+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CONFIRMED: EFL suspends all games until at least April 3

Re: CONFIRMED: EFL suspends all games until at least April 3

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    It's a PR move. The government is anticipating that the number of cases in the UK will peak at the end of May or the beginning of June.
    Doubt it's PR. It's not a popular thing to do.

More likely it's to slow down the spread, rather than reduce it. Better to have 50,000 cases over eight weeks than four.

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    I'll make a prediction. The whole season will be cancelled by May and there will be calls for Liverpool to be given the title, despite not actually winning it. It won't be given to them and they'll spend the next 40 years banging on about it.
    The games are possibly cancelled because of player quarantine, not fans. In a few weeks, if there's no more cases within squads, I expect they'll play games behind closed doors.

Will the pools panel sit

Re: EFL expected to suspend all games until April 4 - Sky breaking news

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    The right thing to do. Now lets forget about football for a month and let the players have a break. Might do them good.
    Do these clowns think we will all have a break and resume as if nothing is wrong in a few weeks? The virus will be peaking then. Such a stupid knee jerk reaction to panic.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    An absolutely outrageous decision. This will come back to bite someone on the arse. No doubt.

Isn't there anyone that can stop this? Who is politically the most powerful person in Cardiff?
    This is as irresponsible as it gets.

People walking around unknowingly spreading the virus when people all over Europe are being advised to stay indoors and only travel if necessary.

I think they will cancel the euros until next year, and extend the present season until June

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    I think they will cancel the euros until next year, and extend the present season until June
    Think there's a good chance of this

I hope they go for cancelling the whole domestic leagues and it's as you were in August 2019 but this certainly sounds the more sensible option.

Then again, when was the last time UEFA made a sensible decision?

It’s an absolute disgrace that the WRU are pushing on with playing a dead rubber tomorrow. Utterly Negligent at the very best. 125,000 people in the stadium and around town, we’re going to see a very big spike in South Wales over the next few weeks. Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Doubt it's PR. It's not a popular thing to do.

More likely it's to slow down the spread, rather than reduce it. Better to have 50,000 cases over eight weeks than four.
    It's very popular. Look at the flak the WRU is getting for going ahead with the rugby tomorrow, despite there being no government advice to cancel it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Do these clowns think we will all have a break and resume as if nothing is wrong in a few weeks? The virus will be peaking then. Such a stupid knee jerk reaction to panic.
    What do you think they should have done then Dave Blue? Bearing in mind 3 Premier League Squads are already in isolation because of players or management having Coronavirus? Genuinely interested in what you think the plan should be

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    It's very popular. Look at the flak the WRU is getting for going ahead with the rugby tomorrow, despite there being no government advice to cancel it.
    There's a difference between making a logical decision and one that's popular. I don't think many football fans can say that they're happy that games are postponed. Particularly so the threat of the Euros not going ahead, think of all the time and effort it's taken fans to plan and organise their travel and accommodation, not forgetting the cost involved.

Just for the record.. I'm in favour of the postponment.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    What do you think they should have done then Dave Blue? Bearing in mind 3 Premier League Squads are already in isolation because of players or management having Coronavirus? Genuinely interested in what you think the plan should be
    Take the medical expert’s advice. That might be a good start. As it is now, they may as well cancel the season not this ridiculous few weeks and review thing.

Take the medical expert’s advice. That might be a good start. As it is now, they may as well cancel the season not this ridiculous few weeks and review thing.
    I’m more likely to catch something in a packed cafe.

Surely it makes more sense to postpone the season and review rather than press the nuclear button of cancelling it straight off the bat?

Also there's already 3 teams down who can't play because of Coronavirus (Leicester, Chelsea, Arsenal), so if your opinion is you want to carry on, after how many teams are in isolation do you think that the league should be postponed? 6? 8? 14?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I hope they go for cancelling the whole domestic leagues and it's as you were in August 2019 but this certainly sounds the more sensible option.

Then again, when was the last time UEFA made a sensible decision?
    And they should give us another parachute payment while they're at it, while also ruling any signings we made between May and September last year null and void.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    It’s an absolute disgrace that the WRU are pushing on with playing a dead rubber tomorrow. Utterly Negligent at the very best. 125,000 people in the stadium and around town, we’re going to see a very big spike in South Wales over the next few weeks. Ridiculous.
    Wonder if they're insisting that the game goes ahead because Alun Wyn Jones will equal Richie Macaw's world record for caps.

If he doesn't equal the record tomorrow then it cant be certain that he ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    And they should give us another parachute payment while they're at it, while also ruling any signings we made between May and September last year null and void.
    And any manager that was in place in August is reinstated.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Wonder if they're insisting that the game goes ahead because Alun Wyn Jones will equal Richie Macaw's world record for caps.

If he doesn't equal the record tomorrow then it cant be certain that he ever will.
    In a world of crazy conspiracy about theories about this, this is up there

I think the powers that be will look back at the events in Cheltenham (racing) and Cardiff (rugby) in early March with regret. Will a large proportion of new virus cases be traced back to those 2 events in 2 or 3 weeks time I wonder?

Just read the announcement.They must have read my post!

I can't believe Cheltenham went ahead

The experts (now back in fashion) are predicting that the height of the outbreak in the UK will be in 10-14 weeks time and will then gradually reduce - although the plan is to stretch out and flatten the spike as much as possible.

That does not sound like a time frame that will allow a domestic football season to be completed by extending the season for 4-6 weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post