+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 63 of 350 FirstFirst ... 13535455565758596061626364656667686970717273113163 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 8745

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    The media really need to be sorted at the moment, we all know it’s a big deal etc but come on, not sure if it’s the government leading them to try and make people scared to go out etc but making a lot of particularly elderly folk I know so depressed they can’t watch it anymore.
    There were over 100 deaths announced for Wales yesterday, albeit all but twenty six of them were down to procedural delays which meant they could not be recorded at the time of death.

I found that graph depressing because the, justified, high rating of the NHS and the relatively high ratings of Conservative party politicians seems incompatible to me given ten years of austerity and almost as long pay freezes against staff employed in the health service. While this article shows it's wrong to say all but one Tory directly voted down a pay rise for NHS staff, apart from four who abstained, every Conservative vote against a means by which the pay cap could be ended and it is true to say that some of them cheered when the result was announced;-

https://fullfact.org/health/queens-s...ic-sector-pay/

Also, like Splott Parker, I find myself wondering what Kier Starmer has done to deserve such a low rating.

We understand that while the chief scientific advisers from Scotland, Wales and N Ireland have been allowed to listen in on Sage meetings, they have been doing so as observers. Unlike Cummings and Warner, they were not allowed to ask questions, unless submitted in writing.

https://twitter.com/PaulLewis/status...52259395813377
    We need to know more about how SAGE is set up and how it presents its information.

New exercise rules for those living in Wales: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52416541

And don't forget Brexit is still steaming ahead with UK government saying absolutely no extension:

"That means that we need genuine progress by June if, at the end of this year, we want to strike an agreement which is commensurate to the level of our economic interdependence and geographical proximity."
    But he said there were four areas where progress was "disappointing", including the level playing field (what kind of access the UK could have to the European single market after Brexit), justice and fisheries.
    And he warned that the "clock was ticking". - Mr Barnier

In a statement, the UK government said it had been a "full and constructive negotiating round".
    "However, limited progress was made in bridging the gaps between us and the EU," it said.
    The UK government also highlighted "significant differences of principle" in areas including the level playing field and fisheries.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52414155

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    There were over 100 deaths announced for Wales yesterday, albeit all but twenty six of them were down to procedural delays which meant they could not be recorded at the time of death.

I found that graph depressing because the, justified, high rating of the NHS and the relatively high ratings of Conservative party politicians seems incompatible to me given ten years of austerity and almost as long pay freezes against staff employed in the health service. While this article shows it's wrong to say all but one Tory directly voted down a pay rise for NHS staff, apart from four who abstained, every Conservative vote against a means by which the pay cap could be ended and it is true to say that some of them cheered when the result was announced;-

Also, like Splott Parker, I find myself wondering what Kier Starmer has done to deserve such a low rating.
    I think KS's low rating is not for him personally but as Leader of the Labour Party. This means he had to start from JC's very low rating at the time he left and build on it. That, the leaking of the internal report, the current crisis where they mayb e supporting the governemnt more openly than thye may usually, coupled with Parliament not sitting and giving him air time means the public haven't seen enough of him to judge.
    give him time

Starmer needs to look at Piers Morgan(cant believe im saying this) and start holding this government to account for their shambolic handling of this crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Wasn’t it 76 or something from delays over a month in north wales? Thought we were down to 20 odd death yesterday itself?

International

It was 84 out of 88 reported yesterday by them.

This is a trust that has been in "specially measures" for years and has just be reported again recently for a complete failure to improve. what amazes me is not that the error occurred (Though that is bad enough) but that on the news every evening they tell us the numbers by area and no one up there noticed. Incredible. someone must have known.

the actual deaths yesterday was 26 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Starmer needs to look at Piers Morgan(cant believe im saying this) and start holding this government to account for their shambolic handling of this crisis.
    Guaranteed way of turning people against him immediately. Still lots of people in "this is like WW2, we must not criticise anything" mode

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I think KS's low rating is not for him personally but as Leader of the Labour Party. This means he had to start from JC's very low rating at the time he left and build on it. That, the leaking of the internal report, the current crisis where they mayb e supporting the governemnt more openly than thye may usually, coupled with Parliament not sitting and giving him air time means the public haven't seen enough of him to judge.
    give him time
    Yes, I think there's something to what you say, but I reckon it's about 90 per cent certain that we are going to pass the 20,000 deaths mark later today and I think it's fair to say that it's now generally accepted that, in truth, we passed it days ago. That was the figure singled out as a "good outcome" about a month ago and this week we saw an article in the Financial Times suggesting that the real figure could be as high as 41,000.

Granted, we are around the same size population wise as the likes of Spain, France and Italy who all have similar figures to ours, but we had the advantage of having longer to prepare for what was coming than they did and it will be absolutely shocking in my view if we end up as the country with the most deaths in Europe as has been suggested by some studies recently.

International

There is something in what you say about numbers but those being bad do not automatically mean he is good.
    The poll is based on his performance as lEaDer not on someone elses failure. i don't thin kthe 2 things are mutual.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    New exercise rules for those living in Wales: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52416541
    Not sure how this will be policed, but can see why it is necessary. Today, my next door neighbour has had 2 lots of visitors into his house. His father lives next door, and has also had visitors to the house. The divorcee up the road had her friends around for a drink in the garden on Thursday night. So, the rest of us have to follow even tighter rules - not because the science requires tighter rules, but because people need to be told what to do. However, this is going to fall on deaf ears. The road behind our house is quite busy today

International

i live in llandaff but like to go to roath park to feed the swans, its only about 2 miles and i do my shopping on the way home.

About traffic, I live on a major junction and Yes traffic has slowly crept up over the last 2 weeks, but we should be realistic.
    When someone is driving his car he is definitely social distancing.
    The main highways and M'Ways are almost empty so the traffic in the town/city is only going short distance generally, and the biggest thing is night-time. The road outside is totally empty and devoid of traffic as no pubs club restaurants ot takeways are open. So again people are social distancing. the only thing I see at night are delivery lorries.

So although some arseholes are ignoring the rules and the risks, (and some always will) I think generally it is still working and I think the 'only cycling walking distance' and not driving to the park is a bit of OTT big brother from the Welsh Government. The people who ignore the rules are the same people who were ignoring them already so it will only impact on the people doing right!

International

A thingh on wlaes update now about S Wales police tweeting queues outside a B&Q supermarket and qquestioning if the shopping is essential. It may not be food but it may be essensial for well-being and distraction from being locked it!!!!!

I'm worried that these new levels of restrictions will give the police the excuse to be more draconian and heavy handed with basically good citizens ( we will make something up - who are they going to believe?) and that will make people very anti and less inclined to keep to the rules

In Ireland the rules around exercising are as follows:

- to exercise within 2 kilometres of your house. You cannot exercise with people from outside your household
    (https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf...ther-spread-o/)
    Again, other nations are providing a lot clearer advice than we're getting but at least Senedd is edging towards that sort of clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    no longer required but was nice to see UK engineering firms stepping up to the plate when asked . The moral of the story UK has some briliant design and manufacturing firms . Hope to see the UK expand there manufacturing operations in the coming years . Not sure how but would love to knock china back a peg or two . they just copy most things anyway

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52409359
    No longer required because it was extremely ill though out and badly managed.

Sounds like next faze of the lockdown will allow small groups of different households to get together....might aswell as plenty are doing this anyway, partic families whose parents have long split up and want to share the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Sounds like next faze of the lockdown will allow small groups of different households to get together....might aswell as plenty are doing this anyway, partic families whose parents have long split up and want to share the kids.
    Next phase will be delayed due to London dickheads congregating on Westminster Bridge to applaud NHS whilst filing to take any precautions or social distance, with police joining in.

Others will then turn round and copy that dumb behaviours...

Well done Sadiq and Cressida!

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    Next phase will be delayed due to London dickheads congregating on Westminster Bridge to applaud NHS whilst filing to take any precautions or social distance, with police joining in.

What did Sadiq do?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post

The main highways and M'Ways are almost empty
    I drive to Magor 6 times a week and they most definitely are not

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post

We will be doing our own thing here if them over the bridge dont play by the rules.....looks like new cases level around 250 is where we were coming up around the 31st March, it took two weeks to get there from mid march when there were no cases so hopefully another 2 weeks will see it fall away to mid March levels as predicted back then.

Telegraph front page announcing 2 week quarantine for those travelling into the UK. This is something other countries put in place what feels like months ago - why does it take the UK so much longer to take action?

Boris is back on duty tomorrow and raring to go.

We can all rest easy, he’s got this covered.

Hurrah

Fascinating disconnect between people's perceptions of the UK from inside and outside. Inside, the coverage is mostly serious but calm. And yet anyone I know following coverage of the UK from outside is frightened and outraged by what has happened. Commentators I've appeared on shows with - from hard left to hard right - based outside the UK are aghast at what has happened here. My uncle in Guatemala - a country which is about as ****ed as you can get & currently under curfew - called up my mum in a panic after seeing a TV report about the UK.

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1254056076552650754
    It's quite incredible, although I would substitute 'tame' for 'calm'. All the more disgusting that the government is trying to disparage coverage that is already calm/tame/mild in comparison to that of objective outside observers.

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status...57219076825089
    This government has lacked transparency and honesty since it started the Brexit campaign - not a criticism of the idea of/need for Brexit, just the campaign that succeeded in the referendum and government it later formed - and UK is seeing its soft power status around the wold weaken because of it, not to mention the thousands of lives already lost within the UK.

Birmingham Nightingale. As with London, not enough staff to make it work. NHS staff are being concentrated in hospitals, shunting away cancer patients, for example, to keep the HDUs going. A year on there will be a lot of passing the buck when it comes to the real numbers who die of CV, in hospitals, care homes, hospices, at home and those who have not suffered from CV but didnt get the treatment needed due to political expediency.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ngham-52430855