+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 66 of 290 FirstFirst ... 16565758596061626364656667686970717273747576116166 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 8745

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    UK government set 20,000 as benchmark figure for "good result". We're sadly past that by 10,000 recorded and could be more than double when counting stops.

Meanwhile, brief test and trace strategy of mid-March stopped due to lack of capacity to test; capacity now increased and yet testing numbers (by government's definition) decreasing since headlines made at end of April/start of May. Next target is to increase lab processing of tests, another small step in right direction, but anyone saying this is "apparent success" should be asked why, despite having more notice than most that this was coming, we started from nothing and increased so slowly so now are playing catch-up while thousands die. Clue: it's not what the science said.
    The likelihood is it already over 40,000 now

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Are these the current figures for excess mortality that the government says will eventually be used to compare the impact more accurately across countries?
    No idea Baloo.

The UK had 43,000 excess deaths for March and April. In other words 43,000 more deaths than would be expected for these months. Well above any other European country. This Government should be hammered for this especially the way Care Homes have been treated with complete disregard.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    The UK had 43,000 excess deaths for March and April. In other words 43,000 more deaths than would be expected for these months. Well above any other European country. This Government should be hammered for this especially the way Care Homes have been treated with complete disregard.
    Italy for one don't count care home deaths.

Care homes are also 84% privately owned yet you want direct government intervention? Most sensible people would castigate care home owners and managers for not ensuring PPE available...

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    Italy for one don't count care home deaths.

Care homes are also 84% privately owned yet you want direct government intervention? Most sensible people would castigate care home owners and managers for not ensuring PPE available...
    Why don’t they count care home deaths? With the oldest population in Europe and only second to Japan in the world it makes you wonder how bad it really is over there? If you took the care home deaths off our recorded ones now they would be far lower.
    Almost half of the deaths in Cardiff County are now care homes related for ie.....

https://twitter.com/davidmcswane/sta...936921601?s=19

Utter shambles. In America this time.

20200507_084131.jpg20200507_084218.jpg

Comparison between countries and different parts of the UK for excess deaths (i.e. all causes)
    At the time of this data there were 22 k reported covid 19 deaths in the UK

Question yesterday asking why UK government is not making more clear what policies apply to England and where they are at a UK level: https://twitter.com/WillHayCardiff/s...31303497981953

Question completely dodged but, considering we had a thread on here about Boris Johnson announcing plans to re-open schools and only mention of England was separate point about CoE churches, it may be critical to things going forward.

On Twitter the response is from Scottish people echoing the statement and then other Scottish people, missing the point, wanting to stay part of the Union. It's important to recognise that we have devolution and whether you want more, less or same amount it's important that, at times of health crisis, information needs to be provided clearly so people know where they stand.

Ok it is the Lancet which has credibility issues, but we're all going to die from it. *

What's interesting is it seems a very nihilistic view. Whatever people do to prevent spread is ultimately pointless.

* Possibly.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...035-7/fulltext

Ok it is the Lancet which has credibility issues, but we're all going to die from it. *

What's interesting is it seems a very nihilistic view. Whatever people do to prevent spread is ultimately pointless.

* Possibly.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...035-7/fulltext
    That view doesn't seem to be being borne out in reality however. There are plenty of examples of places that have managed it better than the western european nations

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    That view doesn't seem to be being borne out in reality however. There are plenty of examples of places that have managed it better than the western european nations
    From "information" available now.

Italy's excess death count, for example, only goes to end of March.

The key predictions is "I expect that when we count the number of deaths from COVID-19 in each country in 1 year from now, the figures will be similar, regardless of measures taken.".

I'd tend to agree, whilst pointing out it's inevitable there will be variations for external factors, demographics etc.

I'd also say that nobody has focused on Africa, I suspect figures there in nations will make the effect on UK look like a broken toenail. Their final figures may well be horrendous.

The only time real comparisons can be made is in the long term, and only if all nations register cases / deaths identically. I'm highly sceptical of figures like South Korea. If something looks too good to be true, it generally isn't.

From "information" available now.

Italy's excess death count, for example, only goes to end of March.

The key predictions is "I expect that when we count the number of deaths from COVID-19 in each country in 1 year from now, the figures will be similar, regardless of measures taken.".

I'd tend to agree, whilst pointing out it's inevitable there will be variations for external factors, demographics etc.

I'd also say that nobody has focused on Africa, I suspect figures there in nations will make the effect on UK look like a broken toenail. Their final figures may well be horrendous.

The only time real comparisons can be made is in the long term, and only if all nations register cases / deaths identically. I'm highly sceptical of figures like South Korea. If something looks too good to be true, it generally isn't.
    Places like Vietnam and Hong Kong who acted quickly and strongly have shown that it can have a very different outcome than we have seen in Europe. and if it comes back there I would expect that they would act in the same way

Heisenberg

Can you provide the footage of Johnson standing in front of cameras and saying so more than once?

I know there's the editted clip from This Morning, where he explained the concept of herd immunity in this instance, the clip conveniently shutting off before he then said "but I don't agree with that".
    I don't remember Boris saying it, but Patrick Vallance said it on several occasions.

Let me know if you want me to share links... I've got some spare time for the next hour, unlike Delmbox

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I don't remember Boris saying it, but Patrick Vallance said it on several occasions.

Let me know if you want me to share links... I've got some spare time for the next hour, unlike Delmbox
    Yeah, I'm aware of Vallance but that wasn't the claim made.

Yeah, I'm aware of Vallance but that wasn't the claim made.
    Disclaimer: I haven't dived into the links so posted for those with bit more time to have a look at as part of the discussion - there may be more to the story.

Professor Graham Medley, who leads the Government’s disease modelling team, tells BBC Newsnight that “we are going to have to generate what is called herd immunity… and the only way of developing that in the absence of vaccination is for the majority of the population to become infected”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p086hjgc

Dr David Halpern, the head of the Number 10 ‘nudge unit’, tells the BBC that “there is going to be a point, assuming the epidemic flows and grows as we think it probably will do, where you’ll want to cocoon, you’ll want to protect those at-risk group so that they basically don’t catch the disease and by the time they come out of their cocooning herd immunity has been achieved in the rest of the population”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...egy-unravelled

We went into the so called lockdown too late.

Will we come out too early.

Latest feck up coming?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    We went into the so called lockdown too late.

Will we come out too early.

Latest feck up coming?
    We aren’t really coming out are we? So you can exercise a bit more? Bit of a joke that as 80% of the population probably never do anyway....
    It will be another 3 weeks until anything major can happen, small shops and schools etc....and yes it’s the right time, for wales at least.

International

It won't be "too early" for a lot of folks going stir crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    It won't be "too early" for a lot of folks going stir crazy.
    Yeah who cares if loads more people die, people are a little bit bored of being at home!

International

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Yeah who cares if loads more people die, people are a little bit bored of being at home!
    Yes they are, and they probably don't

They probably do care, they just don't think that they will have anything to do with causing it.

I doubt any of the people who infected the tens of thousands who have died thought that they'd be a cause either.

International

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    They probably do care, they just don't think that they will have anything to do with causing it.

I doubt any of the people who infected the tens of thousands who have died thought that they'd be a cause either.
    Probably closer to what I actually meant. They will assume its everyone else because they don't feel sick.

So we should just release these selfish morons until anyone who's a bit ill already dies?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    So we should just release these selfish morons until anyone who's a bit ill already dies?
    Not up to me, and not everyone is as clever as you to make sure the decision that suits your thinknig is made. Not my concern at the moment.
    But what I said is almost certainly true of a lot of people. And you trying to be so high and mighty will not change one single thing will it? :)

I can't believe people are still defending this government's reaction tbh, it was too little and too late and still is.

More excess deaths than anywhere in Europe, you can try and spin the figures however you want but the response has been appalling.