+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What were we all doing in the winter of 2014/2015

What were we all doing in the winter of 2014/2015

We must remember because there were over 30,000 flu-related deaths in the UK that winter.

Re: What were we all doing in the winter of 2014/2015

A lot of us were having the flu vaccine I seem to remember

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    A lot of us were having the flu vaccine I seem to remember
    Indeed, without which there would have many times more

I was first diagnosed with prostrate cancer.

Clear now

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post

Clear now
    Well done,had my own scare but all clear.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    We must remember because there were over 30,000 flu-related deaths in the UK that winter.
    Where did you get that figure?

This report says "A total of 16,415 excess all-age death registrations were estimated to have occurred in 2014 to 2015 which is significantly higher than seen during the past nine seasons (Table 4) including the last season of significant A(H3N2) activity in 2008 to 2009"

https://assets.publishing.service.go...h2015_ver4.pdf

Surveillance of influenza and other respiratory viruses in the United Kingdom: winter 2014 to 2015

Assuming everyone currently infected in Italy makes a full recovery they have a 5% fatality rate, corvid19 is far worse than flu.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post

Clear now
    Sounds like you didn't take it lying down...

Quote Originally Posted by Welshcake. View Post
    Assuming everyone currently infected in Italy makes a full recovery they have a 5% fatality rate, corvid19 is far worse than flu.
    Nobody in the UK has died from Corvid 19. 6 people have died 'with it', but had other underlying critical conditions.

Flu' kills tens of thousands some yrs in the uk - other yrs 4/5000.

How the f**k can it be worse. The amount of bullshit this Govt. and others is feeding people is amazing..

Nobody in the UK has died from Corvid 19. 6 people have died 'with it', but had other underlying critical conditions.

How the f**k can it be worse. The amount of bullshit this Govt. and others is feeding people is amazing..
    You'll be safe under that stone.

Covid 19 has caused widespread death and chaos in China, South Korea, Iran and Italy. They are four very different countries, there's probably nothing that they all have in common that you could point at as a reason for saying the same won't happen in the UK. I don't understand the complacency.

I've said it a few times, but it's not just about the death rate. It's about the massive strain that having huge numbers of people suddenly needing treatment puts on services.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Sat on a beach in 35 degrees of heat reading the uk flu updates and considering if I should have another beer

People talk about the influenza and corona virus like you get to choose between one or the other. You don't. People will still die of flu. However, the disease is a known quantity. Covid 19 is a new bug and as of now, now one knows how many people will become infected and what the outcome will be. So cast your mind back as far as you like, it still has no bearing on this new virus.

Seen as you're the flu facts man, could you tell us how many times have Italy quarantined their country due to the flu?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Sounds like you didn't take it lying down...
    I see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Where did you get that figure?

This report says "A total of 16,415 excess all-age death registrations were estimated to have occurred in 2014 to 2015 which is significantly higher than seen during the past nine seasons (Table 4) including the last season of significant A(H3N2) activity in 2008 to 2009"

https://assets.publishing.service.go...h2015_ver4.pdf

Surveillance of influenza and other respiratory viruses in the United Kingdom: winter 2014 to 2015
    Is population control a sport?

EDIT

I misread this..

What??!!

Flu doesn't kill people either it is usually the pneumonia that follows, exactly the same as corvid19. I would suggesting watching this informative video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZFhjMQrVts

What??!!

Flu doesn't kill people either it is usually the pneumonia that follows, exactly the same as corvid19. I would suggesting watching this informative video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZFhjMQrVts
    yes, that was exactly the point I'm making..

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Seen as you're the flu facts man, could you tell us how many times have Italy quarantined their country due to the flu?
    None I presume, which is pretty much what my point is. However you are looking for the facts, and the facts are, this virus is tiny in it's effect compared with 'flu. But of course we live in a World governed by the media and dare anyone defy the prevailing zeitgeist..

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    People talk about the influenza and corona virus like you get to choose between one or the other. You don't. People will still die of flu. However, the disease is a known quantity. Covid 19 is a new bug and as of now, now one knows how many people will become infected and what the outcome will be. So cast your mind back as far as you like, it still has no bearing on this new virus.
    Exactly.

I find the comparisons to starvation more impactful. Can you imagine how much better the world would be if we came together with the same focus to push back against poverty, climate change, lack of water?

You are about 10 times more likely to die if you catch Covid 19 than if you catch flu.