+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 18 of 350 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Has anyone read the Imperial College study? It can be found here: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...16-03-2020.pdf

There are hundreds of thousands of very worried people who can't financially support themselves for any real length of time (see majority of the self-employed, lower wages, or single parent families) and we've just had 10 years of cuts to services that are now going to be relied on.
    I don't think you have to fall into those categories to be worried. People earning a good wage atm can lose their jobs at any moment and 18 months would be tough.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
    watching sky news last few hours...

trump on tv lashing out trillions of dollars to prop up business... sounds like everyone is going to recieve around $1000 like the normal joe on the street so to speak...

clear this is more than some bs virus... they springing money out of nowhere that must be hoarded in federal reserve for the end of the world type thing..

watching our lot... we were talking about doctors in london for example pleading with goverment to send ppe as they are having to make up paper towel masks as supplies are running out.. asked when supplies will arrive they could not even answer!!!

everyone moans about trump... id be on the next bloody plane out of here if the option was on the table... we are a global shambles
    It really isn't more than a virus. Election year. If the recovery rates were very low then I would agree, but basically we are now in war time conditions.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I honestly don't think our Govt. - or any govt. for that matter - seriously expects the 12/14 weeks quarantine to be maintained. My hunch is they're hoping for something like 2 weeks before everyone starts 'breaking out'. Much better than telling people it's going to be 2 weeks and then seeing people on the streets after 2/3 days.

If I'm wrong and the timescales are accurate, there won't be anything left to return to - jobs, business, economy, nothing..

Quarantine cannot last more than 2 weeks. We have 2 Bank holidays in April, and another 2 in May. They can combine all 4 into one week - maybe add in the August Bank Holiday too. Five days. They could then force people to take a week annual leave, and enforce a quarantine. Enough time for people to sit at home, show symptoms, recover or show no symptoms at all. Theoretically, and with borders closed, that should be the end of cases developed in the country. The next issue then is who to re-open borders to. I'd say only to countries that have had no reported cases for 14 days.

Isolation is the main weapon, I think. Like you say, if it is more than that - even with home working, many people will be out of work.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Car Phone Warehouse....Gone
    Not due to coronavirus though.

International

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Not due to coronavirus though.
    Exactly. The company said it was because of a change in the way people get their phones.

I share some of the misgivings about figures from China, especially the early ones, but stories like this have to be encouraging, particularly if the number of new cases in recent weeks in regions that have relaxed the isolation policy are accurate.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...084803189.html

The picture of the near-deserted pedestrian street and the one looking across to the bridge were both taken in the first week of February, the others were taken yesterday. It's not back to normal yet, but it's getting there.There have been no new reported cases in the last 19 days, that's in a city with a population of more than 3 million (locals say it's a small city!).

That pedestrian street is usually quite crowded 7 days a week, only now people are starting to venture out more.

The photo taken outside of the department store shows hand sanitizer, QR codes that you have to scan when entering and leaving (download a special app on phone), and the customary temperature check (assistant has a hand-held laser thermometer).

I finally managed to get a beer as bars are slowly starting to re-open again.

IMG_20200206_124015.jpg
    Number One Bridge at about mid-afternoon.jpg
    IMG_20200317_173051.jpg
    IMG_20200317_172421.jpg
    IMG_20200317_173659.jpg
    IMG_20200317_191602.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    The picture of the near-deserted pedestrian street and the one looking across to the bridge were both taken in the first week of February, the others were taken yesterday. It's not back to normal yet, but it's getting there.There have been no new reported cases in the last 19 days, that's in a city with a population of more than 3 million (locals say it's a small city!).

That pedestrian street is usually quite crowded 7 days a week, only now people are starting to venture out more.

The photo taken outside of the department store shows hand sanitizer, QR codes that you have to scan when entering and leaving (download a special app on phone), and the customary temperature check (assistant has a hand-held laser thermometer).

I finally managed to get a beer as bars are slowly starting to re-open again.

IMG_20200206_124015.jpg
    Number One Bridge at about mid-afternoon.jpg
    IMG_20200317_173051.jpg
    IMG_20200317_172421.jpg
    IMG_20200317_173659.jpg
    IMG_20200317_191602.jpg
    Thanks very much for that, I think that's heartening for those over here who may well have to go through something similar soon .

Cheers Rock Flock, it’s so much better reading your updates as a man on the ground, so to speak, rather than some of the shock jocks we seem to be encountering.

That is great to see, thanks Rock Flock

This is also potentially positive https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rus-says-china

Venice canals clear after just a few days of non-human interaction
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-...after-lockdown

A piece of good news, no new cases on mainland China for a second successive day;-

I wonder if the chinese went out and cleared the shelves of every store in their lock down ?
    serious question

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Car Phone Warehouse....Gone
    No more free Caribbean holidays for Boris Johnson!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...-stay-21500154

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    I wonder if the chinese went out and cleared the shelves of every store in their lock down ?
    serious question
    No, I didn't witness anything of that to be honest. I visited the supermarkets quite frequently and didn't notice any panic buying, in fact, it was almost the opposite... the supermarkets were quieter than normal. People didn't want to risk entering crowded places.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    A piece of good news, no new cases on mainland China for a second successive day;-
    Chinese coronavirus scores on the doors are: number of cases, 80,967; number of deaths, 3,248; mortality rate, 4.%.

China's population is 1,408 million, meaning one in every 433 thousand Chinese citizens thus far have died.

Unable to pinpoint any official Chinese data re the age and gender of the deceased.

But whatever their stats are they are unlikely to differ in a material way to what's coming out of Europe where in Germany the youngest deceased is 67, eldest 94, the majority of whom had chronic conditions (cancer, lung disease).

In Italy, the average age of those who have died is 81 years... 90% being over 70, 10% 90+.

80% of the deceased had suffered from two or more chronic diseases. 50% of the deceased had suffered from three or more chronic diseases. The chronic diseases include in particular cardiovascular problems, diabetes, respiratory problems and cancer.

Less than 1% of the deceased were healthy persons, i.e. persons without pre-existing chronic diseases. Only about 30% of the deceased are women.

The Italy info came from this report: https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronav...9_13_marzo.pdf

It appears the US, UK, EU and others are prepared to close down large sectors of their economies for an indefinite period, place restrictions on their citizens' liberties and create an infinite amount of new debt to combat a problem that almost exclusively kills the weakest and eldest who are already on their last legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post

It appears the US, UK, EU and others are prepared to close down large sectors of their economies for an indefinite period, place restrictions on their citizens' liberties and create an infinite amount of new debt to combat a problem that almost exclusively kills the weakest and eldest who are already on their last legs.
    Would you rather let them die because they're "only the old, weak and vulnerable?" Because that's what it sounds like. I'd love a straight answer please because you've revealed quite a lot about your character since this all started happening and none of it's positive

Also China limited their deaths because everyone was locked down for over a month, longer in the worse hit areas.

Italy had 500 deaths in a day this week, does it matter if they were older and weaker people? How many more would have died if the lock downs weren;'t in place.

Blow up economies, saddle generations with a vast amount of debt to repay and taking a hammer to the purchasing power of the pound versus hoping to extend the lives of the aged who are already seriously ill for maybe a year or two. I'll opt for the latter.

Those who choose the former should remember not to grumble when they have to dig very deep for years on end to help finance it all.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Would you rather let them die because they're "only the old, weak and vulnerable?" Because that's what it sounds like. I'd love a straight answer please because you've revealed quite a lot about your character since this all started happening and none of it's positive
    He's more interested in his original point he posted on ccmb being right than the wellbeing of anyone.

Every hole anyone has pointed in his logic has been ignored and he just stops posting until he can post anything that he can use to back him up even if there are loads of holes in his logic.

The governments of the world are in a no win situation, do nothing and a lot of people will die, isolate everyone and lower the deaths signifcantly and people will say "look no one died what a waste".

Blow up economies, saddle generations with a vast amount of debt to repay and taking a hammer to the purchasing power of the pound versus hoping to extend the lives of the aged who are already seriously ill for maybe a year or two. I'll opt for the latter.

Those who choose the former should remember not to grumble when they have to dig very deep for years on end to help finance it all.
    You don't seem to realise how much worse this will get if it isn't contained.

Hospitals will become overwhelmed and lots of other people will die (This has already started happening in Italy). In Italy and Ireland a lot of people who have been admitted to ICUs and have needed breathing assisstance have been people under 60. If the hosptials get overwhelmed people like this will die.

Do you think a Tory government would **** up our economy just to save a few old and sick people?

Chinese coronavirus scores on the doors are: number of cases, 80,967; number of deaths, 3,248; mortality rate, 4.%. almost like the lockdowns helped slow infections and save lives. Are you believing numbers put out by the Chinese government now?

China's population is 1,408 million, meaning one in every 433 thousand Chinese citizens thus far have died. almost like locking the country down saved lives

Unable to pinpoint any official Chinese data re the age and gender of the deceased.

But whatever their stats are they are unlikely to differ in a material way to what's coming out of Europe where in Germany the youngest deceased is 67, eldest 94, the majority of whom had chronic conditions (cancer, lung disease).

In Italy, the average age of those who have died is 81 years... 90% being over 70, 10% 90+.

80% of the deceased had suffered from two or more chronic diseases. 50% of the deceased had suffered from three or more chronic diseases. The chronic diseases include in particular cardiovascular problems, diabetes, respiratory problems and cancer.

Less than 1% of the deceased were healthy persons, i.e. persons without pre-existing chronic diseases. Only about 30% of the deceased are women.

The Italy info came from this report: https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronav...9_13_marzo.pdf

It appears the US, UK, EU and others are prepared to close down large sectors of their economies for an indefinite period, place restrictions on their citizens' liberties and create an infinite amount of new debt to combat a problem that almost exclusively kills the weakest and eldest who are already on their last legs. do you honestly think these governments would do this if there was no risk?
    Are you a bit thick or just stubborn

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    He's more interested in his original point he posted on ccmb being right than the wellbeing of anyone.

Every hole anyone has pointed in his logic has been ignored and he just stops posting until he can post anything that he can use to back him up even if there are loads of holes in his logic.

The governments of the world are in a no win situation, do nothing and a lot of people will die, isolate everyone and lower the deaths signifcantly and people will say "look no one died what a waste".
    China solved the problem (perhaps temporarily) in what, 50 days? I checked the numbers before posting. Pro rata wise Britain's 144 fatalities is almost up to China's total and measures here remain half-arsed.

10,000 global deaths in 3 months seems a lot to me, especially as outside of a handful of countries most countries haven't reached peak infrections yet. The fact China are now reporting no infections seems like social distancing for a few months really works.