+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

I don't see how the Welsh government will allow the firebreak to end in Merthyr and other areas with high levels of COVID. That would be thoroughly irresponsible.

In this pandemic governments need to be flexible and not make statements saying restrictions should end on a particular date come what may. So, is Drakeford saying the firebreak will end on Monday irrespective of the number of COVID cases?

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I don't see how the Welsh government will allow the firebreak to end in Merthyr and other areas with high levels of COVID. That would be thoroughly irresponsible.

In this pandemic governments need to be flexible and not make statements saying restrictions should end on a particular date come what may. So, is Drakeford saying the firebreak will end on Monday irrespective of the number of COVID cases?
    They certainly lose a lot of respect if they do. It’s not following the science is it.....

International

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    They certainly lose a lot of respect if they do. It’s not following the science is it.....
    That is the problem he has, there was never any caveat on it, it was an absolute statement by him and Gethin. The lockdown will end on Monday. They have also said there will be no more local lockdowns, that they will in future use whole nation actions.
    so where that leaves them on Monday morning I really don't know!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    That is the problem he has, there was never any caveat on it, it was an absolute statement by him and Gethin. The lockdown will end on Monday. They have also said there will be no more local lockdowns, that they will in future use whole nation actions.
    They were crazy to do that. By their own admission they said that the effects of the 2 week lockdown would take a further week or two to manifest themselves. All they had to do was to say that they reserved the right to extend the lockdown in the hotspot areas. How do we know that the majority of people in Merthyr for example might not indeed be happy to extend the lockdown there for their own safety? Obviously there will be those freethinkers in "Trump mode" who couldn't care less about the effect on their neighbours!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Im sure I heard a interview in the last few days saying if there was something exceptional locally then they may do something.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post

Crazy...but the pubs will be open in Merthyr on Monday, the science ignored as politics take precedence.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Crazy...but the pubs will be open in Merthyr on Monday, the science ignored as politics take precedence.
    whereas everybody knows the only thing that should take precedence over science is meat from your favourite butcher

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    whereas everybody knows the only thing that should take precedence over science is meat from your favourite butcher
    Wrong...no one in science has said that that you catch Covid-19 driving alone in a car with the windows closed. And don't forget when Drakeford put Lockdown 1 in place neither Cardiff nor Brecon had the sort of incidence of infection that's around now. The 5 mile travel rule was another example of politics taking precedence. Stupid rule that made Wales look daft.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Wrong...no one in science has said that that you catch Covid-19 driving alone in a car with the windows closed. And don't forget when Drakeford put Lockdown 1 in place neither Cardiff nor Brecon had the sort of incidence of infection that's around now. The 5 mile travel rule was another example of politics taking precedence. Stupid rule that made Wales look daft.
    Come off it. Since March lots has been learned about the virus, how it spreads, what we can do as a society etc. There appears now to be a priority that kids should go to school so parents can work. Lockdown once virus rates get too high. Earlier on in the year, politicians around the UK and further afield were veering on the ultra defensive side with virus prevention the priority. Some rules were made that didn't make much sense, but the overwhelming rule was that people needed to stay at home and travel as little and stay as near to home as possible.

You've used dozens of excuses as to why you should have been able to go to Brecon. I'm absolutely certain if Boris Johnson had come out with the 5 mile rule and the Welsh Government had done something differently, it would still have been the fault of the Welsh Government according to you.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    😂😂😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    They were crazy to do that. By their own admission they said that the effects of the 2 week lockdown would take a further week or two to manifest themselves. All they had to do was to say that they reserved the right to extend the lockdown in the hotspot areas. How do we know that the majority of people in Merthyr for example might not indeed be happy to extend the lockdown there for their own safety? Obviously there will be those freethinkers in "Trump mode" who couldn't care less about the effect on their neighbours!
    Plus the people in areas of high cases can now travel outside their area. Just in time for Christmas shopping.

The bad news is that there were 32 deaths in Wales, but new cases were below a thousand for the first time in a while. One day doesn't prove anything and the number of tests looks a bit lower than normal, but maybe the firebreak influence is being seen?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The bad news is that there were 32 deaths in Wales, but new cases were below a thousand for the first time in a while. One day doesn't prove anything and the number of tests looks a bit lower than normal, but maybe the firebreak influence is being seen?
    Im sure the firebreak will have an affect Bob but the virus is so widespread now I cant see it doing much more than bringing it down to what it was. More or less just stopping it getting much worse.

If that is the case having less restrictions than when we went into it doesnt make any sense.

I reckon with furlough now extended we will be back in lockdown before the New Year and for longer. Minimum pubs will be shut for the New Year.

RCT covid cases last 4 days

So still high but reducing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

I'd say four days of consecutive falls can be treated as a trend and evidence that the firebreak has worked even if the results may not have been as good as hoped for.

By the way, where do you get the separate RCT figures from, because the only ones I see are the hospital area ones where you get a combination of the numbers from RCT and Merthyr.

I'd say four days of consecutive falls can be treated as a trend and evidence that the firebreak has worked even if the results may not have been as good as hoped for.

By the way, where do you get the separate RCT figures from, because the only ones I see are the hospital area ones where you get a combination of the numbers from RCT and Merthyr.
    Councillor Andrew Morgan put it on his twitter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AndrewMorganRCT

Councillor Andrew Morgan put it on his twitter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AndrewMorganRCT
    says there'll be more "positive signs" today as well.

down to 102 today. I'm not sure if those numbers are usually lower in the weekend like some others though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    down to 102 today. I'm not sure if those numbers are usually lower in the weekend like some others though.
    That's definitely the case with the deaths figure, but I don't think it does so much for new cases. I noticed that there was quite a high number of tests in Wales for today's figures, but there were 744 new cases which is less than half of some of the figures during the firebreak - all pretty encouraging.

That's definitely the case with the deaths figure, but I don't think it does so much for new cases. I noticed that there was quite a high number of tests in Wales for today's figures, but there were 744 new cases which is less than half of some of the figures during the firebreak - all pretty encouraging.
    I guess we should still continue to see a drop for a week or two after the lockdown ends due to the incubation period

I guess we should still continue to see a drop for a week or two after the lockdown ends due to the incubation period
    Yes, I would have thought so.

So that's practically everyone in the area that's got it then.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    So that's practically everyone in the area that's got it then.
    population of RCT is 240,000.
    since the start of the pandemic there have been 7911 cases in RCT.
    so something like 3% of people have had it (that we know about)
    asymptomatic people who haven't had tests obviously won't show up on those numbers

population of RCT is 240,000.
    since the start of the pandemic there have been 7911 cases in RCT.
    so something like 3% of people have had it (that we know about)
    asymptomatic people who haven't had tests obviously won't show up on those numbers
    Maybe I was being a bit flippant, but my point is, all these people have covid, so as you are testing them, the numbers will go down as the ones who already have it, would have been counted.

102 again today for RCT