+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cancelling Car Insurance

Cancelling Car Insurance

Hello Oh Wise Forum of All Knowledge, My insurance company wish to charge me £60 for the privilege me making one phone call and cancelling my car insurance as I am about to buy a camper van and can get cheaper insurance elsewhere.

What happens if I don't pay this form of legal theft? Will I end up with bailiffs at my front door, or will they just send me threatening letters and then after a while write off the fact that I have ignored them?
    Last edited by Mr Soul '68; 12-03-20 at 14:50. Reason: spelling

Re: Cancelling Car Insurance

It's part of the contract so you are liable - they will probably sell the debt on at some time, and then that company will charge you all sorts of fess before you go to court.

Also don't forget that insurance companies talk together and share information - so don't be surprised if your next renewal goes through the roof.

Thanks for this info Toadstool Hmmm...guess I'd better cough up though it grates with me bigtime. Feckin' low-life thieves

How long is left on it ????

I just let mine run out as it was cheaper than cancelling it

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Hello Oh Wise Forum of All Knowledge, My insurance company wish to charge me £60 for the privilege me making one phone call and cancelling my car insurance as I am about to buy a camper van and can get cheaper insurance elsewhere.

What happens if I don't pay this form of legal theft? Will I end up with bailiffs at my front door, or will they just send me threatening letters and then after a while write off the fact that I have ignored them?
    Something that’s worth knowing about camper van insurance I didn’t know a few years ago, took my 9 years of no claims to the camper van with me, 3 years later though I couldn’t take any of it back with me to insure a car. All gone so had to start again with zero years no claims resulting in very expensive car insurance despite never having an accident ever.

To be fair you have signed a contract for 12 months, a cancellation fee is pretty fair otherwise people will be taking advantage in all sorts of ways.