, both business and pleasure.

Northern Ireland's circuit breaker is for four weeks.
    Ireland's tier 5 light lockdown is for six weeks.
    Reports from Manchester is that Tier 3 funding argument over Ł5 million is that UK government are budgeting for Manchester to be under those restrictions for up to 6 months and therefore do not want to increase spending for regions in Tier 3.

Feels like Drakeford has had his hands tied a bit by not being able to offer financial support for a longer circuit-break and there being a lack of political will for longer option here. It also feels that he has waited too long to introduce measures if wanting a short, sharp response. If there is low compliance as well then it's likely we move towards something more like Manchester where wet-pubs are shut for potentially several months with lots of people pushed back into 5 week wait for Universal Credit.

*not back into because UC accounts don't close for a period of 6 months and therefore most will be able to access money more quickly. New claimants waiting 5 weeks, those being pushed back into it not so.

Pretty grisly figures everywhere today I'm afraid, 1,148 new cases in Wales, 21k plus in the U.K. with 241 deaths.

1 hour tests at Heathrow T5

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54604100

We need these everywhere, aren’t they the ones boris said 10 million a day were to made soon?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-54614002

Welsh ministers say they cannot rule out imposing another firebreak lockdown early in 2021 if Covid-19 starts spreading quickly again at Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    We need these everywhere, aren’t they the ones boris said 10 million a day were to made soon?
    Hes gone quiet on that.

Fist pumping 10 million tests. Operation Moonshot or some bollox.

It's amazing how much bilge we get from the Tories on here. What happened to "we're all in this together"? What a load of bollocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    It's amazing how much bilge we get from the Tories on here. What happened to "we're all in this together"? What a load of bollocks!
    Of course everything said by Labour supporters is correct. Would it ever be possible for you to disagree with anything Labour does?

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Of course everything said by Labour supporters is correct. Would it ever be possible for you to disagree with anything Labour does?
    Gosh you've taken your time! I was expecting you to elbow in. Of course it would be possible for me to disagree; I'm just waiting for them to put a foot wrong. Obviously, there's still time for them to make mistakes.

International

Gosh you've taken your time! I was expecting you to elbow in. Of course it would be possible for me to disagree; I'm just waiting for them to put a foot wrong. Obviously, there's still time for them to make mistakes.

Nice reply. That was very funny.

Nearly 27,000 new cases and I can't help thinking this story is going to make a big impact;-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...19-second-wave

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Nearly 27,000 new cases and I can't help thinking this story is going to make a big impact;-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...19-second-wave
    I actually don't think it will have a big impact, there's been a lot of these sweeping statements by now - a month or so back there was talk of was it 50000 deaths by October or something? I think people are a bit fatigued by it and don't really believe statements like this anymore (I'm not saying he's wrong, I have no idea obviously)

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I actually don't think it will have a big impact, there's been a lot of these sweeping statements by now - a month or so back there was talk of was it 50000 deaths by October or something? I think people are a bit fatigued by it and don't really believe statements like this anymore (I'm not saying he's wrong, I have no idea obviously)
    50000 cases by the end of October wasn't it

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    50000 cases by the end of October wasn't it
    Yes, it was and 200 deaths a day by November. I can remember thinking that deaths figure was ridiculous given where it was when the claim was made, but, unfortunately, we're ahead of schedule on that one. There were just short of 200 people died yesterday to follow on from nearly 250 the day before, so we're on schedule for 1,000 Covid deaths in a seven day period and when you look at it like that, the tens of thousands of deaths this winter prediction doesn't look too far wrong. Just as in the spring, we have been a few weeks behind mainland Europe, but, already, this week's daily death's figures are comparing poorly with countries like France, Italy, Spain, Germany etc.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

It's beginning to look like virtually nothing was learned from what happened in the UK in the spring.

International

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I'd like to agree with you but I can't be bothered. I'm all 'dire warnings' fatigued.