+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 79 of 350 FirstFirst ... 29697071727374757677787980818283848586878889129179 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 8745

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quite ironic considering all the fuss there was about them at the time;-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...l-uk-standards

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Quite ironic considering all the fuss there was about them at the time;-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...l-uk-standards
    Can you imagine if it was a labour government doing this?

Good post. I'm guessing here, but if "the science" were urging that we go for a herd immunity approach and the Government defied them from the start by insisting that was not on, I think we would have heard about it somehow by now. I thought it had been more or less accepted that it was the Jenkinson report saying as many as half a million could die in the U.K. that convinced the Government not to adopt a herd immunity approach?
    Ferguson, not Jenkinson, Lord knows where I got that from!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    We went into the so called lockdown too late.

Will we come out too early.

Latest feck up coming?
    We aren’t really coming out are we? So you can exercise a bit more? Bit of a joke that as 80% of the population probably never do anyway....
    It will be another 3 weeks until anything major can happen, small shops and schools etc....and yes it’s the right time, for wales at least.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Things would be very different if symptoms included a rash or spots or something.
    Why? My 5 year old had a rash all last summer, not a clue what it was or what caused it.....just a virus messing with the immune system we were told.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Why? My 5 year old had a rash all last summer, not a clue what it was or what caused it.....just a virus messing with the immune system we were told.
    Because if everyone who had covid got a rash (and it happened very early on) then it would be easier for people to be aware of it rather than it lying unseen for days.

Just a hypothetical to say that lockdown would be easier to manage, that's all.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by tell it like it is View Post
    I'm saying he made a specific claim...

Was it discussed internally, almost certainly. Plan? Doubt it.
    Doubt away -

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Doubt away -
    Which Vallance was criticised for by government, correct?

It's silly, to a degree you have to have a semblance of herd immunity till vaccine developed when you have something people can easily have with zero symptoms.

Heisenberg

Keep doubting:

Keep doubting:
    So still no evidence, as Delm claimed, of Johnson repeatedly stating that was the government policy?

Heisenberg

Which Vallance was criticised for by government, correct?

It's silly, to a degree you have to have a semblance of herd immunity till vaccine developed when you have something people can easily have with zero symptoms.
    I don't remember that. Just Googled "Vallance" "Government" "Criticise" and couldn't find anything to back up what you're saying, sorry. If you want to share a link, that would be helpful.

Heisenberg

So still no evidence, as Delm claimed, of Johnson repeatedly stating that was the government policy?
    You're really nitpicking now, aren't you? Delmbox was wrong about it being Johnson - he was right that it was repeatedly stated on TV that the Govt. policy was for "herd immunity".

Boris Johnson stated around the 13th March that "threre's no evidence to suggest cancelling sporting events will stop the spread" - which was during the "herd immunity" phase of the plan.

Edit: "slow the spread" not "stop"

You're really nitpicking now, aren't you? Delmbox was wrong about it being Johnson - he was right that it was repeatedly stated on TV that the Govt. policy was for "herd immunity".

Boris Johnson stated around the 13th March that "threre's no evidence to suggest cancelling sporting events will stop the spread" - which was during the "herd immunity" phase of the plan.
    Johnson stated on a This Morning interview the rational behind herd immunity as given to him. He then stated "but I disagree with it". Lo and behold, video then put on social media to show Johnson backed herd immunity - can you guess the bit edited out?

This thread regarding poor treatment of carer's and how it will have contributed to spread of coronavirus may be of interest: https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/st...43691010703360

Link 2 is to ITV page discussing disproportionate impact of coronavirus on BAME communities with report done in England: https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-01/...ths-ifs-study/

We've all lost during this. Some are losing more.

Heisenberg

Johnson stated on a This Morning interview the rational behind herd immunity as given to him. He then stated "but I disagree with it". Lo and behold, video then put on social media to show Johnson backed herd immunity - can you guess the bit edited out?
    Just watched the bits of the interview that you're referring to.

First of all, it was filmed (March 5th) a week before the "herd immunity" plan was announced, as far as I'm aware.

Secondly - he said that there needed to be balance - but that went out of the window when herd immunity was announced and 'lockdown' still wasn't on the horizon.

I'm not sure why you're digging your heels so hard to try to ignore the facts here.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Because if everyone who had covid got a rash (and it happened very early on) then it would be easier for people to be aware of it rather than it lying unseen for days.

Just a hypothetical to say that lockdown would be easier to manage, that's all.
    Oh right, yes it would be great if symptoms were that obvious....

I completely agree with finding this annoying and wrong. It's part of tapestry of misleading information which means an awful lot of people aren't making informed decisions about politics. There are a number of other examples I can provide if necessary.

In terms of this thread, it's likely that herd immunity was part of government strategy based on actions of UK government compared to rest of world and statements made by scientists advising government but I cannot see record of a government MP stating it was part of the plan. Someone has asked for link to government criticising Vallance which I'd also be interested in if you can help us out.

Just watched the bits of the interview that you're referring to.

First of all, it was filmed (March 5th) a week before the "herd immunity" plan was announced, as far as I'm aware.

Secondly - he said that there needed to be balance - but that went out of the window when herd immunity was announced and 'lockdown' still wasn't on the horizon.

I'm not sure why you're digging your heels so hard to try to ignore the facts here.
    Because he is that much of a tory, it's pathetic.

How to twist the facts so you can still think the sun shines out of Boris's arse

BEGINNING to think the government has ballsed things up but refuse to admit Boris might not be the new Churchill? Here’s what to tell yourself:

It’s too early to count the death toll

We don’t know which country has the highest death toll because it’s not over yet. This excuse is like believing your team could win a football match in the 90th minute when they’re eight goals down, but if it allows you to cling to the delusion that Boris will come out on top then carry on.

It’s the public’s fault for getting ill

If so many people hadn’t gone out and caught coronavirus they wouldn’t have died, so it’s their own stupid fault. They ignored Johnson’s half-hearted warnings not to do the stuff he was still doing, so he had to get it to show them they were being dangerous. He’s a hero like that.

This is no time to criticise the government

If you’ve got your head shoved so far up Boris’s bum that you can’t admit that things have gone badly wrong, you’re bound to bristle when journalists ask questions. They’re disloyal and the next disaster is on them. Just ram your head further up and everything will be fine.

People aren’t looking on the bright side

Optimism should be enforced by law, because imagine how many deaths there could have been. A million is way more than 30,000, so we’ve basically smashed it, right? And it’s all thanks to our leader being a total legend. Europe wishes they had him.

He just loves freedom so damn much

How can you ask a great man like Boris to go against his instincts? He loves the freedom to go to the pub so much that he’s willing to let millions of his fellow countrymen fall ill and die for it. It’s actually inspiring.
    I think we've actually had all 5 of these from a couple of posters in this thread

While results are through lens of us not testing enough yet, only one area of Wales has recorded more than 10 new cases for coronavirus today: https://twitter.com/LloydCymru/statu...990594/photo/2

Let's keep up the good work despite sunny bank holiday so the sooner we can see loved ones outside our immediate bubble.

There were more people being tested last week and yet the figure has not dropped accordingly, in fact it's more than on some days when there were more tests - although I suppose the high figure might be down to many of those kits sent out on the last two days of last week being returned at the same time, hopefully that will be the case.
    Nearly 20,000 more tests today and I think it was about 500 less new cases. Also, the R is now between 0.5 and 0.9, which is a reduction from three weeks ago, so that's not the maintaining of what we saw yesterday that I expressed concern about.

Nearly 20,000 more tests today and I think it was about 500 less new cases. Also, the R is now between 0.5 and 0.9, which is a reduction from three weeks ago, so that's not the maintaining of what we saw yesterday that I expressed concern about.
    The Government's perverse policy of counting tests that are sent out as tests completed must produce a slightly skewed result in the total of test results on subsequent days when they are returned and processed.

By the way, am I the only person who is bemused as the number of TV news people who stand very close to the foot of houses and flats and thrust a microphone up towards upstairs windows where their vox-pop interviewees talk to them, possibly spraying down microscopic spittle on the interviewers?

[QUOTE=Taunton Blue Genie;5074306]The Government's perverse policy of counting tests that are sent out as tests completed must produce a slightly skewed result in the total of test results on subsequent days when they are returned and processed.

No doubt tests will be stockpiled so that, amazingly, 200,000 tests are done on one day at the end of the month as the Saviour predicted.

By the way, am I the only person who is bemused as the number of TV news people who stand very close to the foot of houses and flats and thrust a microphone up towards upstairs windows where their vox-pop interviewees talk to them, possibly spraying down microscopic spittle on the interviewers?

Nope. Daft isn't it. Spittle, bogeys, bits of dust kicked off balconies all heading towards reporters below.
    Last edited by IanD; 07-05-20 at 18:40. Reason: Quotes clarified

WHO :: *no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel # coronavirus.

🤯

I take it from what's below that whatever Johnson announces on Sunday re easing lockdown restrictions will apply only to England.

Coronavirus: Schools in Wales not reopening on 1 June - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52580877

Schools in Wales will not re-open on 1 June after closing due to the coronavirus pandemic, Education Minister Kirsty Williams has said.