+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 73 of 350 FirstFirst ... 23636465666768697071727374757677787980818283123173 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 8745

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    That is just silly.
    Its not the danger to the individual its the effect of catching it and passing it on and it spreading.

What does that mean? Who is the individual and why it is not a danger to him? Is the person catcing it not an individual? Is the person passing it on not an individual? What is the difference between going to work and catching it, passing it on etc and going to the pub and doing it? The only difference is that someone with the need to work and earn money must go to work but if he so chooses he does not 'have' to go to the pub.
    When they open pubs its got to be safe not just for those that use them
    How would pubs be not safe to people who don't go to them? that defeats me completely. The people who owrk in them and deliver stock to them will be doing what other people are doing every day now, and like the customers they can choose to do it or not. Publicans and their staff need to be allowed to go back to work just like everybody else.
    An individual can have the virus, have no symptoms or ill effects. It can still be transmitted. Hence it isn't a danger to some individuals but can well be dangerous to some they encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Quote from the "Independent Sage" meeting which can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFLA...ature=youtu.be

Allyson Pollock is Professor Allyson Pollock, co-director of the Newcastle University Centre for Excellence in Regulatory Science. Sir David King (name most linked with meeting in papers, but not only name involved) is former chief scientific adviser to UK government.

The WHO are saying one thing, the UK government are saying another and the only explanation is "we follow the science." At what point do we in the UK get to find out what's being said and by whom?
    The "alternate SAGE" group somewhat inconveniently only features scientists linked to Labour. I'd have thought a more balanced group would have been sought to deflect accusations of political bias?

International

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    An individual can have the virus, have no symptoms or ill effects. It can still be transmitted. Hence it isn't a danger to some individuals but can well be dangerous to some they encounter.
    Who are also individuals. And the same "carrier" can do exactly the same thing at work or on the way there or their way home. And someone catching it at work will still endanger everyone he meets after work.

My point is that the average man in the street will see that its no difference to him going to work and putting himself at risk so will baulk at being continally told he cannot do the things he wants but can do the things he must.

The trace and track app will help people to know if they have been in contact and hopefully they will then isolate when told.

The "alternate SAGE" group somewhat inconveniently only features scientists linked to Labour. I'd have thought a more balanced group would have been sought to deflect accusations of political bias?
    What is your opinion on the quote I highlighted? Do you understand why WHO are saying isolate for 14 days and UK says 7 days? The openness should allow statements to be reviewed and more baseless comments to be 'corrected'.

International

What is your opinion on the quote I highlighted? Do you understand why WHO are saying isolate for 14 days and UK says 7 days? The openness should allow statements to be reviewed and more baseless comments to be 'corrected'.
    In all honesty I have always understood the isolation was for a recommended 14 days becuase it can take up to 10 days for symptoms to show.

Should, but won't. When one of the scientists in the alternate SAGE group is married to Corbyn's special advisor, daughter is Head of Complaints ( and being sued by Rachel Riley ) to name but one example, then for every "correct" questioning, I suspect every little thing will be found. WIll Pollock, who tweeted this, https://twitter.com/AllysonPollock/s...29088801525760 act impartiallY?

It's just staggering that whoever put that group together couldn't get a cross section of political views amongst the group. No Tories, no Lib Dems, no SNP, no Plaid.

Even if they do act independently and not as a partisan group, the accusation can always be levelled.

In all honesty I have always understood the isolation was for a recommended 14 days becuase it can take up to 10 days for symptoms to show.
    I don't want to say UK government says 7 days from showing symptoms because obviously if you're unwell on day 7 you don't act as if it's over on day 8, however there seems to be conflicting advice about how long you can be infectious for and I don't understand why. The unknown (some names released today) scientists say it's political decision, the politician's say "we follow the science" and there isn't enough openness about what that "science" is or where it stops.

All scientists will have political views as well as personal bias within scientific field. As far as I understand, they're meant to be aware of them, to remove it as much as possible when making conclusions and be open in information used so can be peer reviewed. The accusation that they're biased will be made most by those i) concerned they're not acting in proper way and ii) dislike conclusions being drawn. Guess my question remains though, is it right that we seemingly don't know why there is conflicting information between WHO and UK government?

International

I don't want to say UK government says 7 days from showing symptoms because obviously if you're unwell on day 7 you don't act as if it's over on day 8, however there seems to be conflicting advice about how long you can be infectious for and I don't understand why. The unknown (some names released today) scientists say it's political decision, the politician's say "we follow the science" and there isn't enough openness about what that "science" is or where it stops.

All scientists will have political views as well as personal bias within scientific field. As far as I understand, they're meant to be aware of them, to remove it as much as possible when making conclusions and be open in information used so can be peer reviewed. The accusation that they're biased will be made most by those i) concerned they're not acting in proper way and ii) dislike conclusions being drawn. Guess my question remains though, is it right that we seemingly don't know why there is conflicting information between WHO and UK government?
    well the WHO said at the weekend that the safe distance might be just a metre but UK Gov says its still 2. Which would you beleive in that scenario?
    People believe what gthey want to beleive.

well the WHO said at the weekend that the safe distance might be just a metre but UK Gov says its still 2. Which would you beleive in that scenario?
    There's a difference between choosing which scenario suits one personally, and actually not swallowing everything the Authorities tell us. I can't drive further than a designated distance from my home, yet being in my car is as safe as if I'm tucked up in bed at home. My children have self-isolated for 6 weeks. So have my wife and I. There is no logical, medical or safety reason why I shouldn't visit them, hold them. I think a Govt. that builds a hospital for 4000 people and treats 29 might actually get a few other things wrong..

International

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    There's a difference between choosing which scenario suits one personally, and actually not swallowing everything the Authorities tell us. I can't drive further than a designated distance from my home, yet being in my car is as safe as if I'm tucked up in bed at home. My children have self-isolated for 6 weeks. So have my wife and I. There is no logical, medical or safety reason why I shouldn't visit them, hold them. I think a Govt. that builds a hospital for 4000 people and treats 29 might actually get a few other things wrong..
    I am not arguing with you about your family but it is an example od people saying "Oh the rules shouldn't apply to me because....." I fully agree about driving your car, it is one of the problems with unlocking, everyone will seek to use a car rather than catch public transport.
    With regard to the hospitals, would you prefer that huge hospital be built on underused or that 29 people die on a trolley for lack of equipment? The press and others would have a field day.

I guess the same point stands: I don't know what WHO are basing it off and unless they're open about information they're using my decision will be less informed than I would like.

I am not arguing with you about your family but it is an example od people saying "Oh the rules shouldn't apply to me because....." I fully agree about driving your car, it is one of the problems with unlocking, everyone will seek to use a car rather than catch public transport.
    With regard to the hospitals, would you prefer that huge hospital be built on underused or that 29 people die on a trolley for lack of equipment? The press and others would have a field day.
    No, of course not. I'm just saying the Govt. - and their advisors, have been 'winging it'. It's not political, I just think in this country we're not very good at actually getting things done. There are 3 national health bodies, a bloated and inefficient civil service, things that are much more streamlined in Germany for example.

International

No, of course not. I'm just saying the Govt. - and their advisors, have been 'winging it'. It's not political, I just think in this country we're not very good at actually getting things done. There are 3 national health bodies, a bloated and inefficient civil service, things that are much more streamlined in Germany for example.
    did you see the report about Germany's reproting today?

did you see the report about Germany's reproting today?
    Still got to be peer reviewed, don't forget, but if it's true the German numbers are ten times those reported, then there's obviously more context applied.

Whitty is winging it? He shoots direct I feel

Science is science, there is no link to labour or conservative

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    That's not how right wing politics works. Take the 'B' word. An overwhelming majority of economists have predicted it will affect us negatively, so accuse political economists of being lefties, bring in right wing economists (who are in the small minority) to provide balance. The balance isn't a natural one.

Say there were 1000 doctors concerned about the NHS. The Tory media would deflect it, find a handful of doctors who aren't concerned and use them as balance. Of course the balance isn't real, it's all smoke and mirrors. The same would probably be true of Labour. I'd rather listen to the experts free of political interference.

I know how it works dummy. If people can do all the other things they will be permitted to do after lockdown is lifted the powers-that be will struggle to convince the average working man/woman that they cannot go to the pub. And if they continue to refuse permission for pubs to open they will destroy an industry which is already under threat anyway and which is part of a great majority of the nromal day to day life of british people.
    If you understand how it works you'd understand that this is stupid:

Well I don't actrually see much wrong with that. after lockdown Just because they are open it doesn't force people to go and they can spar wide if they wish. Saying they are open but don't go after the lockdown is at least giving people an informed cxhoice. Knowing the risk if they choose to go they can.

Who are also individuals. And the same "carrier" can do exactly the same thing at work or on the way there or their way home. And someone catching it at work will still endanger everyone he meets after work.

My point is that the average man in the street will see that its no difference to him going to work and putting himself at risk so will baulk at being continally told he cannot do the things he wants but can do the things he must.

The trace and track app will help people to know if they have been in contact and hopefully they will then isolate when told.
    Pubs and restaurants are some of the places where it spreads easily and they aren't a "necessity"

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Pubs and restaurants are some of the places where it spreads easily and they aren't a "necessity"
    Hence they won’t be opening for a long time yet

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Hence they won’t be opening for a long time yet
    Yep, unless they have a big outside space it'll be a while until we can get a pint unfortunately

International

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    If you understand how it works you'd understand that this is stupid:
    you are so quick to be holier than thou and all knowledgable but you carefylly avoid the point of what I was saying, as you normally do when you try to be clever with people.
    I never said "I want the pubs open now". What I was actually saying was if they do keep the pubs closed for months and months and tell the ordinary working man and woman that they can go to work and put themselves at risk and pay their taxes but they cannot make the choicer, knowing the risks of actually enjoying the fruit of their labour, forbidden to go for a pint after work or on a sunny sunday lunchtime, then the general population will start to get very pissed off with the government that is telling them the thing they have to do is OK but the thing they want to do in not, and you will start to see more and more people ignoring government asdvice across the board. It also risks more and more pubs never openiong their doors again, and they are businesses that employ people just as primark, M&S and all the others are.
    That is the point of what I was saying.
    And if you beleive that the social distancing measure put in place in officees and factories will last longer than a short while as people get used to the old routine then you live in cloud cuckoo land. The risk of going ot the workplace and the risk of going to a pub are decisions the individual must make.
    If the say people can work then bosses will tell them to work and if the feel it is not safe and stay home they will be in danger of losing their jobs because they are refusing to work when the govsaid its OK. So they will feel that if they must do that why cannot they have the choice to take the risk of going to a pub or restaurant? It's the way people think

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Ah, ok then, so it's merely a statistical coincidence all in the alternative SAGE have links to the Labour party then...

Given the range of interpretations of the science, changing day by day, why do I get the impression said alternative group will never praise the government?

Ah, ok then, so it's merely a statistical coincidence all in the alternative SAGE have links to the Labour party then...

Given the range of interpretations of the science, changing day by day, why do I get the impression said alternative group will never praise the government?
    Why would they praise the government. They should be giving a transparent assessment of the latest available data

Praise the government? Is that all that matters to you??