+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 44 of 290 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940414243444546474849505152535494144 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 8745

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, on reflection you may well be right - I seem to remember Wednesday's as the worst day normally now. I think in the past they have just added all of the additional figures on to one day, but I might be wrong in believing that.
    xsnaggle was right. 772 deaths announced just now, so we will probably see a big increase on that tomorrow. New cases recorded was 5,362 which is slightly above recent days, but means that, apart from Saturday's figure which was boosted by a one off 3,000 plus extra cases of positive swab tests on key workers, they have been holding pretty steady for over a week.

David Squires on … 24 random nice things from football:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-from-football

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    David Squires on … 24 random nice things from football:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-from-football

International

One thing that needs to be sorted out while we are on lock-down is these on-line gambling leeches who are still trying to suck money out of the vulnerable who are almost certainly even more vulnerable that normal.

There was an advert on TV yesterday from one of these arsehole companies announcing a new game, "Rainbow Rewards" or rainbow something. If that is not a direct attempt to link it to something good, with the rainbows in peoples windows just now, then I don't know what is.
    I think they should all be closed down and their profits and assets seized to be given to the NHS.

People are dying in Ireland at half the rate they are over here.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-ireland-delay

People are dying in Ireland at half the rate they are over here.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-ireland-delay
    I saw an article the other day saying that a couple of the differences between Ireland and the UK is that we have a much greater population density here than them (so does Italy) and the average age of the population is lower in Ireland (Italy has I think a higher average age than both of us).

It said, I think, that both these factors may contribute to a higher infection and death rate

I'll try and find it again but I have read so many articles in recent weeks that I am not sure where to start.

I would guess though that there will be many such articles in the future as the scientists and mathematicians study the figures in greater depth

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I saw an article the other day saying that a couple of the differences between Ireland and the UK is that we have a much greater population density here than them (so does Italy) and the average age of the population is lower in Ireland (Italy has I think a higher average age than both of us).

It said, I think, that both these factors may contribute to a higher infection and death rate

I'll try and find it again but I have read so many articles in recent weeks that I am not sure where to start.

I would guess though that there will be many such articles in the future as the scientists and mathematicians study the figures in greater depth
    Should they have such a huge affect on the overall numbers? Surely their response being more clear than ours is what has done it? They "locked down" after us but they closed pubs, schools, promoted social distancing etc earlier, that is apparently the main way of slowing it down and lowering its effect.

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    Prof Helen Ward has a very interesting twitter account. Hint; hates Tories.

I wonder why she's forthright.
    She definitely does but that will become the smear for any scientist whose analysis points the finger at the government.

International

Another example of The Welsh government running things for themselves. so much mire efficient.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-52283236

Not at all.

I'm more curious as to why the media seem to like using the likes of her and Ashton, the latter of which doesn't react well when his Labour links are revealed.

There's a difference between being right and relishing in being right.
    For weeks the narrative was that the only qualified experts were those government employees we see on our screen every day.

Be interesting to see what the plan will be to end the lockdown. I think it’s time to tell everyone how long it will be, in what order they then plan to do things, ie small shops opening, working, schools, pubs etc.....clearly we will be in lockdown for at least another 3 weeks, probably a few more before things can change.

We're not close to thinking about what the exit strategy should be, certainly nowhere near Government stating publicly.

Announce it now, moron element will then break lockdown, citing the exit strategy as something that would happen anyway.

International

We're not close to thinking about what the exit strategy should be, certainly nowhere near Government stating publicly.

Announce it now, moron element will then break lockdown, citing the exit strategy as something that would happen anyway.
    Announcing the plan now is what Sir keith is demanding. so then when it doesn't go exactly that way he can point the finger and say "You lied" or "You failed" Its easy to stand outside the tent and throw stones in, specially with hindsight..

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Announcing the plan now is what Sir keith is demanding. so then when it doesn't go exactly that way he can point the finger and say "You lied" or "You failed" Its easy to stand outside the tent and throw stones in, specially with hindsight..
    You mean Her Majesty's Opposition would be doing what opposition parties have been doing for centuries?

International

You mean Her Majesty's Opposition would be doing what opposition parties have been doing for centuries?
    LOL well spotted

Banned

Conversely, announcing the plan now could reduce skepticism in some sectors of the community meaning that lockdowns will be easier to enforce.

I bet the government is doing little else.

You are right that they will resist stating it publicly - until they have no option.

Not so sure, think it’s been followed very well here in Cardiff and friends in most places around England say the same. Tell us another 3 weeks and most will cope seeing an end game.....there’s nothing worse than being in limbo state for us humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    She definitely does but that will become the smear for any scientist whose analysis points the finger at the government.
    And of course any scientist who produces an analysis defending the government is just a lackey of them!

And of course any scientist who produces an analysis defending the government is just a lackey of them!
    What analysis has been produced that defends the government?

Yeah perhaps. Not by me though.

International

I expected a very big spike in death toll today after the long weekend, as there is normally one after every weekend, but sad though each death is it doesn't look as bad as it could be. Perhaps we are getting over the top of the curve?

Banned

I expected a very big spike in death toll today after the long weekend, as there is normally one after every weekend, but sad though each death is it doesn't look as bad as it could be. Perhaps we are getting over the top of the curve?

Hospital admissions seem to be plateauing which offers encouragement that the lockdown is having a positive effect on flattening the curves. Three of the last four days have seen fewer than 5000 new cases being reported too.

On 23/02/2020 Steve Hilton (former strategy adviser to David Cameron during coalition years) appeared in the news again promoting a study saying 130,000 people had lost their lives due to austerity politics. As with every study, there are limitation to report he was describing, however today* marks the first day that the recorded deaths for coronavirus world-wide has passed this 130,000 figure.

Coronavirus has quite rightly dominated news lately so perhaps an interesting comparison to something that was largely accepted at the time.

*some records have date as yesterday rather than today.

Perhaps I missed it, but I've not seen any acknowledgement of the bulk of the 400 plus additional deaths outside of hospitals announced by the ONS earlier in the week. In saying that, I believe the daily figures from Scotland and Wales have been adjusted to include them (I'm pretty sure both countries recorded their biggest number of daily deaths on Wednesday), but not England and Northern Ireland which probably means that at least three quarters of those deaths are missing from the total shown here;-

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

As can be seen though, with the exception of one day (which included a one off adjustment) the new cases figures for this month have remained fairly steady even though the number of people being tested has been rising.