+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dash Cams

Dash Cams

I caught a piece on breakfast news earlier which showed horiffic incidents and crashes captured on dashboard camera, I think promoting a series or maybe one off programme.
    This bloke on there is an assessor/loss adjuster who works for insurance companies on accidents with fatalities and those with large claims.
    He was saying that everybody should have a camera both on the dashboard and the rear as it helps in many cases speed up claims and also identify these "crash for cash" scumbags.

I haven't got one but it did make me think about getting one, though I wouldnt have a clue what best to look for and the prices seem to vary considerably.

I thought worth asking the question on here if anyone has one and had experience of their usefulness and if so, what would they recommend?

Re: Dash Cams

Whenever I see a car being driven as if Lewis Hamilton is at the wheel, closer inspection invariably shows a dashcam in the car.
    I wonder if they're recording themselves either to show off on YouTube or to attempt to instigate an accident that footage will show isn't their fault.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Whenever I see a car being driven as if Lewis Hamilton is at the wheel, closer inspection invariably shows a dashcam in the car.
    I wonder if they're recording themselves either to show off on YouTube or to attempt to instigate an accident that footage will show isn't their fault.
    I have to admit that I have a similar sceptical feeling towards them too.
    The chap was saying that it wouldn't be long before these are incorporated into new car designs, whether he has a vested interest in such things or not I'm not too sure.

Although if you think about how some accidents occur, and it is difficult to prove the other person's liability settling for "knock for knock" then having a dash cam would prove this beyond doubt.

Also I suppose if you were on the wrong end of one of these bogus claims though, you might feel differently, I'm pretty sure I would.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I caught a piece on breakfast news earlier which showed horiffic incidents and crashes captured on dashboard camera, I think promoting a series or maybe one off programme.
    This bloke on there is an assessor/loss adjuster who works for insurance companies on accidents with fatalities and those with large claims.
    He was saying that everybody should have a camera both on the dashboard and the rear as it helps in many cases speed up claims and also identify these "crash for cash" scumbags.

I haven't got one but it did make me think about getting one, though I wouldnt have a clue what best to look for and the prices seem to vary considerably.

I thought worth asking the question on here if anyone has one and had experience of their usefulness and if so, what would they recommend?
    Ring Dash Cam RBGDC15 can't fault it for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    Ring Dash Cam RBGDC15 can't fault it for the price.
    I was going to ask you for the number til I googled it!
    Thanks Maxim

Pick one up for £30 from Amazon, wouldn't go anywhere without mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Philo2 View Post
    Pick one up for £30 from Amazon, wouldn't go anywhere without mine.

Sludge is something of an expert in setting up cameras for surveillance. Perhaps he can help.

Yesterday, while seeking a quote, I was asked if my new car had a dash cam. Presumably a discount is applied if you have one.

I use a nextbase one on my work vehicle, a precautionary device. When I renewed my insurance there was no discount available for having it fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    I use a nextbase one on my work vehicle, a precautionary device. When I renewed my insurance there was no discount available for having it fitted.
    https://www.confused.com/on-the-road...ance-discounts

Mine's a VIOFO A119 V2 Version Dash Cam (front).
    They do a VIOFO A129 Duo Dual (front & rear) Dash Cam also.